Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 07:02 AM   #71

I shouldn't have been surprised that this post has reached 5 pages. The panhandling is so widespread it probably will touch everyone eventually. I've reached the point that I only give money to a couple military charities, the girl scouts when they're selling cookies, and the Salvation Army red kettles during the holidays. Panhandlers, I have no time for.

Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #72

I was unloading a bunch of floor tile once.This gentleman came up and asked for a handout.I told him gladly if he helped me take the tile to the third floor.He declined so I explained to him that was how I get money, work for it so he should do the same.

Old 01-10-2016, 12:15 PM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
When the DW and I go to walmart there's always one on the corner with his dog,I couldn't stand it,just keep going past him.So when we left walmart I stopped at the corner and gave him a can of dog food.The poor dog cant help it.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:44 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5711 View Post
When the DW and I go to walmart there's always one on the corner with his dog,I couldn't stand it,just keep going past him.So when we left walmart I stopped at the corner and gave him a can of dog food.The poor dog cant help it.

When they have a healthy dog, a big mac in one hand, a cigarette in the other and a slurpie nearby, I don't see the "need"

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:58 AM   #75

Reported in Fresno Bee yesterday an aggressive repeat arrested fine fellow with $1800.00 in his pocket.

Guy is aggressive running into traffic...
Old 01-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #76

The vast majority of replies relate to the utmost reason to keep your doors locked and windows closed while in your vehicle. You just never know who will do what.
40-50 years ago I almost never passed by a hitch-hiker, I never stop now.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:46 PM   #77

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
arrested fine fellow with $1800.00 in his pocket.
Saw this on the news this morning with the dollars(multi-denominations) spread out, from the officers emptying his pockets.

r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:26 AM   #78

Just got hit up yesterday while filling my car. A guy rode up on a pretty expensive bicycle wearing what looked like a North Face jacket and Nike's that I can't even afford. I looked at him and laughed, and he just rode over to the next row of pumps.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:31 AM   #79

I was approached by one yesterday in a Costco parking lot. He pointed to a car and said his water pump just went out and the car was leaking water all over the place; and it was. He called Advance Auto and they said a new pump was $89 and all he had was $42, could I help? So me being me, I engaged him in conversation and asked where he was going. He said his sister was gravely ill and he was rushing to see her one last time.

I told him I would call the police for him and they had monies donated from local churches to use for the truly needy. He said he would call them himself and left. A few minutes later I saw him pouring water from a gallon container inside the engine compartment allowing it to leak all over the ground and then he approached another Costco customer in the parking lot.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:12 AM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I appreciate all the responses that have been given. I struggle somewhat when people ask me for money outright.

With some of the stories here and understanding there might be some innocents and truly needy people here, I figure it is just best to stay with the organizations I give to now and say no to others.
beamisl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:53 PM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Lynne, Denise and I were hit pretty hard at a truck stop along I-5 in Oregon. Two or three women with children holding signs saying "Family trying to make ends meet" and they were standing in front of the washroom near the exit. We had parked up at the entrance end and were walking the pups. When we got about 100 yards from the motorhome a kerfuffle started up near these women and everyone migrated down to see what was happening and such.

When we got back into the motorhome and got underway I noticed the fuel gauge was appreciably lower and said to Denise that for some reason we were getting lousy gas mileage and I had better select fuel stops with more diligence. Anyway we had to stop for fuel about a hundred miles sooner than planned and when we got to the pumps the attendant asked me where our gas cap was as it wasn't on the vehicle.

Better believe I now have a spiffy new locking gas cap and the mileage is again up near the ten per.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #82

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Possum, do fuel stations still operate the pumps for you in Canada?
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:02 AM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
30-40 years ago I would not hesitate to pickup a hitchhiker needing a ride, give money to someone on the street that definitely looked like they needed it badly or bought a meal for someone genuinely who needed it. I have even gone into a grocery store with a person to purchase them food for their backpack. I even remember giving someone money to buy a bus ticket that really needed it to get home, yeah right.

I remember walking down a street in Greenwich Village of NYC after having dinner with a bag that had leftovers. A panhandler was looking for a handout and I offered the food to them. They turned it down because they wanted money to buy alcohol or drugs.

Now that many years have passed I have stopped doing all of that because of what society has turned in to since back then.

Nowadays I don't give any of them eye contact and choose to ignore their presence. If someone is bold enough to approach my car I usually tell them to get a real job like I had for 46 years.

Sorry to say but after getting scammed so many times by panhandlers in the past, charity in my household now starts at home first. Then after I die if there is anything left, my wife and kids will split the balance.

Sad but true!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-21-2016, 09:52 AM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
Possum, do fuel stations still operate the pumps for you in Canada?
Nope 90% self serve. This happened in Oregon where they all are (at least the ones we stopped at) employee pumped. When I put fuel in my Motorhome I always place the cap on the drivers seat so that I don't leave the pumps with it off. Hard lump to sit on and drive.