Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2010, 07:59 AM   #15

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Richard I can hear you telling the doctors "Awe you guys don't know what your talking about, I am in perfect health!"

iRV2 has been an amazing vehicle to meet so many amazing spirits, Richard and Sylvia you guys being two of the greatest. Michelle and I will both be channeling all of our healing energy to your perfect recovery Richard.

I remember reading your post's early on in IRV2's life and knew we needed this guy's amazing leadership talent for the site. I consider you one of the great mentors in my life and always appreciated the unwavering confidence you had in the vision of this sites mission.

I remember pulling into the Nashville Rally with Richard being the wagonmaster (and what an amazing rally that was) in my first Truck Conversion. Leading up to this time I had been posting how great the new macerator sewer pump systems where and that everyone needed to get one.

It had to be a 100 degrees out when we arrived at the rally and as I was setting up with a crowd forming all curious about the motorhome as well as the sewer pump, I figured I would give a demonstration of the ease and simplicity of this new system. Richard was one of the curious on lookers and as I flipped on the power switch and the pump ran, everyone was initially very impressed. But when the pump came to an abrupt halt jamming on something that it could not handle the the oohs' and awe's turned to oh no's. Of course it was the black tank the system jammed on and having to remove the pump to clear the jam was going to cause a major mess. Everyone left once they saw a bucket coming out, but Richard hung in there for a while giving words of encouragement saying "You just need to work the bugs out" and "these things happen with new products" and finally "I think I will stick with my old fashion 3" hose" Richard you are always willing to give a helping hand, although this time when it started to get messy, I remember you telling me that you would give me some space.

We send our guardian angels to look over you.
Love, Bill & Michelle
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Wow! Sad news but Sandy and I certainly wish him well and have him in our thoughts and prayers.

I just spoke to Richard last month about service at Tom Johnson's in Marion, NC, near his home. We stopped at Tom Johnson's and I thought about driving up into the mountains to see Richard but we were on a schedule to get to Florida by the 17th. Now I wish I had.

Again, take care Richard and you and Sylvia are in our prayers.

-Tom & Sandy

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #17

I'm a relative newbie on this board and have been impressed with the friendliness and respectfulness this board shows through its members. That has to be the due to the leadership of the administrators.

Prayers go out to Richard and Sylvia - cancer is a beast that has stolen too many of my family too soon. I hope that you are able to beat the effects and pain so that you can enjoy your family and interests as long as possible.
sandersmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:16 AM   #18

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Our prayers are with you Richard and Sylvia. I am new here and have not had the privilege of meeting you however this forum is the best and thank you for all your guidance in making irv2 what it is.

Peace be with you and your family this season.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #19
JDG

Winnebago Owners Club
As a Stage 4 Head and Neck Cancer survivor. All I can say is keep a positive mind set, and a strong family support system. Radiation and Chemo took a told on me but is well worth it. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Richard invited us to our first rally,and 10 min after we arived we felt like we had been members for years.I think he has that effect on all that meet him.We will have him in our prayers.
Bill & Juanita
Freebird23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Richard,

I pray you and Sylvia both experience the peace and comfort of God as you go thru this treatment.

Thank you for being one of the key people in seeing what iRV2 could become. Your continued vision casting of iRV2 is evident by the more than 54,000 people that have become members. Thank you for keeping our campfires burning brightly!
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe it was at the National Rally at Sevierville in 2006 that I first met Richard. He took the time to sit down with a cup of coffee and visit with me awhile. In 2007 at Branson and again in 2009 at Dundee I hosted the Coffee Hour and Richard was always the first to arrive and always found time to visit with me. In fact he helped me with some issues I was having navigating the iRV2 Website.

Richard, Bev and I are saddened to hear about your health problems and will keep you and Sylvia in our prayers. Reading other posts, I read how you are living your life each day and it should be an example for all of us. I believe every day is a gift from God and we should enjoy it and make it as good as we can.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #23
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Thank you to all the old friends, new acquaintances, and veteran iRV2 members for your kind words and for your prayers.

I thought we had beat this problem back in March of this year after a tumor was excised by my orthopedic surgeon in December '09. He excised what was thought to be a cyst on my thigh but soon diagnosed as a rare sarcoma called Leiomyosarcoma by the radiologist who tested the fibrous mass sent for testing. It was at that time I was referred to an oncologist locally who immediately hooked me up with the folks at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC). The doctor in VUMC immediately scheduled 25 radiation treatments and then followed up with surgery to clean up the margins to clear me of the cancer.

After a few more 'touch-up' radiation treatments to clean up the malignant area in my thigh, I went on 90 day follow-up regime commencing in April because I was cancer free. The follow-up in July was fine, CT scans showed no cancer cells remained. But the 90 day follow-up in October was disappointing to say the least.

A small spot on my femur where the malignant area had been resting against had grown in size and a biopsy of it was ordered along with a full body PET Scan. These tests turned out to be an almost worst case scenario. The previous cancer had metastasized to the bones and had spread rapidly throughout my skeleton and the doctors say they can't cure it. They say they can only slow it down and give me palliative treatment. The regime is chemotherapy and a ton of meds to ease the pain.

As Andy indicated in his post, the first chemo session started today and so far it has gone well. I experienced a little nausea a couple hours ago but I was given medicine for that which, as I write this, seems to be working.

I no longer drive due to the high levels of narcotics constantly in my system needed to mitigate the pain that goes along with having this cancer. Sylvia drives me to all the appointments for treatments and follow-ups. VUMC is a day’s drive over for us (620 miles round trip) and a two day round trip and after the first dozen trips or so back and with old man winter moving in on us fast, we started shopping around for an apartment near VUMC to stay in while at Nashville’s VUMC.

Finding nothing available or affordable, ($2,250 month for a furnished 1 bedroom) my oldest son and his wife, along with the help of several close friends and neighbors from or hometown and church, moved our 5th wheel to a campground a few short miles north of Nashville last weekend.

The weather here has been very uncooperative all week with temperatures dipping into the mid teens and with 10” of snow falling to the ground shortly after we left with the trailer last week. We stayed in the American Cancer Society’s ‘Hope Lodge’ in Nashville all this week and will shift into the 5th wheel tomorrow. I’m concerned we’ll have a frozen water situation but hopefully with the warm-up it’ll thaw out some so we can get the water running.

I'm not done with iRV2 yet......... I plan to keep on plugging at this as long as I’m able and Andy permits it. I told the doctors at VUMC to plan on me hanging around a lot longer than the time they're giving me, that with the Lord’s help I’ll beat this thing and will watch all my grandkids graduate from high school and grow up to be fine members of society.

Richard
Old 12-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Richard,
It's good to hear from you. Keep taking that positive approach and put a good old fashioned Whoopin on this thing just like you've done in the past.

You've got lots of friends out here and we're all pullin for you. Nashville isn't that far away....if you and Silvia need anything let us know.
Joe
Old 12-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I'm not done with iRV2 yet......... I plan to keep on plugging at this as long as I’m able and Andy permits it. I told the doctors at VUMC to plan on me hanging around a lot longer than the time they're giving me, that with the Lord’s help I’ll beat this thing and will watch all my grandkids graduate from high school and grow up to be fine members of society.
This last paragraph is the answer Richard we are both praying for you and love one's, we all need you, see you at the next rally.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Richard,
Thanks for teaching me the ropes when I joined iRV2.com and started the "Excel Owner's Forum". You were patient and walked me through several issues -- thanks again buddy and God bless! You're in our prayers and we're all behind you in this battle.
John
Old 12-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #27

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I am saddened by this news and pray that you will be comfortable and able to enjoy those who are close to you and those of us who only know through your writings and always available help.

Ronnie
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
Richard, God Bless you and Sylvia. Please know you both are in our prayers.
Bob and Judy
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote