Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #15

In my experience, those that complain about others driving habits usually have a problem of their own.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Couldn't agree with you more Ed
Old 03-04-2009, 08:48 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
No problem with my driving....I just do not want to drive 10+ over the limit, tailgate or run red lights and I actually come to a full stop for a stop sign and actually keep my blinker fluid full so that I will have plenty to use. I must use 15 or 20 gallons of blinker fluid a year.

No tickets and two minor accidents where a "young woman" ran a stop sign (both cases).

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
In my experience, those that complain about others driving habits usually have a problem of their own.
Perhaps. I doubt if any of us are perfect drivers. I guess it comes down to whether we can "work and play well with others" on the highways. I measure that by the ability to avoid accidents and citations. I'd wholeheartedly agree that not enough citations are written. Perhaps I should even be the recipient of some of those unwritten ones.

Like Ken, I keep my blinker fluid full, run through a lot of it and try to obey the traffic regulations as best that I understand them. Probably more important, I concentrate on my driving when I'm behind the wheel. That is more than I can say for the types of drivers who have been described in this thread.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #19

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
the last handful of posts have all shown the kind of easy going attitude that probably also makes those posters good easy going drivers,
i only gripe about gripers which i suppose might make me a griper too?
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Yup, in California when you turn on your turn signal in a motor home, everyone reads that not as, "please let me over", but "oh $#@!, I better hurry up and get in front of this big slow #$#!% before I get stuck behind it!" It can be VERY frustrating. There are certainly an abundance of idiots in this world.
I'm one of those idiots. A turn signal is just that, it signals your intention to change lanes or to turn. It is not a tool to clear traffic or for you to make an unsafe lane change. You still must have the room for the lane change or to make the turn safely and you must adjust your speed or wait for a suitable window to open up then use your signal to show your intentions.

Turning on a turn signal and then turning forcing cars off the road or into each other is not a good idea. A turn signal is not meant to empower.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:09 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not sure, I think in a motorhome, the turn signal is also a warning. I have had several ocassions when people want to keep that one extra car length and just will not let you over. They will let a car over, but not the motorhomes. After about 20 cars of rude people pass without letting me over. I let er rip.

Maybe not the brightest thing in the world to do, but I'm much bigger and have more insurance. They always stop or run off the road. Either way, it works for me.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Seems like you spend 80% of your time driving in defense of the other drivers and only 20% of your time driving for yourself.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Far from being a perfect driver but can show 45+ years with 2-3 minor tickets (not speeding) years ago and about 800,000 miles.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:23 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well as far as tailgaters I really miss the short distance it use to be getting from the hard surface road to the gravel shoulder. It was the fastest way in the world to get a tailgater off your bumper. Just slow down and carefully ease over on to the gravel and see how fast they drop back and stay there. That was in the car wouldn’t try it with anything else. It’s all over the country I told my better half the other day. I don't know why they just don't take down all the signs and leave it at that. Most people don't pay attention to them anyway. We have a four way red flashing lite for two state highways down at the corner. You can spend the day down there sitting off to the side watching the fools navigate that corner. I've seen as many as three vehicles stopped in the center looking at each other (plus a few other motions) because they couldn't figure out who was there first.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:10 AM   #25

I agree with the Florida bad drivers.Just last week I got on the thruway and everyone was going the wrong way.Good thing I was on my cell phone to tell someone what was going on.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:56 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
A few years go while in Forida I had my Niece in the car, as I put my signal on to give the driver in the lane that I want to move to some notice, my Niece started to get very upset and said, "you are going to get yourself killed by by doing that." Doing what I asked, by using your turn signal was her rely.
I guess the weird look on my face asked the question as she replied that in Florida it tells the person behind you to hurry up and do not let that car get in front of you and if one gets in than another, another and pretty soon everyone in Florida will be in front of them and if that happens you should have just stayed home.
When I said I always use my turn signal [I remember when my turn signal was my arm out the open window] and to this her answer was if you use it count to 3 and than just change lanes, they will not hit you.
I still use the signal and wait till I can change lanes.
She moved back to NJ and told us a couple of months ago it really is nice to put your turn signal on and people let you in.
I really think COMMON SENSE did die in some areas of the Country.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:12 AM   #27

Read & Learn - Where in NJ does your neice live?Being unfortunate to be a resident of NJ, I myself have not seen much courteous behavior on the roads, including the driving habits of blue-haired ladies driving Buick LeSabres (the vehicle of choice).

Having been rear-ended twice while stopped at a red light I am absolutely paranoid about tail-gaters. After 7 epidural injections, physical therapy, accupunture & chiropractic, my life will never be the same.

It's scary out there on the roads!
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:14 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by bldrbob:
I agree with the Florida bad drivers.Just last week I got on the thruway and everyone was going the wrong way.Good thing I was on my cell phone to tell someone what was going on.
BOB
Bob, this was a hoot. I wonder how many really read close enough to get the joke?
Ken