Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #127

Ok folks, there are two issue here. Having a weapon and having a loaded weapon. If you have a loaded concealed weapon you need a CCW if not the weapon must be locked up, unloaded and ammunition stored in a different location in many states.

In AZ a motorhome must be in a paid, rented spot to be considered to be your home. So in AZ if you have a loaded weapon in your MH and you are boondocking unless you have a CCW you are in violation of the law.

I do not know the laws of other states. But the quotes of laws in this thread if you read them do disclose the need for the fire arm to be locked up, unloaded and with the ammunition in a second location. If in doubt ask a law enforcement officer. I have.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #128

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
If in doubt ask a law enforcement officer. I have.
Problem with that is that, in a lot of cases, they don't really know the law. That's been shown over and over in other forums and even in this thread. We have officers here that say you can't open or concealed carry (with a license) in city or county parks, when in fact it is legal and was just upheld by the State Supreme Court.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #129

The way you read AZ law & the way I read AZ law is very differant , lol.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #130

Depends upon the state and I am not sure what you mean by open. Usually the state laws are easy to find on the inet and are pretty precise. If you would like to challenge the law and then take it to the supreme court go for it.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #131

It's not how I read the law it is the way the CCW instructor for AZ explained the law to us. To be considered a home your home must be in a space you are paying for.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #132

NO MORE POST for me! Seems there are too many that just want to argue, state OPINIONS and get attention, not me, life is too short to argue or have hard feelings! First off, I DO NOT need a permit to carry in my motorhome, it is my home and I have a right to have a gun there and I do, I have two, one in front and one in the rear and if I want to, I will add one in the middle.

(moderator edit)

Next, my Sheriffs Dept. went over the law very throughly with me and said that I DID NOT HAVE TO HAVE A PERMIT TO CARRY IN MY MOTORHOME as it falls under "YOUR HOME" and therefore you can have a gun in it.
If people would stop posting "OPINIONS" and go as I did to the Sheriffs Department and as I did to the Police Department who confirmed exactly what the Sherrifs Dept. had told me. So in summary, I am confident that my Sheriffs Department & Police Department has informed me correctly and not stated an opinion so I need no further discussion on the matter as far as I am concerned. I merely tried to help those seeking facts and help and apparently there are always many lurking wanting to "ARGUE" or "CLOUD" issues with their "OPINIONS" and I am sorry for even trying to help those that genuinely wanted help. In the future, I will be very hesitant about posting anything so as not to be engaged in those who just want to argue or try to put someone down in front of others to gain attention to feed their ego's. Those who want to carry a gun, if you have a motorhome, you have a right to protect and defend your "HOME" and a motorhome under the law is your "HOME" and NO it does not have to be parked, it is still your "HOME", that is according to the LAW.

May you have happy trails and sage trips, keep on RV'ing for the good life and by all means, PACK HEAT to protect your HOME!
Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #133

Rv, I know your done, but I do know per Illinois law it's not that cut & dry, in Illinois your allowed to transport your unloaded firearm accross the state as long as its locked up, no matter what your driving. If your camping in Illinois with a firearm in your camper without a "FOID" card, you are in violation of the law because Illinois law requires anyone staying in the state is required to have a Stupid FOID card.
Forest, I was just looking at AZ law, I see something that is confusing. AZ allows anyone who can legally own a gun to carry openly or concealed a firearm..,, but if in a parked vehicle the only covers you if it's loaded when you have a permit.,, if I read that right, that's kinda silly. So I don't need a permit to walk around, but if I'm parked I need a permit ?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #134

AZ is an open carry state. If you have a gun you can put it in a holster where it is visible and go about your way except in those locations or businesses that prohibit it, look for signs. To conceal a loaded weapon you need a CCW. is there a dichotomy, sure is, no when boon docking, yes in a RV park.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #135

Forest you can now carry concealed in AZ without a permit
Old 05-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #136

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
AZ is an open carry state. If you have a gun you can put it in a holster where it is visible and go about your way except in those locations or businesses that prohibit it, look for signs. To conceal a loaded weapon you need a CCW. is there a dichotomy, sure is, no when boon docking, yes in a RV park.
WA is also an open carry state, OR is supposed to be except that some cities have banned it.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #137

Mr.d , MO is also an open carry state, however most local laws don't allow it, it's rare to see anyone carry.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Forest you can now carry concealed in AZ without a permit
I did a quick search. In 2010 such a law was up for passage however if you check with AZ dept of Public Safety still issues the permits, I just received mine and they state it needs to be in your possession to carry.

Either the law didn't pass or it was repealed.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #139

Guess the CCW firearms instructor was wrong, but I doubt it. He has had something like 17,000 CCW's issued.

Get as mad as you want and then you might understand why you probably should not have a loaded gun in your vehicle/motorhome. BTW carrying a concealed weapon is a felony.

Just FYI a CCW holder who does use his/her gun to ""stop a threat" spends $44,000 in legal fees to defend their use of the weapon. It is probably better to learn how to avoid the need to use a gun than to spout what you believe your rights are. No where do you have the right to take another's life.

Normally the police do not search a motorhome, give them a reason they will.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #140

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Mr.d , MO is also an open carry state, however most local laws don't allow it, it's rare to see anyone carry.
WA has a state preemption law so the cities and counties are uniform in their laws. They can't have anything on the books more stringent than the state allows.