Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
We will also be starting one along with a new house in a couple of months. I am thinking of putting a drain in the center. I haven't noticed one in any of the pics I have seen of those you all are building. Any particular reason why you don't have one?

I am thinking about coming in from a trip with a wet motorhome, having to hose down a spill, etc.

Don
I have 24/7 access year round to a free one at the city municipal works yard less than 1/2 mile from the house and another one at my shop a few more buildings away from there. It was not worth the extra expense and paperwork to do it not to mention having to tear of more of the yard.

I'll most likely have it piped in when they lay the floor next week to a few feet outside the building just in case I change my mind or something changes in the future.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #16

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee
Headed to CA for 3 months so I will have to count on the DW to keep sending me pictures.

I think I will mis the asphalt when the snow comes, seems that the blacktop driveways melt the snow away quicker. The asphalt just wouldn't support the weight of the RV on hot summer days, even with pads under the jacks it would leave some depression. I imagine with out pad I could drive the jacks all the way through the asphalt.
You can always have the entire drive stained to help increase winter heat gain and melt the snow faster. And you now have the extra time and money you save from not having to reseal the asphalt

4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
You can always have the entire drive stained to help increase winter heat gain and melt the snow faster. And you now have the extra time and money you save from not having to reseal the asphalt
I may try the stain idea.

Hope to not be here during the winters to have to worry about snow.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I have 24/7 access year round to a free one at the city municipal works yard less than 1/2 mile from the house and another one at my shop a few more buildings away from there. It was not worth the extra expense and paperwork to do it not to mention having to tear of more of the yard.

I'll most likely have it piped in when they lay the floor next week to a few feet outside the building just in case I change my mind or something changes in the future.
Didn't have to dig up all the way to the street. Had an existing line about 40' away we were able to T into.

Our closest free dump is 30 miles away. Now the closest free dump is couple feet away. DW is still a bit mad about the trench theta went through her flower bed.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #19

Just a thought, has anyone built a RV garage with a maintenance pit in it for oil changes etc. It just would be on a wish list for me I think. You could save a ton on Lubes and such,
Old 05-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I did not consider it. I'm much happier dropping it off at the CAT shop and picking it up when the finish.

THe pit would be a great feature for those of you who do your own maintenance.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I may try the stain idea.
I was originally going to have the floor mixed to machinery gray, for light gray it was $20. per cubic yard up to $120. for the darker gray so that came to almost $2900. for the floor coloring still with no sealer, I opted out of that

Quote:
Didn't have to dig up all the way to the street. Had an existing line about 40' away we were able to T into.

I would have had to come down one side of the house then turn right across the front of the house to tie into the line which is about 10' under ground, if I ran straight beside the house and tied into the street (I'm on a corner lot) I would have had to pay another set of sewer, garbage, and run off fees every month

Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson View Post
Just a thought, has anyone built a RV garage with a maintenance pit in it for oil changes etc. It just would be on a wish list for me I think. You could save a ton on Lubes and such,
With the smooth floor, a good creeper and 2 6"X6"X3' blocks with angles cut in one end of them I just drive the front wheels onto the blocks and fit under it with no problems and I don't have to put it on safety stands. One time I put a 6X6 under each wheel but only once because I did not need the under body clearance.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
SHould have thought about while having it mixed.

If I had to go that far with trenching I would have stayed with the pay dump here in town.

My biggest gripe is paying for the blacktop disposal. We only have one place here that will take it. They give the guys tearing up the interstate $3.00 a load for their asphalt but since they are afraid contractors will dump dirt and other debris they charge $20.00 a load to dump the old asphalt.

Happy with concrete price, negotiated from $85.00 per yard to $73.00 per yard based on the volume.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #23

Quote:
SHould have thought about while having it mixed.

If I had to go that far with trenching I would have stayed with the pay dump here in town.

My biggest gripe is paying for the blacktop disposal. We only have one place here that will take it. They give the guys tearing up the interstate $3.00 a load for their asphalt but since they are afraid contractors will dump dirt and other debris they charge $20.00 a load to dump the old asphalt.

Happy with concrete price, negotiated from $85.00 per yard to $73.00 per yard based on the volume.
Good price on the concrete, they recycle the clean asphalt so that's what causes the price increase. They can use asphalt with dirt and stone as back fill, if someone is trying to bring the grade up around you.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The city building inspector told me Ohio no longer allows asphalt for fill. Says it contaminates the ground water. Makes me wonder where all the water goes that runs off all the asphalt roads in Ohio???????
Old 06-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The driveway is finished and has cured sufficiently to allow me to pull the MH in to the soon to be garage.

Went 17' wide on entrance and exit runs and 26' wide in front of the house to allow a clear path out with cars parked in front of the house.

The curvy side of the driveway is the exit, the straighter side is the entrance. After pulling past the new garage area I start the MH up the exit side and that leaves lined up to back straight in to the MH bay. I have pushed up against the side now so we can still get our cars in and out of the existing garage.

Electrician completed the installation of the 50 Amp service last week.

Waiting on final quotes for the steel beams to carry the roof weight. The garage is 49' x 52" with no internal walls so had to go with 4 internal steel columns and 2 ceiling beams to supper the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0595.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	624.2 KB
ID:	22073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0598.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	22074  

Name:	IMG_0594.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	762.7 KB
ID:	22075   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0597.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	606.0 KB
ID:	22076  

Name:	IMG_0592.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	783.8 KB
ID:	22077  
Old 06-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WOW. That looks AWESOME, Dennis! I'm green with envy!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
That is looking great. How many yards of concrete is that?

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
That is looking great. How many yards of concrete is that?

ronspradley
219 on the driveway, i forget how many were needed for the garage pad and foundation