Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2015, 11:02 PM   #57

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I too have had issues with helping the less fortunate.

I was on the board of a society dedicated to feeding the less fortunate and in the end had to quietly walk away from that life as I found it an enabling experience for people wanting to be enabled. There were a few truly in need but the vast majority were there to get whatever they could for free and had no will to ever attempt to get a job and get off the system.

I have chosen to just walk away from enabling adults and am now working with a society that provides a safe place for children and young adults to gather to learn new skills.

I have also been know to be enticed to assist the downtrodden we have met along the RV trail. I have no mean skill that determines who is and who isn't truly needy but I do once in a while succumb to my heart and just do something for someone.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2015, 12:08 AM   #58

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I no longer give ANY money to ANY panhandler.

When I was in grade school, I went on a several state vacation with my grandparents to visit family. I remember when we were in New Mexico, there was an Old Indian sitting on a bench against a building and as we walked by, he held out his hand asking for change. I gave him a dollar. I felt that I did a good deed.

When I got to driving age, I felt good handing out change to ANY panhandler.

I don't remember how long after, when I learned that some panhandlers are just looking to get drunk or drugged with the money they are given, but, this had rubbed me the wrong way, to the point that I just give money anymore, to my family or friends in need.

A couple of years ago, going home after camping, we stopped at a big shopping center that had a McDonald's in a nice community. As we walked towards the McDonald's, a young, clean-cut couple in there 20's approached with a gas can. I, REALLY, thought they needed gas. I poured the rest of gas(maybe 2 gallons) out of my fishing boat gas container into there nice Chevy Tahoe. They said they REALLY appreciated it. As we got to the door of the McDonald's, a lady told us for the past 20 minutes while she was having a McDonald's meal that this couple had been pocketing a lot of donations from folks.

That's my experience with panhandlers.

Now if someone is walking on the freeway away from their vehicle with a gas can in their hand, I'll stop and help.

Rich

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:12 AM   #59

We provided help back in the day to roadside folks but no more ever...

There have been times where old folks or young woman used as bait to get someone to stop...sometimes with roadside tire flat for bonus.

Only to carjack the help.

With everyone having cell phones or almost everyone having cell phones they can call for help.

Most insurance (everyone required to have insurance) includes roadside assistance and if it is a safety issue you can call 911 in passing only to be made aware they already are aware.

The highway patrol will swing by the disabled vehicle and provide roadblock so they can fix their flat or assist with towing etc...That is where our tax dollars go and it is their responsibility to provide that service.

It is a sad state of affairs but those who really need the help usually are driving enough to seek it where it is provided and those working the streets are just looking for easy money for their "habits"
Old 12-31-2015, 01:54 PM   #60

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometimes and maybe many, truly out of luck persons fall between the cracks. Those that are attempting to work and don't make enough even for the basics of life seem many times to get little or no help. Those that are just praying on the sympathy of others I suspect are mostly the ones you see at intersections begging. They also seemed well versed in the "system" that allows them that luxury. The ones I feel sorry for are generally the pets that are used as a draw for us animal lovers. Sometimes, generally in summer, carry a couple of bottles of water and maybe a dog treat to give them. As to trying to tell who is truly in need, maybe some of us are better at judging them than others. Know that more times than not, if I have given to someone "out of gas", if I return to that same spot in a day or two have more times than not found them there with the same sign and line. Guess I'm not real good at judging need.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:53 PM   #61

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
We provided help back in the day to roadside folks but no more ever...

There have been times where old folks or young woman used as bait to get someone to stop...sometimes with roadside tire flat for bonus.

Only to carjack the help.
We had passed a car on the side of the freeway. Another half-mile, there was a guy walking with a gas can in his hand. He would of had another 2 miles to reach the next exit. We stopped and gave him a ride to the exit. He was very grateful.

Another time, I stopped at a rest stop in the mountains. There was a car parked all by itself away from the normal parking spots, with the hood up and the radiator steaming big time. The young man sitting in the driver's seat with his head hung low, looking sad. After taking care of my business, I walked over and asked him how far was he going. He said the town 10 miles further. The next gas station from the rest stop was 5 miles. I asked him if he wanted a 5 mile ride to the gas station, or, to the 10 exit. He said the 10 mile ride. He was very thankful.

I just evaluate by observing the circumstance, the distance from nearest services, and the person needing help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
It is a sad state of affairs but those who really need the help usually are driving enough to seek it where it is provided and those working the streets are just looking for easy money for their "habits"
I, totally, agree with your statement here, Tony.

Happy New Year, and, Safe Travels to everyone,

Rich

Old 01-01-2016, 02:41 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by r___r View Post
We had passed a car on the side of the freeway. Another half-mile, there was a guy walking with a gas can in his hand. He would of had another 2 miles to reach the next exit. We stopped and gave him a ride to the exit. He was very grateful.

Another time, I stopped at a rest stop in the mountains. There was a car parked all by itself away from the normal parking spots, with the hood up and the radiator steaming big time. The young man sitting in the driver's seat with his head hung low, looking sad. After taking care of my business, I walked over and asked him how far was he going. He said the town 10 miles further. The next gas station from the rest stop was 5 miles. I asked him if he wanted a 5 mile ride to the gas station, or, to the 10 exit. He said the 10 mile ride. He was very thankful.

I just evaluate by observing the circumstance, the distance from nearest services, and the person needing help.

I, totally, agree with your statement here, Tony.

Happy New Year, and, Safe Travels to everyone,

Rich
Your offering to help people who look like they need it. I'm sure many of us have and will do the same.

That is very different then being approached by someone with a, sometimes incredible, hard luck story.

I had a guy begging for gas money at a rest stop. He had a full pack of cigarettes in his pocket. I latter saw him sitting in his van, ideling with the air on.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:45 PM   #63

For those who tell panhandlers to get a job, they do have a job--panhandling.

Since they keep at it, you have to assume there's a net gain for the enterprise, and if so, that means they're providing a service that people want and are willing to pay for. Sounds like a job to me, and perhaps even a successful business.

Is it the deception that bothers you? That you resent people tricking you to get something? Well, that happens in business all the time, from outright lies, through photoshopping models, down to puffery in advertising.

With rampant capitalism, you let the market sort it out. And it sounds like the market has spoken because people voluntarily give strangers money on the street, presumably because they want to. That should be their right.

My personal resentment is that the professional panhandlers are competing with people I believe don't have any other choice, and they're taking their market share. Maybe they're smarter, maybe they have more mental acuity because they're not schizophrenic--who knows?

But isn't that the American way--if you're better at it, then you reap the rewards? Maybe we should be applauding their ability to find a market niche and support themselves in the way they want to, and give people the opportunity to feel better by paying for their services.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #64

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Your offering to help people who look like they need it. I'm sure many of us have and will do the same.

That is very different then being approached by someone with a, sometimes incredible, hard luck story.
Your right...my apologies for going off on a tangent.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:24 PM   #65

This is the program I use. I think this should be instituted everywhere.

Token Program | Save On Meats
Old 01-06-2016, 03:53 PM   #66

I give at church... so I usually don't give to panhandlers...

However, I try to donate whatever change I have in my pocket to the Salvation Army during Christmas and the MDA Boots around Labor Day..

Usually... when approached/asked by a panhandler... I tell them I have three panhandlers at home who consume all my money (15, 14 & 13 yr old's) !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #67
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Thirty five years as a cop, I saw a lot of people that needed help and we were often able to help them. Those panhandling are not in that group. They are there because it's easier to beg for money than to work for it.

I ignore all who ask, those who become more aggressive are told to "step away", they never challenge me past that. With that said, I occasionally see someone who needs help, but isn't begging, so I will help out and approach them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:03 PM   #68

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
I tell them I have three panhandlers at home who consume all my money (15, 14 & 13 yr old's) !!
As a very proud father of five (32, 31, 25, 12, 9) I wholeheartedly concur! Wait until the grandkids appear. I have one, age 6, and another due in two weeks. They can suck your ice cream fund dry before you know what happened

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead86 View Post
If they are smoking or wearing high dollar tennis shoes is a sign that they don't need my money.
Agree, look at their shoes!!!! That's a good tell tail!!!
Old 01-09-2016, 07:02 PM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dutch Star Don,

Thank you for your explanation. It breaks it down in a way I can NOT feel guilty about. I help in several different ways during the year but the panhandlers really bother me because of the way they approach you.

We have worked hard for what we have and giving it away I choose to try to get it to those who really need it. I guess I just have to do my best at figuring that out.

Thank you all for your insights, Lynne

beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote