Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2005, 07:45 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:
I hope your window got done today as you are just not the garbage bag type! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The Safelite glass man came today and the job was done even before I knew it. Now all I have to do is get up enough energy to vacuum all the glass out of my car with my new RV950 Red Devil Central Vacuum System I obtained from RVUpgrades. Using the 30 foot long hose I should be able to get it done in a jiffy. (one of the days)

I had to buy about $50.00 more stuff to finish the install but it was worth it. I'll post a review on it shortly.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2005, 07:56 PM   #86
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, Welcome to AZ . Thats a Arizona rain storm. You didn't call. If your still around , Let me know and i can try and head down your way for a handshake and a ice cream at Dairy Queen, or dinner at Cracker Barrel. 602-694-xxxx
Old 08-03-2005, 08:01 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kablewizard:
If your still around , Let me know and i can try and head down your way for a handshake and a ice cream at Dairy Queen, or dinner at Cracker Barrel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim, Sounds GREAT! We'll be here tomorrow and Friday departing Saturday for Needles. Let's touch base. You know my number, it's in the directory I sent you. Regardless I'll call you tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:18 PM   #88

Well, Driver, you have now officially experienced one of the reasons Casa Grande is called a Dust Bowl. The summer storms have nothing to stop them when they hit Casa Grande. The storm hit the Phoenix area also, and they had 3" of rain. Monsoon storms come up very quickly, and can be quite fierce. There is usually a lot of flooding between Casa Grande and the Phoenix area, as the desert is low and flat in that area. You may have noticed that the road is raised in many areas.

Jim was flying back to Phoenix from Portland on the 2nd and the storm was so bad that his plane was diverted to Ontario, CA where it sat on the ground for a while before getting him home around midnight -- 6 hours late.

We have been spending our summer in the cool climate along the Pacific coast. Six weeks on the Monterey Penninsula, three weeks golfing our way up the coast, and now, we are spending the month of August at Pacific Shores Motorcoach Resort in Newport, Oregon. It is gorgeous here!

Jim is home in the heat for a week, but will be back to this wonderful cool weather next week.

You should come back to the state during the winter months... and visit both the Tucson and Phoenix areas... lots to see and do in wonderful winter weather.

Have a safe journey north....

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 02:00 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sunflyer Judy:
.... Have a safe journey north.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>AAAHHHMMM! About that journey "North" it's 113? in Needles, CA right now as measured on my dash compass, and it's 106? on my Weather Bug!
Old 08-06-2005, 04:49 PM   #90

But it is a dry heat!
Chet
Old 08-09-2005, 08:21 AM   #91

Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'll post a review on it shortly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well Mike, where ya at?? ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:37 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Our journey resumed after our most recent rally in Casa Grande, AZ. We had a great time there and we met a lot of nice people. One thing that I won't forget about Palm Creek was its exhaustive use of gravel. Golly are these folks afraid of committing to grass on campsites or what? I can however see that it would be very difficult for them to keep such a large resort green in the middle of the desert when they might be challenged to keep the golf course green. The course and campground is very nicely trimmed with different types of palms and an extensive lineup of cactus. The facilities are also quite well appointed and first rate.

The staff there was very helpful and I could not have wanted any better people to talk to. We will remember Palm Creek Golf & RV Resort for its nice level sites and brand new infrastructure. We had 00000 on our electric meter when we plugged in.

Departing the Casa Grande area we took to the highway after filling up with a tank full of Arizona's best 87 octane gas at the local ARCO station adjacent to Exit 194 on E. Florence Boulevard. What's remarkable about this is the cost of gas at the time was 2.299 which was the cheapest price that I had seen in weeks however the station only accepted cash. Oh well there go my AMEX points. Drat!

Once back on the I-10 northbound to Phoenix we passed several prominent hills that appeared to have originated from a volcanic event. The sides of the hills looked like they were composed of mostly loose rock and they were covered with hundreds of mature cactus plants. As bleak as some might perceive the desert, Arizona is a beautiful place.

We remained on route 10 all the way through Phoenix, past the International Airport and the downtown area of the city. Once you get on the West side of Goodyear it starts becoming desert again pretty quickly. Approximately 100 miles later, we crossed the Colorado River and on into California. Once on the other side of the river in East Blythe, CA we took one of the most scenic roads we had been on up to that point, US Route 95.

Route 95 cuts through some of the most open ranged area we had experienced there were no fences like those that paralleled the Interstate. Initially the road is banked by the Colorado River and we followed it and its wetlands for some 15 miles or so before the road tuned to the North West to Vidal Junction past Riverside Mountain and onward through San Bernardino County. What concerned us in the event of a thunderstorm were the areas where flood waters ran over the road in some places a few feet deep. The road rolled like the small hills on a roller coaster a half dozen times or more in a row. Both the local geology and vegetation were complimentary and wondrous to look at.

Running north of Vidal Junction you pass Chemeheuvi Peak and then transition through Lobeck's Pass which didn't give our Workhorse too much of a workout as we were able to maintain a reasonable speed. The challenges of this trip were the desert heat but we ran very well without any problems. Our dash air was typically 20 degrees colder that the outside air which exceeded triple digits and we felt the air conditioning was adequate to the task without having an auxiliary cooling kit.

Route 95 intersects with the I-40 just south of Needles, CA and we ran the 40 for a few exits before we exited with the promise of finding a Wendy's at a Flying J. We all filled up and Roxie was pleased to get out and stretch her legs for a little while. We arrived just about mid-day when the heat was really starting to crank it up. We had already decided before we left that Needles KOA would be our final destination for the day and so after getting back on the road we only went a couple more exits before exiting and pulling into the Needles KOA.

Boy it was really hot outside. I believe that in Casa Grande one of the guys there told me anything fewer than 110 degrees is a good day well this was a bad day. 113 degrees were indicated while moving at speed on the Interstate and checking the compass after stopping in the KOA the temperature was something on the order of 117.

The KOA was closed when we arrived. We found out that they were closed from 11 to 3pm in the afternoon. There was a sign that said go and find a site and come back later. That was a good idea I thought so I drove off into the campground and just happened to see a site that was shaded by an adjacent row of tall trees. This I figured would get us out of the heat and help out coach AC cool the coach since we were out of direct sun light.

I did want to note that parked directly in front of us were 4 - RV4Rent class C units. One guy simply pulled into his site with his left side in the shrubs and tree branches and he left it. I guess he must have used a machete to get at his hookups. These folks I came to find out were Europeans. It appears this is a very popular thing for those folks to do in the US.

Our AC performed very well in this heat but it was slow in pulling the temps down. The other issue we had is that the water coming out of the tap was practically hot. It would seem that the water mains in the campground run close to the surface. After I setup the campsite we went for a swim but no relief there either, the water was almost tepid. We only stayed for about a half an hour and returning back to the motorhome with dusk settling in. Taking a shower here was appreciated however it sure wasn't refreshing.

One thing that they did have that was really nice was the garden in front of the pool. The cactus was resplendent in red flower pods. Gently rustling in the warm breeze were deep green palms having small arrangements of braches at the top of the plants and in contrast there was the steadfastness of a magnificent pipe organ cactus that must have been 15 feet or more tall.

By this time Roxie wanted to go outside and was getting her bark on and so we had to go outside. A couple of items that I was paranoid about were rattlers and scorpions each not having the pleasure to meet and I'll pass on any future opportunities as well. I took a flashlight and lit up the ground off of our steps before setting foot on the ground. When I went outside to walk the dog the ground was still hot and the air was stifling. Roxie was quick to get her chores done and we didn't waste much time before we both got back in the AC. The coach's AC continued to cool the cabin off and by the time we were ready for bed the temperatures were just right to enjoy a good evening's rest.

One thing that I want to leave you with in this install is "Get off of the Interstate!" Use some of those state highways and go and see more of the country. You may only pass this way once, so see it now. The Interstate will always be there.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:54 PM   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:
Well Mike, where ya at?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Right now I'm writing this from the right front seat in the Oasis Las Vegas RV Park. This is a "true" camping resort one of the most complete that I have seen while traveling.

We earlier went to Stardust (I think) and we bought tickets for George Carlin this Saturday night at 7:00pm. Colleen won $100 in the slots on the way out! Having a great time so far.

Right outside the campground is South Las Vegas Boulevard, the main drag that goes up the strip. It's not at all difficult to see the light from Luxor's pyramid from here. Tomorrow it's off to the Red Rocks Conservation Area.

Have camera will travel.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:05 AM   #94

Mike: we appreciate your latest installment of ON THE ROAD, and look forward to the next one with pictures! Several guys in the WCMC chatroom last night were asking where you were, so you are being missed as you roam around in the HEAT! WOW, and I thought it was hot here, where it only gets to 92-96 F. with 85-90% humidity

One of the great things about iRV2 is the ability to meet and "talk" with people who share common interest. In the chatroom I met and talked with another member, from North Carolina, who comes down here on business several times a year. We're gonna get together on his next trip and "chill out" Travel Safely, ED
Old 08-12-2005, 06:06 AM   #95

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Tomorrow it's off to the Red Rocks Conservation Area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
May I suggest you not miss the opportunity to visit the Hoover Dam while you are out and about!
Old 08-12-2005, 07:30 AM   #96

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Right now I'm writing this from the right front seat in the Oasis Las Vegas RV Park. This is a "true" camping resort one of the most complete that I have seen while traveling.

We earlier went to Stardust (I think) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No wounder you were not at the "Workhorse Chat" last night, you did not even have time to "Think"

Bruce
Old 09-13-2005, 04:57 AM   #97

Did you stop in SD and see the sod house? It's really great to see.

Kat
Kat-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:49 AM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kat-1:
Did you stop in SD and see the sod house? It's really great to see. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Kat, We missed that and so many other things as well. We could go back there and see stuff we missed the first time and not even revisit what we've already seen. There is so much to see and do in SD. We wanted to see the petrified forest but we missed that as well.

Right now we're sitting in the Fayetteville/Wade KOA, Godwin, NC in Cumberland County at Exit 61 off of the I-95. Hurricane Ophelia is churning overhead however the county that we're in has no weather advisories as of this time.

It's been raining lightly off and on this morning beginning at about 5:30 and it's forcasted to rain upward on 2 inches today in no greater than a 40 mile per hour wind.

Ophelia appears to be heading North East off of the coast and is not expected to make landfall anywhere near here. We we're in Myrtle Beach but we pulled up stakes and moved out. The weather is much worse down there and we're doing well here. Tomorrow morning we're going back to the beach and we should be all setup before noon.

Thanks for taking the time to share your traveling experience and take care.