Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Our Canadian Friends

With all the debate re health care, what's the real deal in Canada. The ads try to scare us with reports of delays which cost lives. What do our Canadian brethren have to say?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #2

As with any system there is always to improve. In total we as a nation pay less than Americans for health insurance. However, Canadians with money do not receive the same level of service as Americans with money. On the other hand Canadians who have little money receive considerably better health care than Americans with little money. The final arbitrator is that the life expectancy in Canada is no worse than in the US.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:21 PM   #3

Canadian Health Care

Our health care is excellent
You will hear many stories but in my life time of 62 years i personally know of no horror stories.
Services are based on priority as determined by your doctor not an HMO
I know of cases where there was a big delay for surgery but it was not deemed to be urgent(of course all surgery is urgent if your the one receiving it)
In all cases where the surgery was needed now I know of none where it was delayed.
I am very happy with our system however no system is perfect.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horknee View Post
Our health care is excellent
You will hear many stories but in my life time of 62 years i personally know of no horror stories.
Services are based on priority as determined by your doctor not an HMO
I know of cases where there was a big delay for surgery but it was not deemed to be urgent(of course all surgery is urgent if your the one receiving it)
In all cases where the surgery was needed now I know of none where it was delayed.
I am very happy with our system however no system is perfect.
We went to Alaska in 2007. While in Alberta we heard of a woman from, IIRC, Edmonton, who was pregnant with quads. The Alta. health system was unable to accommodate her needs and she was made to go to Great Falls, MT for the births.

There was a story recently about a woman with a tumor which needed attention. She couldn't get the necessary diagnosis in Canada so she came to Mayo in Phoenix. They diagnosed it as quite likely to be terminal unless treated. She went back to Canada expecting to get the needed surgery but was told she would have to wait. The wait time was longer than her life prognosis.

She came back to Mayo for treatment and was taken immediately. She survives today.

These are NOT 2 isolated instances.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
Old 07-08-2009, 11:15 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
As with any system there is always to improve. In total we as a nation pay less than Americans for health insurance. However, Canadians with money do not receive the same level of service as Americans with money. On the other hand Canadians who have little money receive considerably better health care than Americans with little money. The final arbitrator is that the life expectancy in Canada is no worse than in the US.
I disagree completely. This is based on conversations with both Candian and US doctors. See my other post on this subject.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have heard, "stories" of the people dying in the streets in Canada due to rationed health care. Many if not most are just that, stories. I am sure there are some problems with the system, same as ours. You read in our papers everyday of someone somewhere who was denied treatment by a HMO.

Most Canadians are happy with their Health Care System. You see they all have it, not so in this country. No, people are not dying everywhere on our streets here either. Those that need health care, do get it, even it drives them into the poor house. My understanding is that there are approximately 90,000 people that file bankruptcy each year due to medical expenses.

My wife and I are retiring this year she is 62 and I am 59. Our cost of insurance without deductibles and co-pays until we each reach 65 and qualify for Medicare will be approximately $120,000.00. We can afford it, many can't. Something has to be done. As most things that encompass all, many will be unhappy with the results!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My question is, "Do the politicians in Canada have the same same health care and retirement as the ordinary citizen, or are they like here in the US where they are on a different (and much better) retirement and health care benefit system than is provided for us commoners."
Old 07-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #8

Here in Michigan. I suffered for several years with bad knees, the ins. co. wouldn't
pay for the surgery until I attained the age of 60 (joint replacement)
When I was old enough and told the surgeon to schedule it there was a six week wait.
So I don't get too concerned at hearing of delays elswhere.
Milt
Old 07-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We lived in Canada for 2 years with "landed Immigrant" status and had access to the provincial insurance. It was less expensive than what we had in the US and the coverage was fine. We hear of stories told by a friend of a friend but no firm back up on the stories.

The horror stories are generated by the medical professionals, hospitals, insurance companies and drug companies in the US. They do not want the government limiting their source of income.

I have a Canadian coworker here that is working here with a work vista and he is headed back to Canada at the end of the month. We have discussed the Canadian health care system and he says it is fine. His wife was scheduled for a knee replacement which he will reschedule for their return home.

We need a good basic health coverage that will cover everyone.

Ken
Old 07-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't know everyone in Canada but I know of no one in my family or friends who has not recieved prompt service from the Dr.or hospital.
when someone in my family gets sick we go to the Dr. he sees us if he thinks we should be in the hospital we go if he thinks something should be cut out out it comes . costs in BC I pay less than $100 per month for the family , that covers seeing the Dr.when ever I want and going to the hospital and staying sa long as needed. It doesn't cover prescriptions unless they are given while in the hospital .
Old 07-08-2009, 08:38 PM   #11
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up CDN Healthcare

we pay about can$ 96.00 (about 82.00 US $) a month for the DW and myself. In AB right now you pay ZERO $. I could not complain about the system, but I still own my house and RV after a health scare a few years ago.... Once you are used to the system ..... why do you want to change???? If I need to see a Doc, I phone for an appointment the same day. For emergencies I would phone for the Ambulance. Maybe the cdn system is not perfect, but it works pretty good for most of the people.
RVgreetings
TW
Old 07-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
My question is, "Do the politicians in Canada have the same same health care and retirement as the ordinary citizen, or are they like here in the US where they are on a different (and much better) retirement and health care benefit system than is provided for us commoners."
Everyone here has he same health coverage for basic services. Certain procedures can be either insured or bought from private providers.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Based on MY observations and experiences, it seems our Canadian friends suffer similar government problems. Their government has them convinced their health care is better than it actually is and our government has us convinced our health care is worse than it actually is.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Yes and their governemnt convinces those that can not afford it that they are better off getting it for free than not having it at all and our government has been good at convincing those that can not afford it to accept their lot in life!

Closed Thread