Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2016, 04:48 PM   #15

We pull a 5W like the OP and if we have a hookup we usually will microwave something prepared like soup, stew, pulled pork, etc.
If no hookup, won't hook up generator, just put it in a pan on the gas stove. Nothing better than hot stew after you have pulled all day and set up in the rain, even if you don't unhitch.
Tightwadted is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2016, 06:02 PM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Rita usually will make a casserole and we either reheat in the microwave or put it in the oven to heat. Sometimes we will just have leftovers, but that depends on what is in the fridge.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:56 PM   #17

For a couple of weeks before a long trip, I make meals that can be frozen and reheated easily for those days on the road. I also use the crock pot while we're traveling from point A to B. I also cook for leftovers! For overnight stops, we do not drag the grill out even if we're in a place that it's okay to do so.

I stock frozen veggies that can be nuked in the 'wave, potatoes are easy to fix in the 'wave as well & salads in a bag are a life saver.

I've fixed pork loin and frozen enough for a meal, buffalo chicken (I use breasts cut into strips), stews, chili, pulled pork BBQ....just about anything that at freezes well. For breakfast, we usually have a bowl of cereal or some yogurt and lunch is a sandwich fixed at a rest stop.

We don't eat out a lot at the S&B or while we're traveling because it's not convenient and most aren't all that healthy.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:11 PM   #18

Drag out the Crock-Pot. You can make almost anything in it I have a small one that I bought at Walmart. Fits nicely in our stainless steel sink just plug it into my inverter fill it with whatever I'm going to eat that day whether it be soup Chili's or even barbecue in it. 5 hours later it's ready to eat. Easy to strap with down with an inexpensive bungee cord. Just put the cord around handles holds the lid on.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:14 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well reading thease post make's me realize how good it is not to have a schedual. I remember thoes frantic long drives because we onley had 7 dayes or two weeks.
I now try to be on the road by 8:30-9 and off the road by 3. Lunch is mostley a sandwitch sometimes if it is cool some soup or stew. When I get to the campground and set up I still have time to take the car and look around. I like to find a good local restaeaunt if posible. Why would you drive the Main coast and sit in a park and eat caned chicken?
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:12 PM   #20

We have made a couple of meatloafs, purchased a fully prepared ham and also made a couple of quiches. Anyone of the three can be turned into lunch or dinner. I make a killer meatloaf soup that just requires throwing stuff in the pressure cooker. Meatloaf also works for tacos or Spaghetti. We also have been know to purchase a deli sliced lunch meats and speciality rolls for lunch. Make sandwiches in the morning before pulling out. It is really nice not to have to concern one's self with what is for dinner or lunch when you are traveling.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:30 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for all the good ideas everyone. I don't think we will go hungry!
I was noticing a lot of crock pots and wondering about how they would travel.
As dustyone mentioned, I guess it would ride ok in the sink with the lid held on.
MSD81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #22

FWIW Not sure a crock pot is as good in a fiver as in a MH. It depends on how much power you are feeding back to the batteries in the fiver. ;-)

Breakfast can be hot or cold cereal depending on the mood, try for a mid morning or afternoon snack stop where we often find something interesting for dinner along with the groceries. Always start with a few casseroles in the freezer and replenish as needed. Lunch is deli meat and/or canned soup or leftovers from night before. We stop and take a noon break including a short nap. No hurry, not long mile days if we can help it. ;-)

Half hour of generator time will run the microwave and run the electric hot water heater element assuming the batteries are already topped off from the day's run it keeps them up for the night. Hit it the same way in the morning to bulk charge and supply the morning heavy power hit.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid_dk View Post
We have made a couple of meatloafs, purchased a fully prepared ham and also made a couple of quiches. I make a killer meatloaf soup that just requires throwing stuff in the pressure cooker.

Okay, I have to ask, why do you have to pressure cook the meatloaf soup? That's some pretty tough meatloaf!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:26 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Okay, I have to ask, why do you have to pressure cook the meatloaf soup? That's some pretty tough meatloaf!
Because you have to bring all the flavors together. In the pot goes meatloaf chunks, canned potatoes, canned or fresh baby carrots, canned green beans, diced fresh onion, canned flavored tomatoes and salt/pepper. Twenty minutes in the pressure cooker and you have an amazingly tasty soup. We did it out of desperation one night and now it has become a regular quick overnight classic for cold winter travel nights.

Meatloaf is the swiss army knife of traveling food for us. Has many different possible uses for dinner and it makes good sandwiches for lunch. Plus it is real easy to make the night before you leave. Toss the ingredients into a mixing bowl, tear off a sheet of parchment to line the baking pan, shape the loaves, stick the temp probe into the loaf, set the oven temp and forget about it till it is done.
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:28 PM   #25

Saw the post about not sure how much a crock pot will be worth. I use mine in a travel trailer. It's a smaller one that I've got from Walmart it's power usage is really only 100 Watts of power I have seen larger ones that only use approximately 600 watts of power. I believe mine is a two-and-a-half to three court big enough for the DW and I. And it can be used with an inexpensive inverter.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:20 AM   #26

We are full timers and I always prepare lunch for travel days the night before. It is usually a salad and all we have to do is get them out of the fridge and eat them. We usually stop at rest areas and in warm weather, we eat at a picnic table. Otherwise, we eat in the truck. I always prepare a cooked breakfast (eggs and breakfast meat) everyday. And we love to smoke items on our Davey Crocket smoker and we always prepare extra for the freezer. Add a steamed veggie and we have a great dinner. I am not fond of crock pot cooked meats. To me, the texture is terrible.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:27 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
QUAOTEOften use our crock pot on long days if we'll be running the generator anyway (AC in a class a).
We do the same as Statgeek at times. We have a smaller slow cooker that we can power from the inverter or the gen while driving.
Only draw back is the hours of smelling dinner cooking while your driving.

Enjoy the drive
Mr.Geritol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #28

One of our favorite "on-the-road" meals is taco's... I usually cook up the meat (either ground beef or fajita chicken) before we leave... and when we're on the road, we just fire up the microwave to warm the meat, the other fixin's are in the fridge.. very little effort and a great meal that is quick...
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote