Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17
Passport Questions

I haven't been out of the country since prior to 9/11...and even then, I only went to Mexico. So, bear with me.

My husband has orders to AK, so we'll be driving through Canada. I know we need passports (haven't started that process yet- yikes!!) but do we need visas? What is a visa for, anyway?

I am planning our route and Googled the Brewery Hill Info Center in Lethbridge. They say, "get your passport stamped." I'm going to assume they mean a park passport of some sort? Can you tell me about this?

I tried Google, but I'm just as confused as when I started. So, could the informed please enlighten me? Thanks!

maconswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Senior Member
PyrateSilly's Avatar
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,200
Passports to travel across lines can (and usually do) take a while to process unless you want to pay extra to have them done faster. They are good for 10 years thou. And if you do have an expired one and it is less than 5 yrs from the expiration date you should be able to not have to pay for a completly new one.
Check out Passports for the most upto date information on them. Try to get them ASAP. It will be one thing off your list when you do get them then and they will be done for 10 yrs.

The US National Park system does have a "passport book" but that has nothing to do with traveling across the borders. ( eParks.com: Home - eParks - Where your purchase supports America's National Parks. for more info with that). Canada may have a similar thing. It is mostly for learning and keeping track of where you went or when you went.

Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 221
You'll need a US passport to re-enter the US from any country. Technically, Canada does not require a US passport to *enter* Canada. HOWEVER, Canada requires that you have a passport from your country as proof that you can *exit* Canada and "go home" without any problems. So, in essence, you'll need a US passport -- not a visa -- to exit and re-enter the US via Canada.

You won't get your passport stamped when crossing the border into Canada. Many travelers and tourists want the passport stamped anyway as proof of their travels. That Brewery you mentioned is one of many places that will unofficially stamp your passport so you can show your friends and family that yes, you were once in Canada.
[B]BichonLover is a 100% California gal, driving a vintage Fleetwood in SoCal.
BichonLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Senior Member
1ciderdog's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,365
I worked for US Immigration over 30 years. Simply stated a passport is a document your home country provides you that shows/tells other countries your home country will accept you back. A visa is a document that a foreign country gives you that allows you to enter that foreign country. Prior to 9/11 many countries waived passport and visa requirements for US citizens. After the US tightened up its visa & passport requirements many other countries did the same. Personally, I'd suggest you get a US passport and also contact the Canada authorities to confirm you do not need a visa to enter or pass through Canada. That should/would resolve your travel passport & visa questions. When we visited Cnada two years ago they asked for our passports - visa were not required.
Safe Travels
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 2015 RAM Limited 4X4
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northwestern Montana
Posts: 3,155
You can also get a Passport Card, good for traveling in Canada, Mexico and a few other places. They cost less than a full Passport, but take the same amount of time and documentation to acquire. I live in a bordering state to Canada, and use mine to travel there quite often.
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Registered User
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cherry Creek, BC Canada
Posts: 7,650
You do not need a Visa to visit Canada if you have a legit American passport.


Safety and Security - Admissibility

The passport thing you discovered is a promotion item that parks and other places have here in the Great White North. If you are planning to be in Lethbridge I am assuming you are planning to hut Glacier National park? If you are treat yourself to some equally great scenery just north of the border at Waterton Lakes national Park of Canada. We have family who visit there annually because of the scenic beauty of the area.

I hope your family enjoys their visit to our country as it is pretty spectacular.

Safe travels and if you have any unanswered questions PM me your or your hubbies phone number and I will call to see if I can assist you in any way.

Lets say I'm offering a pay back to a kind USA armed forces couple in the USA who greatly assisted a Canadian teen in trouble way long time ago in the deep south.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
New Horizons Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 203
One doesn't need a visa to enter Canada.

You should start immediately obtaining a passport. You will need a certified copy of your birth certificate and a passport photo. Be sure your birth certificate is acceptable to the passport people.

My wife was born in California and we had a great deal of delay in obtaining her birth certificate. It took about 4 months to obtain one.

Good Luck.

Also, one can fly to and from AK with out a passport. Since one doesn't leave the US. You can do the same if you take the Alaska Marine Highway from Bellingham, WA. as long as you don't stop anywhere in Canada.

If I were traveling by just a car, I would use the ferry. It is a great trip with naturalists providing lectures on Alaska sites and wildlife. You'll also save yourself 4 or 5 thousand miles of driving and see some wondrous things.
Happy trails,
The Sundowners:
Jane and Chauncey, Plus the Cats: Backslash, EB, Stripes
chaunclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Senior Member
jzick's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,193
Might want to hurry with the passport application. Costs are rising News from The Associated Press
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 186
The Post Office (USPS) is the easiest place to get your passport, and they will take the required pictures (for a fee of course). Just stop by make an appointment and be sure to take your Birth Certificate with you when you go. They do all the paper work and send it off.
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
Senior Member
Cat320's Avatar
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,973
Obviously, since your husband "has orders," he is in the military. Therefore Uncle Sam will take care of all your travel requirements...better get busy, it might take a while.

Also, be glad you are going to a place where you "need" a passport. Back in the late 60s and early 70s, the Army sent me places that were overseas, but did not require a passport.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
Senior Member
gray ghost's Avatar
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Harper, Texas
Posts: 274
Definitely have your husband check with the folks on base about travel requirements. I am not sure if it still applies but prior to 9/11 US military on official orders didn't need passports to go to NATO countries. Dependents did IIRC. If you are unable to get a passport in time I have been told that you can catch a ferry in Washington that goes straight to Alaska.
Cliff Fargason
US Army (ret)
2012 Fleetwood Bounder
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
Senior Member
4Knights's Avatar
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,796
Ditto on checking the post transportation office. Since he is on orders they will process your passports free of charge.

Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forester fixup by newbie with questions Foresterfun Vintage RV's 1 12-22-2011 04:54 PM
Camp Club merging w/ Passport America EDALLSAILS iRV2.com General Discussion 3 12-03-2011 06:02 PM
Questions....lots of questions..... C Johnson Class C Motorhome Discussions 20 11-02-2010 07:00 AM
Questions, questions! Hope you can help? Born2RV Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 5 08-31-2009 05:53 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.