Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #43

I have one that will blow your mind---Traveling down a back road I came across a motorcycle going about 15 MPH; as soon as there was a safe place to pass; I passed ----what happenen next----this joker passed me; (remember I'm driveing a 34 foot motorhome pulling a toad). and he slowed down again and gave me the salute, then proceeded to slow down to about 5 MPH; If it wasn't for my wife screaming at me I think I woud have run over this joker and just kept going.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #44

Actually it is a matter of age and education with the younger drivers. And lets not forget, today's law enforcement are basic wimps. Your taxes pay them for what? As for the tailgater,....I like my bumper sticker. "If I stop suddenly can you,..or will you make me very wealthy?"
Old 03-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Kirby View Post
I like my bumper sticker. "If I stop suddenly can you,..or will you make me very wealthy?"
Whoa! I like that bumper sticker a lot!
CARVAL Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #46

another one I saw was-------go ahead hit me I need the money
Old 03-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #47

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Owl View Post
I have been in Florda since November 2008. I have always found SOME drivers to be VERy poor in my previous trips here. This winter however, it seems to have become much worse.
Much clipped

I have seen a trend toward this, Over the years I've been driving (a bit over 40) I've seen courtesy, such as using turn signals, and moving over when there is a vehicle on the freeway approach ramp, go way down. And "ME ME ME" type driving where I've got to get there first now matter what, Total disregard for speed limits, Driving with head up, ...er... Exhaust pipe (Think about it, but don't have anything in your mouth but what it came with when you do). Ignoring Red lights and stop signs. That's all on the increase

There are several reasons I see for this.. One is police layoffs, they want fewer and fewer police officers to enforce more and more laws and square millage (or people per square mile)

Another is child abuse laws.. I mean in the old days if you mouthed of and acted like a smart... Ur... Posterior Well, Your posterior .. SMARTED!

Today if Daddy uses that method of showing you the error of your ways the next thing he knows is the name of his arresting officer.

These are just a few of the issues. By no means the whole picture, but the general loss of respect for others is the real issue.

Let me ask you.. one of two questions:

If you are a man: When was the last time you held the door for your wife, Held her coat or held her chair?

IF you are a woman: Read the above question backwards, When was the last time your man held a door, your coat, your chair?

In the old days.. This was common.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #48

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Another is child abuse laws.. I mean in the old days if you mouthed of and acted like a smart... Ur... Posterior Well, Your posterior .. SMARTED!
Good point, John. My posterior smarted more than once. We've come along way now, however. Today, you cannot discipline a child without getting arrested but grown up truants can beat the stuffing out of their girl friends, even in a high profile situation, and get away with it. I guess that's much better for society

I wonder how much of the Florida (and other State) driving problem is really malicious, driven by a ME attitude and how much of it can be attributed to inattention. The variety of things that especially younger drivers are willing to try behind the wheel is mind boggling. I guess I'm just to dumb to be able to text while I drive.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #49

useing cell phones while driving has been beat to death-----but man I hate to see someone driveing useing a cell phone.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #50
ET

I believe it's a proven fact that a person driving a vehicle forgets where the gas pedal is located once his or her cell phone is activated!
Old 03-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #51

Did you know that Cadillacs either don't come with turn signals, or the right one is on permanently?

On the Fairfax County Parkway, people have no concept that the left lane is for passing. They'll get in the left lane and slowly pace traffic in the right lane, ignoring the backup of traffic behind them.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #52

Not sure if it qualifies as pathetic but my son called from CT. He just saw a Jaguar diven by a little old lady getting on I 95.She must have just gassed up cause the hose was still in the filler.It was flopping around and sending sparks off the pavement.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:02 AM   #53

1st read my reply #27 to this thread --

Well, it happened again yesterday. I must be a magnet for tailgaters. I was rear-ended again by a little old lady who I suppose was rubbernecking an accident in the opposing lanes of the highway when she slammed into the rear of my car.

She did not stop but continued on driving away - fleeing the scene - with her front bumper hanging down & her hood crumpled. I was able to get her license # and vehicle make before calling police & making an accident report. Will report accident to insurance co. first thing Mon. morning.

Meanwhile, having a bad neck day!! This will do nothing to cure my paranoia about tailgaters. Jodann
jodann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:51 AM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert h View Post
I have one that will blow your mind---Traveling down a back road I came across a motorcycle going about 15 MPH; as soon as there was a safe place to pass; I passed ----what happenen next----this joker passed me; (remember I'm driveing a 34 foot motorhome pulling a toad). and he slowed down again and gave me the salute, then proceeded to slow down to about 5 MPH; If it wasn't for my wife screaming at me I think I woud have run over this joker and just kept going.
Sounds to me like a case of "suicide by motorhome". It was like he was taunting you to hit him, much like when someone points a gun at a policeman and begs to be shot! Mental illness must be at epidemic levels nowadays.
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:02 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Unfortunately some times it is necessary to be aggresive when changing langes when sharing the road with idiots especially when you are driving a large vehicle.

You can signal your lane change and wait till the sun burns out to move over but after a while people think you have forgotten to turn your signal off and ignore you.

Oh my favourite driver is the one merging on to the interstate behind me who then pulls out to pass me while im still on the merge lane. This person always ends up hitting his brakes hard and staying behind me.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #56

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've reported this incident before but it may be worthy of repeating. We were driving the RV and toad toward a split in the road. Two lanes exiting right and three lanes continuing. We are in the inner of the two right lanes. I'm already past the point of no return, well past the paved part of the splint when a Nissan pickup cuts from the 3 lanes, across the unpaved area to my left and tries to cut in in front of me. I was accelerating at the time and had to really get on the binders to miss him.

What he didn't know was that our air horns are mounted behind the grill, not on top of the cab. When he cut in front of us, the horns were just about level with his ears through an open passenger side window. Of course, I pinned the horn button for a couple of seconds as I jammed on the brakes and he jerked the wheel of the pickup. DW said that there was an OTR driver in the other lane who was laughing at the whole thing. I suspect Mr. Nissan driver pulled in at the next exit to change his shorts. Hopefully, he'll think twice the next time before pulling a stunt like that.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote