Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess I'm older than I thought. I remembered every one. Although, we didn't get our milk delivered, Mom and Dad said they couldn't afford that, we used powered milk. That was so true about not leaving the table without permission, but Dad said a prayer before every meal. We rode the school bus to and from school. If you wanted to go any where you "thumbed" a ride. Dammed up the creek every summer so we could go swimming. We had an old Willy's pickup with 6 volt and start button on floor. Also don't forget the dimmer switch on the floor. How about push button automatic transmission on my old '63 Plymouth Belvedere? Wow! I am older than dirt!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I remember almost all of them. I still have that stopper too just can't find a glass bottle to use it in.
"I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old."
I would play in the lower cupboards while Mom ironed, and she would sprinkle the water on me if I got to loud.
My Dad was a milkman, I remember he would come home around 9-10 am and we would raid his truck for A Orange Drink, boy would he get mad. Then back to work he went.
We also slept with the inside door opened and the screen door wasn't locked either. Boy what memories.
Thanks, tb

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:26 PM   #17

I remember a time as a kid,,, my family (grandparents, great uncles, etc) were farmers in MO... My Dad took me to a farm of the family, they had a BIG (to me) John Deer tractor, I remember him releasing the compression valve, and spinning the Big flywheel on the side of the tractor to start it... This was Not a museum piece, they used it... We drove around the field on it... Now I'm restoring a "throttle governed" Witte engine from my great uncles farm,, engine built in 1924... Can't wait to see it run again... Yes I'm old.....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:54 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
25 out of 25. Guess I'm older than dirt. We even had a bakery truck come by twice a week selling breads and pastries. That wasn't on the list. If I thought about it for a while, I might think of others.

Oh, the rag man coming by once a month or so collecting rags. My mother darning socks (my feet still hurt from that). How about a guy with a push cart selling popcorn during the summer? That was an easy sell because all of the neighborhood spent warm summer evening sitting on the front porch because the houses were too hot ( no AC). We knew all of our neighbors - not a single "privacy fence" in the neighborhood. ( I cut the top 12 inches off the fence around our yard so I talk to the neighbors - the fence need be only big enough to keep the dogs in the yard and the coyotes out).
chasmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:50 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
When I was in junior High School in Middle River, Md- I had my own paper route, and I also worked on the milk truck delivering milk. Remember in freezing weather the paper seal in the top of the milk bottle would pop and we would scoop off the cream "slush" that was standing up. (Our milk of course, not the customers)
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I remember a time as a kid,,, my family (grandparents, great uncles, etc) were farmers in MO... My Dad took me to a farm of the family, they had a BIG (to me) John Deer tractor, I remember him releasing the compression valve, and spinning the Big flywheel on the side of the tractor to start it... This was Not a museum piece, they used it... We drove around the field on it... Now I'm restoring a "throttle governed" Witte engine from my great uncles farm,, engine built in 1924... Can't wait to see it run again... Yes I'm old.....
Oh ya, those old "two put jonnies". (2 cylinder John Deer tractors) They made a very distinctive sound that I will never forget. And, we always called that compression release valve a "Spit Cock" After you got the engine running it would "Spit "out that valve until you closed it.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #21

Carolina Campers
In grade school (what is that?), we had a one room wooden school building with a bell steeple, there were eight grades in one room, we only had one teacher that taught all eight grades, and that was a public school (do they still call them public schools?).

Our Mom sent lunch. We did not have a separate lunch room, let alone hot lunches served in a cafeteria, and if it was not raining, we ate outside on the front porch.

Our peanut butter and jelly sandwich was wrapped in wax paper (if we were lucky enough to afford it). By lunch time the sandwich was half dried out anyway.

Children were to be seen, not heard. We knew what a razor strap was for, and we tried to avoid getting spanked with it. If our teacher thought we did something bad, we went up in front of the class and the teacher took a large flat wooden paddle off the hook it hanged on and had us grab our ankles. We tried to avoid getting swatted with that paddle. If we did, we knew that would be the least of it... Just wait until you got home and had to face Dad's belt.

Mothers stayed home, they did not work. They either did what Dad wanted them to do or they faced the wrath of the razor strap as well. If they complained to the police that their husband beat them, they were said to have a nervous condition, and many times may face being sent to spend time in a "sanatorium" until they learned how to go home and be a good wife.

Ya, the good old days....
Old 02-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm so old I can remember the name of all of the Nija turtles, bought gas for $1.00 and can remember Jay Leno's first night doing the Tonight Show!

Much older than that, but that's what I can remember! lol
Old 02-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only old geezer on this forum!

BTW, one of our great Moderators sent me a PM reminding me of the forum rules concerning large print, colored print, etc. I copied this article from an e-mail somebody sent me and didn't think about it violating the rules. He was very nice about it, as our Moderators always are, and I appreciated him calling my attention to it. Thanks again Bruce!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #24

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
I'm so old I can remember the name of all of the Nija turtles, bought gas for $1.00 and can remember Jay Leno's first night doing the Tonight Show! Much older than that, but that's what I can remember! lol
I remember when transistor radios came out.... When Kennedy was assassinated... The first man to walk on the moon.... (unless that was just a hoax)... I remember the first walk in space... The first astronaut (poor monkey)....

Gas was .35 per gallon, and if there was a "gas war" between competitors, it got as low as .05 per gallon...

Cigarettes were .35 a pack (luckily I quit then because it cost too much)...
Old 02-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #25
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
I'm so old I can remember the name of all of the Nija turtles, bought gas for $1.00 and can remember Jay Leno's first night doing the Tonight Show!

Much older than that, but that's what I can remember! lol

You paid $1.00 for gas! I remember buying it for 30 cents a gallon!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #26
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
You paid $1.00 for gas! I remember buying it for 30 cents a gallon!
In Calif. in 1970 , gas was .26 and if you said fill it up , you got a free car wash. Loved those gas wars between stations .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
In Calif. in 1970 , gas was .26 and if you said fill it up , you got a free car wash. Loved those gas wars between stations .
You aren't that old I filled up my 63 Super Sport for 5 bucks.
Cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #28

Carolina Campers
Remember when a pack of gum was a nickel.