Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #1

Oxygen use in MH?

I recently acquired a health issue that has me sleeping with an O2 Concentrator (?) hose stuck up my nose. Nurse put a sign in the bedroom window, "No smoking or fire. O2 in use." Something like that. Having spent over 20 years with military aircraft I am aware of the dangers of O2 and fire.

I have had this vision of being on the road in our 32 foot MH, sleeping all night with the O2 machine pumping O2 into my nose and the bedroom. Mrs. gets up to make breakfast. Turns on the propane range top stove and the whole MH blows up.

O.K. Kind of stretching it but I am somewhat concerned about using the O2 machine in a confined space where open flame is used daily. If it comes to "O2 machine-or-motorhome", the O2 machine looses. I AM going and with the MH.

Anyone else sleep with O2? Any special measures to ensure safety?
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have traveled with my DWs concentrator in the motor home with no problems, this also includes running the Gen while on the move. Just to ease your mind you might check the connections prior to turning on the appliances and then let it air out if you find one disconected. Really don't know how much the air gets concentrated, know for sure it is not "pure"oxygen.

Just as a side bar, I bought an extra concentrator to leave in the motorhome so I didn't need to lug it back and forth between the house and motor home. Craigslist has a lot of stuff from the medical world.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #3

Thank you Don. I'll look into finding a concentrator to keep in the MH. Like you I don't care to lug this one in and out.
SKP #111927
Old 08-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
SteveCal: DW has used 02 (24/7) in MH for years. The concentration of oxygen in the room is minimal. (Clearance of about 5 feet from a flame is recommended)
At night we leave the overhead Koolmatic fan on low for circulation. Oxygen may concentrate around a user's clothing or bedding. Avoid electric blankets, and no oxygen when using electric razor or hair dryer. Oxygen itself is not flammable...it does support combustion. Don't run hoses under blankets or carpet.

We have a Sequal Eclipse portable concentrator we use in the Mh. Works off 120 vac, 12vdc or internal battery. Fits under the dinette. Provides both steady and pulse oxygen flow..Some portable concentrators only provide pulse flow, and most 02 users need steady flow at night.
Hope this helps
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #5

Thank you Hooligan. With what you guys have said I will be more comfortable using the machine. I'm shopping now for an O2 machine to keep in the MH. I wonder if Medicaid will pay for one? Medicaid is now paying for a rental.
SKP #111927
Old 08-19-2013, 03:19 AM   #6

From a whole-room point of view, the machine increases the O2 concentration in the delivered air by decreasing the concentration in the exhaust air the same amount so given that air currents always exist and natural mixing happen quickly, I doubt whether there is any increased danger beyond a couple of inches from the user and even then, you would need an ignition source to be within that zone.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
My understanding is Medicaid/medicare will rent the oxygen equipment but not buy the unit. Considerably more expensive in the long run. (Rental also includes maintenance and repair plus ancillary equipment, which may be necessary for a majority of users. We met a lady who had used the same hose, humidifier and cannula for almost a year )

I purchased from Oximedical, very helpful, good follow-up when I had questions. It does pay to shop around, prices vary significantly. Even if not buying new, the website shows most of the newer portables...
Portable & Home Oxygen Concentrators - Wholesale Prices | Oximedical Respiratory

Some units are certified for air travel..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote