Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #1

Ooooh, my back hurts: RV BEDS

Any recommendations? We have the spring mattress that came with the coach.
Looking to replace for memory foam or something firm.
For firm sleepers, what kind of bed are you happy with?
How much did it cost?
Thanks and Cheers!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We replaced ours with a Memory Foam from Costco about 2 years ago. Very happy with our choice.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I got a Dove air mattress from http://www.advancedsleepproducts.com/ It costs about half as much as a Sleep Comfort bed.

It is far and away the most comfortable sleeping surface I have ever had. Even my wife agrees with this statement (imagine!) It lasted for 9 years, then one side of the dual side air mattress failed. The company replaced it for half price. I am a very happy customer and highly recommend it.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The mattress that came with our Mobile Suites is by far the best mattress I've slept on, and I like firm mattresses. In fact, it's better than the name brand mattresses we have in the sticks and bricks. I believe much of my satisfaction is due to a proper metal and spring foundation (in lieu of a sheet of plywood) that the mattress rests on. One of these days I'll check out the brand as I may look for similar mattresses for the S&B when replacement time comes around.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We just replaced ours in early December. After doing a lot of searching and shopping we actually wound up at CW and purchased the Avena Foam Mattress - King - Carpenter Co 31374537540 - Bed Pads & Mattresses - Camping World on sale. DW has back problems and seems very comfortable and so am I. The price was right and we have no complaints. Speaking of price, every few months it goes on sale for less than the current "on sale" price.

BTW, we full-time so this is our bed every night and we sleep cool and comfy.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
IMO get the sleep number "premier" style. We have them for the coach and s/b. I have severe back problems as well as my DW. She's a 45 I am a 35. The platform makes a big difference as to comfort and therapeutic properties. We had to put plywood over the box springs to simulate the sound platform in our coach. Purchased through CW found them on sale, free shipping, easy to construct in the coach, it comes in boxes, just remember to purchase the premier model or higher. Sweet dreams!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #7

High Quality Memory Foam Mattress & Toppers I bought one for our RV and loved it so much that I ordered another one for our home bed. Love this company and their product.

Deb Nyberg
Moving Right Along
Old 02-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I got a Dove air mattress from Soft Side Water Beds | Adjustable Air Beds | Memory Foam Mattress Pads | Bed Frames | Bedding Accessories | Heaters | Replacement Parts It costs about half as much as a Sleep Comfort bed.

It is far and away the most comfortable sleeping surface I have ever had. Even my wife agrees with this statement (imagine!) It lasted for 9 years, then one side of the dual side air mattress failed. The company replaced it for half price. I am a very happy customer and highly recommend it.
That's the trouble we have experienced with those air beds we've slept on, the air leaked and we had to keep pumping them up. Also find we can't get them quite firm enough. Thanks for your recommendation Good to know the company is good for replacing them when they fail
Old 02-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
We just replaced ours in early December. After doing a lot of searching and shopping we actually wound up at CW and purchased the Avena Foam Mattress - King - Carpenter Co 31374537540 - Bed Pads & Mattresses - Camping World on sale. DW has back problems and seems very comfortable and so am I. The price was right and we have no complaints. Speaking of price, every few months it goes on sale for less than the current "on sale" price.

BTW, we full-time so this is our bed every night and we sleep cool and comfy.
Thank you. A couple of questions:
1) do you find the mattress 'sweats' at all with temperature changes?
2) how did you get it into the motorhome?

much appreciated we'll watch for sales on those.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by debnyberg View Post
High Quality Memory Foam Mattress & Toppers I bought one for our RV and loved it so much that I ordered another one for our home bed. Love this company and their product.

Deb Nyberg
Moving Right Along
Thank you. Question: What do you have underneath the memory foam topper?
We do have a memory foam mattress in our S/B home, and love it.
Just a little concerned about condensation...any problems with that?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Memory Foam is what we changed to, we have one in the S&B too. The memory foam mattress was easy enough to get in since it is very flexible. We just gave the old rv mattress away. Just about anything is an upgrade over the rv mattress. Good luck.
mllk3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCCRVr View Post
Thank you. A couple of questions:
1) do you find the mattress 'sweats' at all with temperature changes?
2) how did you get it into the motorhome?

much appreciated we'll watch for sales on those.
We have only had it since the beginning of December and we like a cool room to sleep in. That being said when we go out, now that the temps are getting into the 70s every day, and forget to open windows or vents we haven't noticed any issues with sweating.

When you pick it up at CW it will be in a box that is around 48" x 18-20" square. Inside the box the mattress is encased in a plastic bag and folded over lengthwise and rolled up with all of the air sucked out of the bag. The box fit into the back of my Jeep fine with the back seat folded down. I had enlisted the help of a friend to do the change over but as it turned out I was able to handle it myself. The old mattress was much lighter than I expected. The trick to getting it out the door is to pull it out, not push it. I removed the new mattress from the box before bringing it inside. Once I got it onto the bed platform then I cut away the plastic wrapper. The manufacturer suggests waiting 24 hours before sleeping on it to allow it to "air up". I had it unwrapped and on the bed by 8 AM and we went to bed around midnight that night and it was fine. If anything it just got a bit firmer over the next couple of days.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #13

I guess I'm lucky. I sleep quite well in my old TT that only has a 5 inch foam matters on a piece of plywood. In fact I sleep better in there then what I do in my house on that stupid springy,squeaky, bed I have. I've been really tempted to pull the springs out from under my house mattress and just put a piece of plywood in their place.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The mattress in our coach is a regular size queen. So we just went to a mattress shop and spent a while flopping on mattresses until we found the one we liked. Then we made a deal negotiating away from the list price until we were happy. They delivered, set it up and took the old five incher away.

We were only limited to thickness but at nine and a half inches it was plenty room to get a good mattress. Only problem is the storage underneath is now harder to get to because the new mattress is less flexible and heavier. But I can git er done, wife stows and retrieves while I lift.

njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote