Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2015, 08:23 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Some of them are very convincing... I seldom give, but one day going into a resteraunt for breakfast I was approached by an elderly man who was very clean and well groomed. He was wearing a back pack with a small American flag protruding from it. He claimed he had an appointment at the VA, which was right down the street, but when he got there they cancelled his appointment. He went on to say that they usually give a bus permit for the ride home and a meal in the cafeteria. He said they gave him nothing since an error had been made on appointment. He asked for some spare change for bus fare to get home. I fell for it hook line and sinker. Gave him $5.00 and felt good. A week later I went to same resteraunt and there he was, giving the same pitch to another unsuspecting customer. He was very convincing.. It does leave you wondering how much someone like that can take in per day.. I have given money to people I see collecting cans, eating from trash cans, etc. These people are in obvious need. Would anyone not truly in need eat from a trash can ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #30

I have a friend who before the Great Recession (and the unemployment rate here in Phx was 2%) used to keep employment applications handy whenever he went to downtown events and pass them on to panhandlers who would approach him for money. The applications were rarely well received by the panhandlers.

There is a man who has been on a commercial corner I frequently drive by who holds up a sign with a picture of a young man on it, with text asking for help to bury his son. He has been doing this for over a year!

I never give to panhandlers, but I do always feel "there but for the grace of God go I". I choose to give to real charities.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:01 AM   #31

When I was running a sub-contracting company I offered jobs to quite a few so called needy people panhandling. I was always turned down. If you take into consideration what they can make panhandling, which by the way is non-taxable, then add the benefits they can get from the American taxpayer, like food stamps, rent subsidies, welfare... etc. Why in the world would they want to work 40hrs. a wk. and have to deal with all the headaches that normal Americans face everyday?
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:47 AM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAZ View Post
I have a friend who before the Great Recession (and the unemployment rate here in Phx was 2%) used to keep employment applications handy whenever he went to downtown events and pass them on to panhandlers who would approach him for money. The applications were rarely well received by the panhandlers.

There is a man who has been on a commercial corner I frequently drive by who holds up a sign with a picture of a young man on it, with text asking for help to bury his son. He has been doing this for over a year!

I never give to panhandlers, but I do always feel "there but for the grace of God go I". I choose to give to real charities.

WOW! His son must be a patient man!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:51 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I lived in South Florida there used to be a man at the off ramp with a sign for money. He was a good worker as he never missed a day at "work". One day I saw him walk to a parking lot on the other side of the overpass and get in a new F-150 4x4 with the temp tag still on it.

As far as the dog tag for veterans, yes they can be bought at a lot of different locations. If you want to help but need more proof, ask to see there military ID.

I recently had a gentleman come up to me outside a hotel in downtown Atlanta. He said he wasn't asking for money, but would I buy him a cup of coffee. There was a Starbucks in the hotel and I bought him a large coffee and a breakfast biscuit.

It's hard to figure out who really needs the help and who is just scamming people. Sometimes you just have to go with your gut.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:58 PM   #34

Too many grifters, especially here in Fla. I just tell them my wife won't let me have any cash, just one credit card.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #35

Now days they can pull out their smart phones and take your credit card.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:22 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Lynne, I ask three questions; 1) are you hungry, 2) do you need shelter or clothing, 3) are you willing to work for the money you need? In the past 10 years I've had the opportunity to help these folks help themselves ONE time. Not one was willing to work, and not one (including alleged battered women with children) wanted a ride to the nearest shelter, or for the shelter to be notified.

The one exception happened recently when a man asked me for some money at a gas station saying he was hungry and he would wash the windshield or anything for a few bucks. My son overheard the discussion and offered to buy him dinner if he would accept. The man was very grateful for the offer and my son & I stayed with him while he ordered and his food was delivered. He apologized for his appearance, thanked us again, and said he would understand if we wanted to be seated elsewhere or leave. We stayed, enjoyed a nice meal with a man who is less fortunate than we are, and were reminded once again of the many blessings we enjoy.

-David
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:41 PM   #37

New Horizons Owners Club
It's great when circumstances put you in a place and the position to be able to help someone. This is almost always when a person is not asking for help, but it is obvious help is needed. As for the rest of the people asking for money, it is near impossible to tell who really needs help and who is scamming. I figure that begging on the corner or wherever is not the way to get help so I don't give money help or encourage that behavior.
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:50 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
What's your opinion and how do you handle panhandlers?

I work in Lansing, MI and for years now there have been several panhandlers at a lot of intersections of the city. They are out there in all weathers.

An article was ran in the paper stating not to give them money and the panhandlers who were interviewed said they made around $200 to $400 a week at their job. The paper stated that there were numerous city help centers for these people but they are overran with the needs of the community.

Where I live in a small town, we saw the first panhandler the day before Christmas. He had a sign stating he would work to buy his 4 kids Christmas.

I have been approached at gas stations, restaurants, and stores by people asking for money. I have no problem giving to people less fortunate but how do you know these people really need help?

How do you respond to these people when approached and asked for money? I have told them "No." I donate to several programs and that is where I choose to donate my money.

Lynne
I either pass them by or offer them a job on the farm, like helping build fence, etc. I've never had one accept a job. Now we have a lot of young women panhandling (college town). I offer them the same jobs, no takers.
I've often referred women to the Salvation Army for assistance, even the local womens shelter, but they just get a blank look.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:39 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've heard that panhandlers can make $40,000 or more a year.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:45 PM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Actually it's sometimes much higher, up in to the $60-100,000 per year.

My son used to hire people. Had one man tell him he had to make at least $22 per hour in order to make as much as he got on unemployment and other free help.

I was approached a couple times just at one gas station. One was a young kid with a backpack. I just held up my hand and told him to leave. Another one was a supposed service man on the way back to his base. He asked if I had any drugs, which I have never had. Called 911 and followed him till he got on the freeway. No use then since we were less than 3 miles from the OR border.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:19 AM   #41

[QUOTE=Thunderfoot;2878899]Lynne, I ask three questions; 1) are you hungry, 2) do you need shelter or clothing, 3) are you willing to work for the money you need? In the past 10 years I've had the opportunity to help these folks help themselves ONE time. Not one was willing to work, and not one (including alleged battered women with children) wanted a ride to the nearest shelter, or for the shelter to be notified.

The one exception happened recently when a man asked me for some money at a gas station saying he was hungry and he would wash the windshield or anything for a few bucks. My son overheard the discussion and offered to buy him dinner if he would accept. The man was very grateful for the offer and my son & I stayed with him while he ordered and his food was delivered. He apologized for his appearance, thanked us again, and said he would understand if we wanted to be seated elsewhere or leave. We stayed, enjoyed a nice meal with a man who is less fortunate than we are, and were reminded once again of the many blessings we enjoy.

-David

Goes to show, there are some people who actually are very hungry. As mentioned in above posts most people when asked didn't even want to work like other people and buy their own meals. But maybe, just maybe this guy at that time at which you found him, was hungry, maybe very hungry and your meal of kindness and conversation may have changed him in some small way.
I just think it was a good deed, and showed kindness. Thanks for sharing that story. It made me feel good hearing it and I know it must have made you feel good doing it.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
I live in a large city where there are panhandlers at every big intersections. I do not give to them. Instead I support the local homeless shelters, rescue mission, and Salvation Army. Help is available in my community for both financial and mental health issues. Drug abuse has less support available since all the available spots are filled pretty much all the time, but referrals are through the previous agencies.

Not all communities have such good support.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote