Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Older than dirt!

All the food was slow
... THOUGHT SOME OF YOU MIGHT ENJOY THIS ...

'Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,'

I informed him.

'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained. !

'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, never woreLevis, never set foot on a golf course, never traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only atSears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears &Roebuck.

Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer.

I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow)

We had a television in our house.

It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.

I was 21 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie.' When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers--my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which he got to keep 2 cents. He had to get up at6AM every morning.

On Saturday, he had to collect the 42 cents from his customers. His favorite customers were the ones who gave him 50 cents and told him to keep the change. His least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren

Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend :

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.

Ignition switches on the dashboard.

Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.

Real ice boxes.

Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.

Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.

Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz :

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about. Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with tableside jukeboxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lineson the telephone
8 Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11.. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels...[if you were fortunate])

12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15.S&H green stamps
16. Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19. Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22.Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older

If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You' re older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the bestparts of my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your really
OLDfriends

MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #2

I'm older than dirt, BUT , growing old beats the he.. , out of the only alternative.

Only missed one on the list.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #3

I guess I fit into the Dirt Class,,,, Thanks for the memories.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
About 12 yrs ago when we lived in FL, Thom and our youngest son was cleaning out from under the house. Justin was about 14 or so at the time. The house was one of those old cracker style houses that were on stilts. It even still had cloth rapped wiring thru most of the house till Thom rewired it.
Anyway while cleaning out from under it all the old bottles and stuff from past people that lived there they found something.
Justin asked "what is it this"
Thom's response was "You don't know what that is?"
Justin "No that's why I asked. So what is it?"
Thom "Go ask your mom."
He brings it in and asks me what is it and my response ... "You mean you don't know what that is? How could you not know what it is !?!?!? Go on and make me feel old!?!? Really you don't know?" Ya I kinda lost it a little that he did not what that was ....

What was it? An old "pop top" from the "old way" to open cans .....
Old 02-04-2014, 11:33 AM   #5

My daughter always says I am older than dirt, and now you proved it! I remember each and every one of those even down to the cost for the newspaper.
Thanks for the memories.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #6

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Who took this picture of my "church key"?
Old 02-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
My Pace Arrow still has the key on the dash, and the dimmer switch on the floor. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #9

WOW, Guess I am older than dirt too. I remember all those things. Still say the best days..
LinCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:26 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I remember much of that.. An old Kellogg Crank Telephone.

Though Milk was never delivered TO our house... (Grew up on a dairy farm, the excess milk was hauled away).

NOTE: On a political note (not really) Growing up on a dairy farm is good experience for a future voter. You see. When politicians speak, I get Deja Moo (The feeling that I've shoveled that stuff before).
Old 02-04-2014, 03:21 PM   #11

How about the auto starter button on the floor?. Anybody ever had a ding dong bell mounted under the floor with the plunger sticking up to step on? I invented dirt.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #12

I'm not suppose to tell my age.
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker art View Post
How about the auto starter button on the floor?. Anybody ever had a ding dong bell mounted under the floor with the plunger sticking up to step on? I invented dirt.

Also, the brake and clutch pedals that went down through a grove in the floor. And then the dust and cold air came back up through that grove. (And, the burnt oil smell from the engine too because the engine crankcase was just vented out on the ground below the engine)

My dad and grandfather bought there first pickup in 1948. It was a Dodge and they used it on the farm. My dad drove that until 1970 then he just couldn't get it to start anymore. In 1970 he bought a brand new Ford F-250 but, we had very little money so the Ford had no power steering or brakes. In fact it had a radio delete plate and didn't even have a AM radio. He drove that truck until he retired from farming around 1991-92 or so. The he bought a used 1978 F-150 from a neighbors widow. He drove that until he died.

How many people these days live, and farm, their whole life using only 3 pickups. (Heck, I've had 5 already and I'm only 50)
Caveman CBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #14

The only one I didn't get was the BlackJack gum, maybe a regional thing?

Oh and my first school only had four rooms with 2 grades in each room. What you might have missed in one grade you could pick up the next year.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote