Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On another forum a .....

member is talking about taking it from WA to CA to live in while working there for about four months at a time.
I looked into that when I was doing IT contracting. Found that I would have to title and license the RV in CA after 30 days (as I remember) even though I had a house in WA. Is that still true? It was 8 years or so ago since I looked into it.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hmm, I have a couple friends who travel (WA. to Palm Springs) every year and have no issues. They stay for 2-3 months each year.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I doubt they can make somebody do that unless they actually declare the new state as their residence. I know that here in MA they get funky about people who live here trying to register their vehicles in NH or VT because registration and insurance are cheaper, but "vacationing" for even a few months would seem like a different issue.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:06 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I know people that bring their vehicles from other states that work here at the local Air Force base. They are not military, just contractor employees. They leave their licenses from home state in place, as their just temp working here, months at a time.
I have even smogged vehicles for them here so they could fax or mail it back to their DMV for their tags. They just send a letter along saying they are out of state when their tags were due.

Although, I believe those employees are working as if on temporary assignment from their home states office.

Also...as long as the person has current tags from home state, and drivers license too, it won't be a problem.

I once kept a car here from NC for 6 yrs because registration and insurance was 1/4 of what Ca. wanted me to pay. I had a house rented out in NC, but lived and worked here in Ca.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
They must have changed it then, because when I checked into it with the Board of Equalization (going from memory so that might be wrong) I was told what I first posted.

Well, here's something from the CA DMV:
Quote:
Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties. Any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered within 20 days of entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:
  • Accept gainful employment in California.
  • Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
  • Rent or lease a residence in California.
  • Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
  • Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).
NOTE: Nonresident military personnel stationed in California or their spouses may operate their vehicles with valid out-of-state license plates from their home state or the state where the military person was last stationed.
Looks to me like they still have the requirement if you're employed in CA. Not sure if renting a spot in a RV park is considered a "residence" but the gainful employment could still prevail.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:34 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Accept gainful employment in California.
That IS the big question.

If the company you work for is from another state, and you came here as an employee or even a contractor for that company, then you are on temporary assignment. (unless you BUY a house). Much like being in the military.

I had to get "trained" by the human resources dept on the following information so I could understand the laws & taxes implications I may face.

When I worked for Rockwell on Space Shuttle, here in CA, we had people going back and forth from Fla to Ca, and vica versa. We called it "per-diem" work, and got a premium pay for it. Sometimes for several months at a time.

We paid our taxes, and kept our vehicles registered in our "home" state of residence. IE: when I owned a house in CA & worked here normally, but went to Fla for several months, and even leased a condo on the beach there, I was not taxed in Fla, nor registered my car there.

Our paycheck came from our home state. We opened bank accounts in the other state to cash our checks.

People I knew did the opposite, and came from Fla to CA to work "temporarily".

SO...if you come to CA in your RV and just take a job from a CA company, then yes, you will need to register your vehicle and get a drivers lic in CA.

Bummer !!! So.....just keep that quiet, and all will be well. Why....because the OP said it was just gonna be for a few months. So who cares.

If you get stopped for a traffic violation, and your out of state license stuff is all valid, then just say you are visiting, because you really are just visiting.

I have lived in CA 3x, Tenn 1, NC 1, Fla 2x

Also....if they take CA state income taxes, be sure to file a CA tax return on the $$ you made here while "visiting".
Old 12-30-2011, 01:08 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I looked into it the employment would have been for a CA company in CA so....
Another one was for a CA company but I would have been based in my home state of WA and just in CA to work on the main servers.
Some was contract work too.

Anyway, what I found out kept me from taking the first job, the second one I was in the top two and the other person got the job so I didn't have to worry about it!!

Uh... if you worked there then you weren't "visiting"! Then it's "gainful employment".

Tags
forum