Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
Ford Super Duty Owner
on the road

I have dumb question;
what is the law for having a open bottle of booze in the kitchen area while driving down the road?
I don't drink at all but my friend wants to bring a bottle of GIN and maybe have a drink or 2 on the road.

Albuquerque, N.M.
Sonny & Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have liquor in my MH at all times. In my province it is OK as long as it is not within my grasp while driving. I think this all depends on the powers that have jurisdiction in the province / state you drive in.

Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
and what kind of day the LEO is having...
1999 Winnebago Minnie 29', Ford V10, Close to stock.
W4MBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Many times the law uses the back of the drivers seat as the dividing line between drivers operating area and the "home" portion of a motorhome. So your friend sitting on the couch drinking may not be in violation, but if he were sitting in the passenger seat he probably would be in violation.

My guess is, that anytime a traffic stop was made there would be a lag time between when the lights went on and when the officer was able to visually identify someone drinking an alcoholic beverage inside my MH. Anyone still holding an alcoholic beverage when he got to the door probably deserves a ticket. I'm pretty sure that any beverages still in sight would be soda pop in my MH.

Just my thoughts, and I've been wrong before.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sonny, for what reason would they be going in your MH to find it?
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
For "officer safety" the officer will often want to determine how many people are aboard and see what their state of mind is. This is much easier in a car or pickup, more difficult in a van or motorhome. He/she does not want surprises, for obvious reasons.

If there are half a dozen obviously intoxicated passengers, yelling about the F'n cops harrasing us, it's a little different story than if it's my wife and I with a small dog. Seems like a reasonable request to look in and see the situation. I'm sure you can refuse to allow him to look in. That's probably well within your rights. I imagine there might also be a couple of hours between when you're stopped and when the officer gets off duty. He can spend them with you checking lights, and safety equipment, or he can spend them with other duties. I'll bet his paycheck stays the same either way.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Hi Sonny & Pam,
It depends on:
1. the state
2. time of the month
3. slow crime day
4. individual officer's mood
5. individual officer's attitude

There are a bunch more that could be listed. For me, the bottom line is consider treating alcohol the same as a gun.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #8
Thor Owners Club
Best advice would be to tell your friend to wait until after the drive. Whey put yourself in a potential jam. Common sense rules the day
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
We keep our hard stuff under the sink behind closed doors and the cold stuff in the frig unopened. Can't get in trouble that way.
When we come back into the USA from Mexico in the Motor Home [yes we still go into Mexico with the MH], the Border inspectors ask how much booze are we bring back from Mexico. Our answer is always the same 2 bottles each.
Remember that's all you are allowed each 30 days and they do put that in the computer.
2005 KSDP 3910-----2007 Jeep Liberty

read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks all; I think I'll just leave the booze at home!!!!!
Pam or I don't drink at all so we wont miss it.
On the other hand friends wife will always have a drink in her hand.

Albuquerque, N.M.
Sonny & Pam is offline   Reply With Quote