Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2011, 04:24 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
On the quest for a dually fender alternative

Hey folks, for those that may or may not know, I am in the process of swapping in a D70 dually rear end onto my early 90s dodge pickup. This project has been fun and I've managed to keep the total cost of it, including the purchase of the axle, six actual early 90s dodge dually rims, a complete seal and brake rebuild on the axle to $500 so far. I've been research dually fenders and unfortunately the original ones from the period of my truck are rather hard to find and from a little research, unlikely to fit properly as the flaring of the opening on the single rear wheel bed is slightly different than the dually bed.

So, at current, I'm looking for an inexpensive fender flare alternative. One possibility were Omix-Ada jeep flares, but their website doesn't have any prices on them, and they appear to only come in sets of 4. Also, the max they seem to be wide is 7", which may not be wide enough to properly cover the outer wheel.

This brings me to my request for help in locating other fender alternatives. I'd like to keep it rather simple like the original dodge fenders which weren't full hips like the 94 and later generations had. Also, I don't have a terribly large amount of cash to spend on them, which further complicates matters.

So, any suggestions?

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Googling 'dually conversion' found several sources, as well as reports from people who have done or are doing it. Whether they fit your budget or not...
DuallyFendersUSA.com
Adaptors, Wheels, Duality Fenders and Complete Kits - Arrowcraft :: Helping You Handle the Road for over 30 years!
Dually Wheels Adapter Conversion Kits

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
AFAIK, the 1st gen Dodge duallies used standard SRW fenders that had been Sawzalled and then had bolt-on flares installed. There should be any number of aftermarket (internet) sources for 1st gen OEM Dodge replacement flares.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
AFAIK, the 1st gen Dodge duallies used standard SRW fenders that had been Sawzalled and then had bolt-on flares installed. There should be any number of aftermarket (internet) sources for 1st gen OEM Dodge replacement flares.

Rusty
I've found several, but none within my budget range. Most quotes have come in at $500 for two fiberglass fenders.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote