RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2019, 07:03 AM   #1

Parenting 101

I know, normally when we read a post on the forum about parenting it usually is about the Rug Rats running wild and disturbing us more genteel folk. But this is not about that. It is about a heartwarming incident I witnessed the other day.

Sunday morning is a time when a lot of weekend campers start the preparations to leave the campground and head back home. My next door camping neighbor was no exception. A 30ish woman came out of her travel trailer followed by her 9+- year old son and started the process. Water hose, sewer hose, electric line, jack stands etc. Except she was showing him how it was done and allowing him to do parts of the process. Then it came time for backing the pickup to the trailer ball coupler. I was impressed! That 9-year-old lad stood perpendicular to the hitch area, and safely about 4 feet away right where his mother could see him in her mirrors. He held his hand up and waved his mother back very slowly. Every once in a while, he would raise his fist and she would stop. He would dart in between the truck and TT to measure the distance between the ball and coupler, then step back into his spot. He held up his hands indicating how much further she had to go. He then waved her back. Not a word was spoken. Once he was satisfied, he held up a fist and a thumbs up. She got out of the truck and both of them looked over the situation. I could tell that although the ball was back far enough, it was not centered properly. His mother quietly explained to the son how he needed to look at the ball and not only how far she needed to come back, but if she needed to be left or right. He nodded and he got into his safe position. She pulled forward and then started to back again. He must have stopped her 10 times to dart in and check the position. But in the end, he got her perfectly positioned. Then she started to show him about the pigtail cord, safety chains and weight distribution bars.

I figured it was a good time to take Hershey for a walk and we mosey over to congratulate her and her son. She explained her husband was in the service overseas, and her son was stepping into her husband’s shoes and helping her. I shook her sons’ hand and mentioned how safely he performed his duties, and the mother said “yes, we are all about safety, right son?”

They drove off together and I knew her son would fondly remember this day for the rest of his life.

Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 07:23 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for this, maybe there is hope for the next generation.

From my observations this is the exception and not the norm as most you children are not provided this type of parenting.

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Great story, terrific mom and a son who will grow up to be a wonderful man. It's sad that too many young parents today think their work is done when the kids are out of diapers.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:33 AM   #4

Nice to hear a story like that! Thanks for sharing.
Oldmso54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #5

Our entire lives we have volunteered with children organizations from 25 years with the Girl Scouts, to FFA, FHA, 4H and several church youth groups. I can say the kids we have been exposed to have been topnotch. We run into "our girls" from Girl Scout days from time to time and they are all successful in their own rights from home maker to doctors. Now it wasn't all roses and we have run into parents who only sent their kids to organizations just to get rid of them for a while, but they were the exceptions. In fact we had to call the county sheriff once when the one girl was never picked up. He told us the failed pickup was because her parents were in the pokey sobering up. We immediately volunteered to keep her for the night with our daughters kind of like a sleepover. We sent her to school the next day in our girls clothing that was cleaner than what she had been wearing and a note explaining why she did not have her books with her.

Maybe I just look for the good in people, but at campgrounds we visit, I see a lot of good parenting. Early this spring a child had a table set up next to the campground road selling his paintings, and things he made. He said his dad told him he could use the money for the baseball glove we wanted. We bought several things.

The good is out there, but sometimes we have to look for it because the bad is more "in your face", and the good is muted.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:22 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I would love to have watched that. Excellent
Old 07-20-2019, 10:38 PM   #7

Wonderful story. Camping makes great memories and great families.
wjohnson913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:08 AM   #8

That’s a great story. I am afraid for the next generation when I see who is raising them. I always encourage any responsible, taxpaying, married couples to have children. Many of them are choosing to be childless, while the irresponsible, dysfunctional class procreates freely.

My kids are stricter, than I ever was with my grandkids. #4 is 2 days old. I’m here at my daughter’s house helping out with my DW.

Service families sacrifice a lot. I just met a Gold Star family whose 21 year old Marine was killed in Afghanistan in 2012. God Bless them.

Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote