Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #43

I usually tell them I have no money to give them. Even if my wallet is full, I actually have no money to give them.
Before you think me evil know that I give generously to charities and organizations that I know are doing good with the money. And my taxes support homeless shelters and food kitchens.

davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #44

In our area a couple of years ago a woman was stabbed in the neck when she rolled her window down to give a panhandler money. Being in your vehicle at a stop light is too vulnerable. I'm more generous while on foot in a busy area or am most likely to give to an organization who knows who is really homeless and in need. When I do give to an individual I don't give with expectations, only hope, of how it will be spent. We did spend Christmas morning last year serving lunch at a women's shelter. Yes, I believe the majority had mental health issues. I remember in the 70's, I think. .. maybe 80's... they closed the last state mental hospital in indiana. My mom said, "there goes the crime rate. .." As an adult I realize the prophetic nature of her words. Mental illness must be addressed...

Old 12-30-2015, 07:54 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
I usually tell them I have no money to give them. Even if my wallet is full, I actually have no money to give them.
Before you think me evil know that I give generously to charities and organizations that I know are doing good with the money. And my taxes support homeless shelters and food kitchens.
It is good to know there are lots of people who do give to charities and different organizations like you do. But I think sometimes, in certain situations and places, someone who is truly down and out might catch your attention for some reason or the other, and if you use your best judgement
of that person with all of our years having lived with humanity, this person may just pull that certain string to your heart that may lead some to show compassion toward them. Even if it is just a nice smile and a nod of your head.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:27 AM   #46

Quote:
And my taxes support homeless shelters and food kitchens.
Could you please provide more information on homeless shelters and food kitchens that are run on tax dollars and not private donations?
Old 12-30-2015, 09:45 AM   #47

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
Could you please provide more information on homeless shelters and food kitchens that are run on tax dollars and not private donations?

Do you not believe that government agencies use tax dollars to support homeless shelters and food kitchens? In our town, we have a recurring ballot item to expend tax dollars on a variety of social services, including a food pantry. The county and state have correspondingly larger-scale budgets and services. Often these are provided through contracts with charitable organizations that (hopefully) work with an efficiency and effectiveness that government simply cannot achieve.

Something a little closer to home? http://www.austintexas.gov/departmen...ess-assistance

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #48

I call the local Sheriffs Dept and let them provide the individual(s) with the proper help.

If they are scammers........they get rousted

If they are truly in need they get directed to the proper agency that can provide help
Old 12-30-2015, 10:50 AM   #49

Woman begging for change, gets caught acting like she's cripple

Old 12-30-2015, 10:52 AM   #50

https://www.google.com/search?q=begg...w=1152&bih=650
Old 12-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #51

I just don't get it. I'm just talking some compassion here. I understand there are places for these unfortunate folks to go for help in their county or state to eat or sleep (maybe) I'm just telling you that I for one actually overthink their predicament and In some cases let my emotional side actually put myself in their shoes. I do not do this with all of them,(like posts above have noted, most are just scammers and professional panhandlers ) just the ones for some reason or the other move me to think of them as a person, no different than me. There are some of them out there that are mental, disabled, in between jobs, etc. etc., I just feel sad for those who have fallen through the cracks in the system, though maybe just temporarily. I suppose I could not have empathy for any of them, and
just forget they exist at all. Maybe if I don't look, they will go away.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:09 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
I just don't get it. I'm just talking some compassion here. I understand there are places for these unfortunate folks to go for help in their county or state to eat or sleep (maybe) I'm just telling you that I for one actually overthink their predicament and In some cases let my emotional side actually put myself in their shoes. I do not do this with all of them,(like posts above have noted, most are just scammers and professional panhandlers ) just the ones for some reason or the other move me to think of them as a person, no different than me. There are some of them out there that are mental, disabled, in between jobs, etc. etc., I just feel sad for those who have fallen through the cracks in the system, though maybe just temporarily. I suppose I could not have empathy for any of them, and
just forget they exist at all. Maybe if I don't look, they will go away.
I do not think the people who do not choose to give are not compassionate. Unlike you they can not tell by just looking at a person begging if that person is:
- truly needy or a scammer
- using the money for drugs
- using the money for alcohol
- by giving money they are enabling the street life instead of the person seeking help.
- (by giving money) creating an area where people come to beg and harass others for money

I myself wish I had your ability to just look a person and determine the worthy and unworthy of giving money.

Could you enlighten us how you do it?
Old 12-30-2015, 11:26 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
I do not think the people who do not choose to give are not compassionate. Unlike you they can not tell by just looking at a person begging if that person is:
- truly needy or a scammer
- using the money for drugs
- using the money for alcohol
- by giving money they are enabling the street life instead of the person seeking help.
- (by giving money) creating an area where people come to beg and harass others for money

I myself wish I had your ability to just look a person and determine the worthy and unworthy of giving money.

Could you enlighten us how you do it?
If you do not understand my post this is sad. I tried to explain my feelings the best I could. You need to be enlightened, this is for sure.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post
It is good to know there are lots of people who do give to charities and different organizations like you do. But I think sometimes, in certain situations and places, someone who is truly down and out might catch your attention for some reason or the other, and if you use your best judgement
of that person with all of our years having lived with humanity, this person may just pull that certain string to your heart that may lead some to show compassion toward them. Even if it is just a nice smile and a nod of your head.
You got me. I have had a few weak moments where I bought gas (he was parked at the pump.) And a few $$ here and there.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:30 PM   #55

Quote:
You got me. I have had a few weak moments where I bought gas (he was parked at the pump.) And a few $$ here and there.
You went to Mars on that one......
Old 12-30-2015, 05:04 PM   #56

Meant to say I've bought gas for a few people parked at the pumps asking for gas money. Got distracted.