Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Overall Length

I am new to the rv world we own a 38.5 foot WRV alpine I'm look at purchasing an enclosed trailer that is 32 foot long which will give me an over all length of about 70 foot. My state law states max rv length is 65 foot. Has any rv owner been cited for length?
krob911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I've yet to read about anybody being cited for being over the limit - and have read lots of folks "bragging" about not having been. However, when I read about it - it always leaves me wondering about the bigger picture. I can't imagine there not being some increased liability issues (negligence charges perhaps?) if one were to have an accident while driving a "over length" vehicle. What impact would it have on insurance coverage? (there's just gotta be a clause in there somewhere about an "illegal" vehicle invalidating coverage).

Can't say I know the answer to any of those questions ... but would hate to drive "long" thinking I was getting away with something and find out the hard way.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:26 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
All it takes is a hot shot trooper that wants to make a name for him/her self to ruin your trip, why take a chance at having to drop your trailer someplace thousands of miles from home.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:23 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
One of many moves while on active duty, Florida State Trooper, ticketed the moving van while loading in front of my house for overlength vehicle, so it does happen. (also remember a lot of damage because of PO'ed driver)

Norman- I think someone here said that insurance is a contract, with a stated exclusion "while committing a felony"
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Norman- I think someone here said that insurance is a contract, with a stated exclusion "while committing a felony"
Certainly driving an over length rig in and of itself wouldn't constitute a felony - but I still struggle to think that insurance companies would view that as the only excuse to deny coverage. Let somebody be injured in an accident - and there's no telling what twists and turns the ensuing legal battle will take. Weird stuff happens once lawyers, juries and the legal system are involved - even to folks who are seemingly 100% in the right. It's the kind of risk that could easily be financially catastrophic. It's certainly NOT a risk I'd be willing to take.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:31 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
This has always been a concern, Because different states have different length laws. So if I'm legal in my home state and I cross the border now what. I do know that As a racer attending races in Fla that you can apply and get a temporary permit for over length vehicles. There are states that do issue permits but not every state does this. Also part of the problem is most DOT laws are written with commercial vehicles being the main crux of things. I'm still confused as to when commercial and R.V rules and regulations are considered and how the actual laws are administered.
porchracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:36 PM   #7

For RV's, if you're legal in your home state you are legal elsewhere.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:27 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep, I've Seen It

There is a spot in east San Diego county on I-8 where the CHP sets up a pull-out to check motorhomes for length, and pick-ups for weight...
It is the route from town to the off-road areas in Imperial County and Yuma AZ.

I personally know they will cite you for over-length and will cite pick-ups with those BIG 5th wheel toy haulers for over-weight. The owners are required to unhook, and leave the trailer (with them - a kind of impound, 'cuz if you are not back within a day, they tow it "for you"). So, the owner must come back for an over-length rig with a pick-up, or unload the over-weight rig into other vehicles, before proceeding.

65' is the federal highway max for non-commercial vehicle combinations on the Interstates...does not seem to matter where the RV is licensed.

Towing over-length is done everyday by RV'ers...doesn't make it right or legal. You can be cited...and if there is an accident, you could be liable for being in violation of vehicle code, like any other violation

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:57 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by krob911 View Post
I am new to the rv world we own a 38.5 foot WRV alpine I'm look at purchasing an enclosed trailer that is 32 foot long which will give me an over all length of about 70 foot. My state law states max rv length is 65 foot. Has any rv owner been cited for length?

Just buy a 27 footer then !
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:52 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Another factor to consider about buying an enclosed or any trailer to haul behind your MH, and that is what will you do with it at the campgrounds you visit. You probably will not find pull thru sites to accommodate your length, and not all campgrounds have a lot where you can unhook and leave your trailer while you're there.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:27 AM   #11

I've owned my 20' V nose trailer for 10 years, didn't think about a MH when I bought it as at that time I had a 5er toy hauler. Now that I have a MH, I use the big trailer for some trips when I need to haul more than 2 bikes. I got lucky, MH mirrors to trailer rear, 64' 11". No joke

However, in the short time we have been doing this, we realized its a pain off the interstates here on the east coast getting around small town streets, etc.. But really much more difficult to get 65' to 70' campsites. It is a pain to drop trailer, your stuff is usually the other side of the CG, trips back and forth etc..

We bought a 7x12 trailer, and use it for our normal load of 1 or 2 bikes. We are almost the identical length of my sons f250 superduty crew cab and 38' toy hauler, 56'. We fit in most large campsites. I'll still use the big trailer from time to time, but it is a compromise to easy driving and easy campsite access.

I would not go over 65'. Years ago brother had and accident using my E150 ford van towing a jeep cj5 on a open trailer. Drunk came in his lane and they had a head on collision,,, despite my brother slid down the guardrail for 75' trying to avoid the collision by being as far right as possible. The drunk driver was killed. However his family sued, as my F150 was overweight. Insurance settled out of court. But I was pretty stressed for a long time until that closed over my liability as the vehicle owner. The wreck was very clearly the other guys fault,,,, but the overweight factor moved some percentage of fault to us. Would the other guy have lived, if the van wasn't overloaded, slow down 5 more mph, had less force at the collision point??? We will never know.

L.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
Just buy a 27 footer then !
Still illegal by up to five feet.

It's a practicality thing for a lot of drag racers. MOST of the used pushers on the market are around 38'. Some are longer, and a few are shorter. You stick the average length dragster in a trailer and anything needed to keep it on the track, and 28' is just about the minimum you can do. Now you are 3 to 5 feet over. I'm not arguing that it is correct or proper and we know it isn't legal on many roads. But I have yet to run across a situation where an accident was caused by an overlength race rig or made worse. Weight is generally the complicating factor. I am well within my legal weight limits.

But back to the original question: It happens. It seems to be a local thing though. There are some areas that target overlength around race tracks as an easy money grab and nothing else. Most times you will have no issue unless you are doing something else that raises attention. I will say that most 32's are 3 axle. Well that is going to be rated over 10k lbs. That puts you in CDL land in our state. Something to consider while shopping.