Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2016, 07:28 AM   #43

We're also using the crock pot - it's only 150 watts. We make a big pot of soup or chili when plugged in at a park. Then we can reheat for lunch on the road. Even cook whole chickens in crock pot and we have chicken for sandwiches and tacos. We're also freezing a lot - passed a great butcher shop with local beef and stocked up on steaks. Keeps the freezer full and energy efficient.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2016, 04:13 PM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Wow, I never new McDonalds served lobster rolls! . . . . However, McDonalds would definitely NOT be on my list of places to stop to sample the local cuisine!

Just sayin'!
True but that was more of an aside coment. I heard from a local and had to try it, not to bad. Did you know the further north in main you go the cheaper the lobster and steamers. If in Eastport stop by Rays Main Mustard factorey and by some good mustard.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:03 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
We've only been doing the RV thing for a year now ... but so far, almost all of our quick "overnight stops" have been at times when the coach was still winterized (i.e., while traveling from Michigan to Florida at the beginning of January (didn't unwinterize until we got to Florida) ... and again while traveling back to Michigan in late February (re-winterized in Kentucky, just before heading into Indiana - then got hit a snowstorm and overnighted at a Cabelas just outside of Indianapolis). While we've always had sandwich fixin's as well as stuff we could nuke - without fresh running water to wash thing we've usually tried to avoid using the kitchen. That - plus the fact that "quick Overnight stops" usually mean we've been in the coach driving day and don't mind getting out of it for a change of scenery. We usually end up walking to whatever is nearby and eating out. Breakfast ends up being a couple of sausage biscuits and coffee from McDonalds as before we hit the freeway. When we've got fresh water and a fully function galley .. and traveling at our preferred pace (as opposed to mid-winter speed runs to/from warm weather) - we try to stick to the 3/300 rule and are off the road in plenty of time to enjoy a home cooked meal - and virtually NEVER eat out.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Breakfast on moving day is eaten on the road. We boil eggs the night before and clean up the kitchen then so quicker exit in the AM. A proper brekkie might be in order - second breakfast - further on down the road.
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:45 PM   #47

Cereal in the morning before leaving the rest area/Flying J, sandwich at noon, or thereabouts, at another rest area and a walk about, cooked meal in the evening and another walk around the evening rest area. A nice shower before bed and start all over again the next day. No schedule, just stop when we are tired/hungry/need to potty and go when we're rested. Usually get about 600 miles per day. Sometimes a little more. That's when we're going from point A to point B.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:52 PM   #48

Pulled pork, chili, spaghetti, pizza if it's a Friday.
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:24 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
IMO stopping for 20 minutes at a rest stop to eat lunch is better than eating on the go. Taking the time for a stretch and a short relax will stand you in better stead than the few miles or minutes you can make while eating and driving.

Taking a short stop will make is seem like you are starting the trip fresh again.

It will be safer all round.
We do this often also and I agree 100%. We even did it sometimes when I was working and we had time constraints.

IMHO, rest when you are tired, drive when you are rested.

I must admit I haven't always done this, but when I was younger it seemed easier to just keep going (although most likely not any safer).

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #50

Was sitting here thinking about getting my redneck land yacht out. Or should I call it by its real name camper. When I recall that the wife does use the Crock-Pot a lot. She will place small jar of spaghetti sauce into it and then Frozen hamburger usually the patties like you make hamburgers with. We will have we will have some of the patties for lunch. Then in the evening she will put on a pot of water to boil make spaghetti. Add to Sauce and a couple of the patties are broken up and we have spaghetti dinner. Works well.... Dusty
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:31 PM   #51

When traveling from point A to B we usually get going in the morning with a cup of coffee / tea and stop after about an hour or so at a rest stop for breakfast. We are not ones to eat right after getting up. Lunch is usually a sandwich, if it is cool weather soup or chili. We have a salad later after the days drive is done. We usually take a short walk after each of our meals. Dr says it helps with digestion and blood sugars.
CA Harts is offline   Reply With Quote