Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2005, 06:43 AM   #57
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
While we were in Rapid City we enjoyed some remarkably good weather and this day was no exception. It's a bit cool in the morning but the daytime temperature hovered in the low seventies for the duration that we were there. From where we were in the RC-KOA, I could look off of the rise that we were on to the South and clearly see the out line of the Black Hills. We prepared a small cooler of beverages like we normally do and rolled out of the campground right on the 44 and left on the 16 south to Mount Rushmore National Memorial.

Welcome to Mount Rushmore National Memorial

It doesn't take very long after you're on 16 to begin climbing into the foot hills. The highway is nice being concrete and 4 lanes wide for most of the time. This road is one of the most scenic in America as it skirts the jagged rocks and Ponderosa pines that give the hills their name. The Black Hills National Forest surrounds the granite core of Paha Sapa. As we make our way through the forest and on up 16 to get to Rushmore you take a right turn on route 244 and right into the park entrance. Before you get into the park glimpses of the statues appear over the tree line as you make your way up 244.

The entrance to the Memorial is flanked by Ponderosa Pines and benches

The parking facility there is quite large consisting of 3 to 4 levels on parking enclosed in a garage. Stairs are used to get up to the main entrance. Walking in toward the monument among the many visitors at the monument on this sunny day gave us a feeling of reverence. I can only imagine how many people have been here before us knowing that the Black Hills are visited by more than 4 million persons annually. Once it sunk in that I was standing in front of this beautiful monument all of those perceptions that I had before I came here all fell into place. It is big and it certainly is beautiful.

A monument's dimensions should be determined by the importance to civilization of the events commemorated....Let us place there, carved high, as close to heaven as we can, the words of our leaders, their faces, to show posterity what manner of men they were. Then breathe a prayer that these records will endure until the wind and the rain alone shall wear them away" Gutzon Borglum

The Presidents of the US, George, Tom, Teddy, and Abe

The monument is approached via a peaceful walk framed by pine trees and benches. As you enter the monument the polished walls of granite provide a backdrop for a bust of Gutzon Borglum, created by his son Lincoln, of the architect and builder of the monument and opposite is a large tablet with all the names of the men that worked here. Continuing toward the monument you pass through a concourse that holds the flag of every state in the Union by date of admission.

The Grand View Terrace gives you the closest approach to the monument and looking over the wall you can see the amphitheater that is used for the evening light show. Off to the sides are the entrances to the Lincoln Borglum Museum and contained there are memorabilia from the construction as well as pictures of every day activities of the men and how they spent their time on the mountain. There is a comfortable spot to sit in and watch a brief movie about Rushmore and its creators. There is a souvenir shop where one can buy any number of books or other merchandise about Mount Rushmore.

The Lincoln Borglum Museum in the lower levels off of the Grand View Terrace

Taking a path from the Grand View Terrace you can walk via a wooded walkway with numerous stairs toward the base of the statues and across the lower portion of the tons of stones that were blasted off the mountain. You can see the drill marks in the stones while you're walking by the fields or fallen rock. Both the mountain and the forest refresh as you find a comfortable bench to sit on and pause a moment as you make your way to the sculptor's studio. Gutzon Borglum's studio features a large plaster cast of the mountain that was used in the carving process for matters of scale and proportion. Basically the entire mountain was carved by duplicating the measurements obtained form the smaller piece to the larger piece.

A peaceful walk through the woods and across the base of the Memorial

I hope that you can make your way to South Dakota someday and come and see this memorial, it's worth the trip, and its something that you will definitely take back with you for the rest of your life. What was seen on your TV or a picture in a book quickly turns into reality when you view the Memorial in person and feel the wind and sun on your face. As your senses take in the magnificent work that fellow Americans have created for the ages, you can only be grateful that these men risked much to provide us with this timeless artwork.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2005, 01:52 PM   #58

Workhorse Chassis Owner
He DriVer, gotta deal for ya, Im leaving tomorrow for a 3-4 month swing thru the East, while you are in Casa Grande, Az. in Aug, I'll be in Branford Ct. If you will gobble a couple bowls of Frijoles for me, I'll get around a couple o' bowls of "Chowda", at the "Chowder Pot" for you.. OK??.. BTW, didn't ever hear you say if you were going to make the Nov. NASCAR race in Phoenix...rgr...

rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 03:00 PM   #59
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rgrstndgby:
If you will gobble a couple bowls of Frijoles for me, I'll get around a couple o' bowls of "Chowda", at the "Chowder Pot" for you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>rgr, Get ready for a "wait". The last time we went there we waited to be seated for about 2 hours.

I don't know if we'll make the race but we're going to try and make Pahrump, Williams and the vicinity. I certainly will be sharpening my pencil and dusting off my camera so I can write more about the ol' West.

Have a nice trip east we're on our way. We'll be in the Norwich, CT area for about a week and then it's off to Springfield, MA for an FMCA Rally and then it's off to Casa Grande.

PS: Is there really a Casa Grande (big house) or has that be lost in antiquity.

I'm hopin' that Cybervet will read this post an offer up some suggestion for campgrounds in that area. We're going to do this ad-lib but we'll have fun for sure.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:23 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Mike, I haven't a clue about parks in that area. Sorry

Ask me about Zion or Bryce Canyon I can help.
I really enjoy reading your journal. Almost like being there. And the pictures really enhance the vision.
Chet
Old 06-05-2005, 02:58 AM   #61

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike, Yes, I'll be willing to wait for the Chowda, and all else they serve. This is our 6th year in the area, Daughter was in Grad. School in New Haven. Finished last year, and is now at Rutgers. We will take one last trip thru the NH area this year, visiting friends and places one last time.... Casa Grande, yes, there is a " Big House", actually located a few miles East near Coolidge Az.. Was left unprotected for centuries, but has some overhead cover now, and so it remains a visitable site. Country around it is pretty bare and bleak, but worth a visit..Ill keep track of your location, if you make the Phx. race, maybe we will cross paths there... Be safe, rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 05:14 PM   #62
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Finally! We're back in the Eastern Time Zone! The last time we saw Eastern was last April. The other time zones were OK but we like Eastern the best.

We're camping at the Wildcat Woods RV Campground in Greenville, OH this evening in Darke County. We just came back from taking a reconnaissance ride up to Union City, IN. The town just pops up at you out the miles and miles of farms.

We happened to stop at the grocery store up there and I got an 8 piece bag of fried chicken. Bad move, the chicken was all dried out and tasteless.

We came out of Portage, IN this morning down on the I56 to Indianapolis. That ride went pretty well aside from the headwind. My mpgs appeared to be down somewhat on the south bound leg but when we crossed over on the I70 via the by-pass around Indy the mpgs got better after we started making our way East. Indy is a big city with lots of manufacturing around the I465 loop and we saw some of the plants that make some of the things that we use but would never think of looking for like "Avery" for example.

The roads that we went on were fine and there was only a minimal amount of construction. We continued on I70 out to highway 227 and North up to Union City. The 227 reminded us of a juvenile roller coaster but it was straight as an arrow and somewhat narrow in spots with "zero" shoulder. The speed limit was 50 and since there was hardly anyone on the road it seemed OK. I tell ya coming over some of those small sharp hills at 50 almost felt like we were catching a little air. The suspension of this motorhome handled these little hills like a champ. I happened to catch a glimpse of a sign with an arrow stating "Highest Elevation in Indiana!" I looked toward the direction of the arrow however it didn't seem all that remarkable. This place is mostly small rolling plains and lots of level farm lands.

Last night before we left Portage I checked my tires and for the life of me I haven't a clue as to how they got 100 psi of air in 3 of the rear tires and only the 90 psi that I put in there just about 10 or so days ago in one of the inside doolies. My front tires were also inflated up to over a hundred pounds of air as well. OH well listen to me, I should have checked these things long before I found out that things weren't right but it would seem that every time I go in for service, people have varying ideas about how much air to put in my tires. Now at least if the 4 rear tires were the same it wouldn't have been too disconcerting but 3 at a 100 and 1 at 90 means someone dropped the ball.

From now on when the motorhome goes to service I'm just going to have to check my own tires, in case someone does me a favor. I reset my pressures to 95 front and 90 rear.

About the Yogi Bear Jellystone CG we stayed in in Portage, it wasn't that bad -- we got used to it and it was only for a week. We went to the camp store to see what they had and the lady there said that business was down and that she normally closed the store at 8:00 but it was then 5:30 and she was going to close as soon as we left.

It would seem that this is somewhat of a trend, folks are staying home and it's not easy to figure out why although we could conjecture many reasons but who knows.

The down side of this park is that it has upward of 900 sites and only about a hundred can be used my transients. This park is predominantly a seasonal park and the people that camp there own their own sites. Now that's cool! You own your site and when it comes time to bail you can get something back for all the money you put out.

The campground is formed like a large triangle just about. One long side is bordered by an elevated railroad bed and the other long side is bordered by I94. The short side or base if you will of the triangle is bordered by a sewage treatment plant. So if the odor isn't wafting in your direction and the train isn't shaking the glasses off the shelf and if you're not loosing sleep due to "jake brakes" on the Interstate this place is a perfect camping Mecca!

Wildcat in comparison is very small, I can hear birds singing in the trees, bullfrogs in the pond, Roxy is asleep already, everything is nice and peaceful.

Tomorrow it's back to UC to visit the Workhorse Plant. I hope to have a great yarn to spin when I get home tomorrow night and I understand I can take pictures so I'll try to get a few nice ones. When we went up there a little while ago we saw quite a few chassis sitting out in a field awaiting shipment. No mistaking they were new Workhorses, the frames were freshly painted, the exhaust pipes were polished and the Bilstein shocks really stick out against the black. I even saw a 242 inch wheelbase chassis I thought look at the length on that thing! Although my rail is longer you just don't get to see a 248" rail just sitting there. One thing I did notice FWIW is that I saw rails with Alcoa wheels so yes they come from Workhorse and not aftermarket from the OEM.

We'll see you tomorrow when I get back from the plant. So if you have the time drop on by and sit a spell.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:15 PM   #63

Mike: Check out Voyager in Tucson. 3 days for the price of two from April to November. All the amenities you will need for a couple of days. Also, go to the Pima Air Museum.

In Pahrump, make reservations for Terrible's Lakeside. You wont be disappointed. Ask for a lakeside site. They honor Passport America.

Las Vegas, if you get there, go to Sam's town on Boulder Highway. $20.00 a day and free bus trips to anywhere on the strip.
Jim Gehlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:13 PM   #64
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Gehlen:
In Pahrump, make reservations for Terrible's Lakeside. You wont be disappointed. Ask for a lakeside site. They honor Passport America. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Done!

When we leave there we're going up the I-15 to the Winnebago Utah State Rally in Springville, UT from Aug 18-21.

Look out Chet! There goes the neighborhood.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:08 AM   #65

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We'll see you tomorrow when I get back from the plant. So if you have the time drop on by and sit a spell. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, Mike, some of us are anixously awaiting another of your highly informative posts: Personally, I've been "sittin", but I srill can't spell
Seriously, hope you had a great trip up to WCC, and we look forward to your report. I hope it shows up in the WCMC section also ED
Old 06-07-2005, 02:47 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Mike, we live three miles off Exit 62 on I-15. Give me a PM and maybe we can meet.
p.s. I have a full RV pad next to the house. It has 50 amp hookup, water and sewer dump.
Chet
Old 06-07-2005, 05:12 PM   #67
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CyberVet65:
It has 50 amp hookup, water and sewer dump.
Chet </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yea, yea! BUT do you have a doggie Walk ???
Old 06-08-2005, 06:52 PM   #68
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I just made a slight diversion and posted a factory tour I just completed in Union City, IN. If you would like to read all about it please click on the title link.

Union City - Workhorse Factory Tour

I'll be back with more travel logs real soon.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:18 PM   #69
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Well here we are at the Gettysburg Battlefield RV Resort. Well it's more of a campground than a resort but they're working on it.

Boy oh boy did we have a "little" bit of adventure on our way here! We have a ShurFlo Extreme Series Smart Sensor 5.7 water pump and it's rated for 5.5 gallons per minute. I had about 20 to 25 gallons of fresh water in my tank when the clip that holds in the discharge nipple broke.

The old style C clip is basically shaped square when looking at it on end. Well the clip cracked and what happened next was pretty funny. We pulled into a rest stop while traveling in Ohio East on the I70 when what do I notice but water coming out of my water heater/pump compartment door!

No worries I told myself so I opened the door to check what was up and lo and behold I brought Niagara Falls with me on this trip. Apparently the clip broke just as we were entering the rest stop because I didn't see much of a water trail. Anyway that pump is so powerful it emptied my tank in a heartbeat or about 4 to 5 minutes and we didn't even notice it.

Running back inside the coach I turned the pump off. "Good Move!"

Well at this point I emptied the compartment of its contents none of which mind getting wet but there remained about 2 inches of water in the bottom until I started bailing it out. I pulled on the hose from the pump and it came off the side of the pump.

Well at least I found the problem. Remedy time! I got on the phone and called ShurFlo in Elkhart, IN and they are sending me "Two" parts bags with new nipples and the new improved "will never break again" rounded C clips to Lancaster. The tech there was very nice and accommodating and he even gave me the phone numbers of of 2 major distributors.

I called one of the distributors located on the east coast and they gave me the phone numbers and locations for dealers where I would have been that evening and the next day BUT that wasn't soon enough. You see ShurFlo said that there may be an issue with the domestic system not holding pressure if the clamp was not in place so I'm figuring no water isn't a good thing. Well at least I had some resources to try if all else failed.

My strategy therefore was to watch for a sign! You know sometimes "He" knows what's going on and "He" provides what we need. And there it was in plain sight, "a sign" for .... "Stewart's RV Center, in St. Clairsville, OH". We got off at the 216 exit on I70 and headed North. The dealership is located right at the end of the street on National Road East.

We turned right and went up the road and turned around and wound up on the right side of the street in front of the dealership and parked. I got out of the coach equipped with wallet in hand and made my way into the store. I met a very nice man there, I believe his name was Rich Hollingshead and I showed him what happened and he said that they didn't have a parts kit for the pump but he went in the back of the store and got the only pump he had in stock. He opened the box, ripped open the bag, and gave "one" of 2 C clips in the parts kit.

I offered to pay for someone to go and put the clip on but he said they were too busy and that I could have the clip for FREE! He took my name and address so he could reference the case as I told him that I called Elkhart and spoke with a tech there named Mike. After a tad of paperwork I took the new clip and I went outside and slipped it on with the word "fitting" facing me, and the clip locked right into place. Now here's a business that took a perfectly sell able product off of their shelf, last one BTW, and gave me the part I needed without much of a fuss at all. I thank them very much for their kindness and courtesy in helping me get back on the road.

I turned the power on to the pump and there were no leaks BUT that's a real good trick when you don't have any water!

Later that evening after we arrived at the Washington KOA in Western PA, I got around to hooking up my WetVac and drew all the water out of the bottom of the compartment and I placed a small fan in there for a couple of hours and the compartment was dry as a bone in no time flat.

We left Washington, PA at about 9:30am late for us but we figured we'd only be on the road for a little while. We traveled on the I70 through 3 tunnels all of which were going down hill. These tunnels were about a mile each in length and the lighting except for one was horrendous. I went from sunlight to hardly any light and man did it get dark there for a while. I kept the wheel straight as my eyes dilated and became accustomed to the dark..

Finally we get out to I81 North to route 11 and made our way down here on route 15 with a slight detour on route 94. Running 94 was like a Cony Island roller coaster but the ol' Workhorse did alright. One thing that I should have done but I didn't is that I got started on a steep grade in D and I just couldn't make any speed because for whatever reason the tranny wouldn't downshift. If I were doing this again I certainly would have manually down shifted to 3rd or 2nd gear myself to get moving then continue to up-shift. It all worked out after about a quarter mile of climbing, I was crawling doing about 25 going up the grade. Once I got moving the tranny up and down shifted without any problems. That was the only hiccup all day long. I blame myself for this boo boo because I had originally got on the gas and then for whatever reason I backed off ever so slightly but it was enough that the computer was stuck in betweena happy and a slow place. Next time get on gas and stay there.

We got off on the Emmitsburg Road south of Gettysburg and headed North on Route 15. 3 miles up the road and we're here! The first site that I thought would work was only giving me 107 volts at the pedestal and 106 volts at the surge protector. When the AC kicked in the contactor in the Surge Guard tripped from a "low voltage" condition and wouldn't allow me to use the 30A plug on that site.

By this time we were all level with pads on the ground and and slides out.

Sooo I marched up to the store, actually I drove, and the owner put us on a yet to be finished 50Amp site for the weekend. I'm sharing a water source with 4 other rigs but no big deal. I got 50 Amps, my Verizon card is happy, and I filled my tank and am using our ShurFlo 5.7. Now if doesn't rain over the weekend I might not wind up swimming in a mud-hole.

Last thing I did today was give Roxy a bath. She was in fact digging in the dirt outside the motorhome looking for prey. Boy oh boy what a party poop! No sooner do I dry her off and let her go, she runs back and forth a half dozen times from stem to stern, rolls over on the rug numerous times, shakes and shakes and finally dry to her satisfaction is now cozily sleeping in her bed.

Well we'll see what tomorrow brings, I believe we want to go and visit some haunted buildings in downtown Gettysburg. I'll let you all know how well we did with that tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:11 AM   #70

Driver, you have got to go visit Eisenhour's farm. It is impressive. Colleen will love it and so will you. See you next Thursday at the Rally

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote