Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Our youngest just joined the Air Force

When I was a teenager, my father told me that I would serve my country when I graduated HS. I was not sure I wanted to do that, but Dad was a WWll Vet, Army Air Corps. He said, I served and your brother served (also Air Force), and you will serve.
That made me less wanting to enlist for some reason. It was at the near end of Vietnam and military service was not really popular but being poor and uncertain of a future it did not look like a bad thing.
Fortunately for me, I nearly aced the ASVAB and physical went well and the rest was history. A fantastic career of 28 1/2 years! I was certainly blessed.
Our youngest son, just finished 4 yrs of AFJROTC in HS, served at the Cadet Wing Command Chief and enlisted into active Air Force duty this past week. Congratulations Joshua!!!!
I know my Mom & Pop and Brother who have gone to glory are as proud of him as we are. Not to mention the In-Laws who have also passed. Father In Law was Air Force also.

Being FT'rs soon we should be able to travel and visit him perhaps if he is stateside.

Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Congratulations to him, I'd like to wish him the very best experiences.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Congratulations, and thank you and him for your services.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #4

Great start, sounds like you raised him well! My first career was in the Air Force and then I went into the Army. They both has their ups and downs, but all in all it went well.
Good luck to him!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #5

Thank you to all of the service men and their families in your family for protecting our freedom!
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #6

Thank You, your Dad, and your son, and all that serve to protect this country.

Your Dad raised you right and it appears you passed it along to your son.
Afubar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #7

Congratulations to your son! Our oldest is in the Air Force - he's also the third generation to serve :-) Enjoy your visits. Many military bases have RV campgrounds, but I don't know if one must be active duty to use them. I'm sure one of the many retired military folks on the forums will know.

Mrs.M
Old 11-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks to all of your family that served or supported those that served. I only spent 6 years USAF but it was the best 6 years and gave me the tools to be what I am today.

Salute!
Old 11-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Congratulations to your son and all in your family that have served. Thank him for his
service, and thank you also for yours.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #10

Congrats to your son. I just retired from AF in May. I was stationed at Lackland and served as a Military Training Instructor. The 23 years was very rewarding. The bases have great campgrounds. The advice I can give is to ensure his fitness level is good prior to arriving. The leadership he experienced as the cadet command chief will put him ahead. Congrats to him for this leadership position.
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #11

Congrats to you all! and good choice!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIJ6165 View Post
Congrats to your son. I just retired from AF in May. I was stationed at Lackland and served as a Military Training Instructor. The 23 years was very rewarding. The bases have great campgrounds. The advice I can give is to ensure his fitness level is good prior to arriving. The leadership he experienced as the cadet command chief will put him ahead. Congrats to him for this leadership position.
Thank you for your service! Joshua was the Cadet Wing Command Chief, went to Leadership School and really enjoyed his 4 yrs in ROTC. Also ran track and cross country. Took 2nd place in a city wide event so darn good runner unlike his dad. Running nearly killed me at basic. He has about a 26" waist I think. Not an ounce of fat on him. We had fun looking at my old photo albums, talking stories. I told him how my TI planted a tag in my shirt and I ended up making something like 5000 tags. Worked on those suckers day and night. Oh and how our flight had a "White Tornado" Ti ripped apart our dorm room, flipped beds, flooded the bays, through salt tablets down the aisles. I know, TI's don't do that any more right... Hey did you ever know CMSgt Billy Blackburn? Was at Lackland quite a while. When he was a young new TI, my old TI was his trainer. He later became my 1st Sgt in Recruiting and later he returned to TI and became Supt. BMT. Sometimes I think we lived in a small AF. Thanks again for the advice!! Joshua appreciates it!!
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #13

Our youngest daughter's husband did 20 years USAF and eventually retired with a disability. He was a load-master/flight engineer on the C-141 Starlifter and ended his career when the Starlifter was eventually retired. Its replacement, the C-17, didn't need a flight engineer.

His last assignment was at McGuire AFB, hauling presidential limousines around for official visits. He and our daughter were very pleased when they were freed up to relocate to Washington State.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Thank you for your service! Joshua was the Cadet Wing Command Chief, went to Leadership School and really enjoyed his 4 yrs in ROTC. Also ran track and cross country. Took 2nd place in a city wide event so darn good runner unlike his dad. Running nearly killed me at basic. He has about a 26" waist I think. Not an ounce of fat on him. We had fun looking at my old photo albums, talking stories. I told him how my TI planted a tag in my shirt and I ended up making something like 5000 tags. Worked on those suckers day and night. Oh and how our flight had a "White Tornado" Ti ripped apart our dorm room, flipped beds, flooded the bays, through salt tablets down the aisles. I know, TI's don't do that any more right... Hey did you ever know CMSgt Billy Blackburn? Was at Lackland quite a while. When he was a young new TI, my old TI was his trainer. He later became my 1st Sgt in Recruiting and later he returned to TI and became Supt. BMT. Sometimes I think we lived in a small AF. Thanks again for the advice!! Joshua appreciates it!!
WOW small world. Yes, Billy Blackburn is a great man. I worked with him in 80s, 90s and again when he was the Supt. I spent 18 of my 23 yrs in BMT. Joined in 84 got out in 94 under the rollback. Joined again in 01. The AF did great things for me proud to have worn the uniform with campaign hat and retired as CMSgt. Tell Joshua best of luck and remain strong. Integrity First, Service before self and excellence in all we do. If you plan on attending his graduation the Thursday of graduation week will be an Amn's run and retreat. Friday will be the graduation parade. Also on Friday you will get to see the dorm. If he gets assigned to the 323d or 321st you will get to see the new dorms. These dorms are awesome

BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote