Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2005, 08:33 AM   #1

Well it seems as though we're going to have to have our picture taken for a passport if we plan to visit Canada or Mexico begining NLT
Jan 2008 according to my latest internet news.
I personaly think its a good idea over due. Just in case I get use to the new gas prices, We're hoping to go to ole Mexico sometimes soon with the MH. Been to Canada several times, but would love to return. Had a good time. s/Toby
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2005, 08:33 AM   #2

Well it seems as though we're going to have to have our picture taken for a passport if we plan to visit Canada or Mexico begining NLT
Jan 2008 according to my latest internet news.
I personaly think its a good idea over due. Just in case I get use to the new gas prices, We're hoping to go to ole Mexico sometimes soon with the MH. Been to Canada several times, but would love to return. Had a good time. s/Toby
Old 04-05-2005, 10:36 AM   #3

I thought I would add that the cost for a new passport is only $97, plus 2 pics. Go to www.travel.state.gov for details. s/Toby
Old 04-06-2005, 08:07 AM   #4

Yes we in Canada now need to have Passports in order to enter the USA, its a requirement that is long overdue.Its a changed world since 911.

Phil
Old 04-10-2005, 07:21 AM   #5

Ah yes, another Government solution. Remember the Gun Registry in Canada...and how many criminals have registered their guns so the crime is easily solved...YA Right! If you even had the slightest idea of how many fake passports are out there. Do you really think Osamah is going to show up at Airport
X or Border crossing X with a passport.
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:57 PM   #6

We also agree that the passport thing is long overdue. One might get away with a fake passport at some locations but not hardly at a Canadian or US border crossing. You can bet that each and every one (passport) will be scanned with its barcode ...that will bring up the fakes and other quirks that might be thereon. Passports will be far better way rather than that of checking drivers licenses and the many different birth certificates ...that is where the fakes would be easy. Yes, we are indeed for the new passport law.

Rich & Zara ...frequent visitors to Canada

Our RV trip to Alaska & Canada
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 05:27 AM   #7

I agree with your opinion on the gun registry Erich it was a bungle from the start, but passports create a level field when it comes to security world wide.
Its sad that our relationship with the US has to change but I personally dont mind getting a passport as long as its respected at the border crossings, and the same passport requirement should hold true for people entering Canada.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:19 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilnJune:
-snip-
Its sad that our relationship with the US has to change but I personally dont mind getting a passport as long as its respected at the border crossings, and the same passport requirement should hold true for people entering Canada. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
PhilnJune, Are you saying the Canadian relationship with the USA has to change? This new law should not and will not change feelings towards our warm and kind neighbors to the north. Maybe you used the wrong word when you said 'relationship'?

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 06:30 AM   #9

Relationship meaning on a political footing, the warmth we all feel for each other will never change I hope.

Phil
Old 04-28-2005, 04:52 AM   #10

I tend to agree with Phil! The Canada/U.S. border was to all intent and purpose, and subject to certain "profiling guidelines" an open border. For near fifty years of back and forth crossing, I cannot recall an incident where it took more than a minute or less to "process" us through. The Guard sized us up, asked a few questions from each of us and sent us on our way.

I think Phil id deploring the end of this era of openness. That's not even taking into account the rather silly commercial lobbies that prohibit certain goods carried by individuals from entering our respective countries!

All that said, still crossed in December with my driver's license photo ID and nothing requested from the wife. Guard was more interested in the beef content in my dog food but relented when I pointed out the bag clearly said "Made in USA"

We need better ID's to speed up border crossings by genuine honest folks, I just happen to feel that using 200 year old ID system such as passports is not the way to go.
The objection by our Canadian Government to implementing a sure fire high tech ID system to curb rampant fraud against our Helth Programs, Worker's Comp, Welfare and Employment Insurance is of all thing "COST"!

The system would pay for itself in no time with the savings effected, but there is a strong lobby from folks with vested interests in not being accuratly identifiable that seems to carry a lot of weight, not to mention the bleeding hearts crying invasion of privacy?

Ahhh, the good old days! Guess the're gone for good.

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote