Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin

Would make sense if you could borrow at 2% and put it somewhere that makes 5%.
Well ........the United States of America borrows (10yr fixed) money at around 2%.....If you're borrowing (10yr fixed) at 2%....who are you....Ben Bernanke?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #128

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Well ........the United States of America borrows (10yr fixed) money at around 2%.....If you're borrowing (10yr fixed) at 2%....who are you....Ben Bernanke?
My coach is financed at 2%, simple interest. It made more sense to leave my money in the bank than pay cash for it, and my last name is not Bernanke.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin

My coach is financed at 2%, simple interest. It made more sense to leave my money in the bank than pay cash for it, and my last name is not Bernanke.
Point made....makes sense.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #130

The only debt I have is my MH, house, cars, credit cards, etc. all have a zero balance. Children all grown and college has long since been paid. I could of paid cash but I do get a good return on my investments that exceed the interest rate on my MH loan. At some point I may pay it off after I fully retire but for now I will use someone elses money.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #131

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234

If your Bank offered you a 10yr "fixed" return (federally guaranteed & insured) of 6-7%...... How many of you would put SOME of your money in this......or would turn your back on this offer and prefer to have ALL your money invested in the markets?
If the fed rate for a 10 yr bond was 4.5 or higher, I would be willing to put 5 years of expenses in something like that. But without that kind of support, a bank offering that would be in trouble, and so would the US government, similar to Spain right now.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance Chick View Post
We pay cash for everything. I do not want to be in debt. Life has a different feeling for me when I owe no one. We are fans of Dave Ramsey who says, "The borrower is slave to the lender." I know there are those of you out there who manage your debt fine and probably won't get into financial trouble, but I just breathe easier knowing what I have I own. What we have may not be the best or most expensive, but it's ours.
WOW! Less than a week and look at all the answers! Have just started reading, but had to respond to the above poster ...

LOL! Dance Chick - Don't know who Dave Ramsey is ... but the quote, a good one ... is from the BIBLE!

Not that the Bible is against borrowing, just to use wisdom in your finances - it also says a good businessman lends his money at interest...

Now let me go back to reading the thread!

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Why? Your "6.5%" return in your portfolio is taxable (sans IRA). Probably means a true return of around 4% net (but how much do you pay the money manager?). Your camper's interest rate of 4.5% is paid with after tax dollars. That means if you have a $1,000/month payment, you had to make $1,400 or so before tax... That might be offset by $200-300 in tax "savings".

Real dollars in and real dollars out; it's real tough to make a good argument to finance an RV, boat, car, etc...
ummmm ... you are calculating a 38-40% tax rate!!! Who pays 38% taxes???

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #134
laj

Lots of people pay that much. If you add all taxes in, lots people don't even think about, you can get lots closer to 70 percent
USA ain't cheap
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1

If the fed rate for a 10 yr bond was 4.5 or higher, I would be willing to put 5 years of expenses in something like that. But without that kind of support, a bank offering that would be in trouble, and so would the US government, similar to Spain right now.
Dave......if you borrowed money for your RV at around 5% (for a fixed term of 10yrs) and your plan was to cover this expense with the money you had in an investment account, ....you would need to add.... Capital gains taxes (+1%) ....plus Trading Fees & Management Fees (1%).... Less your second home tax credit (.075%).... Your true cost of borrowing money would be around 6.25%.

My point was.....If you HAD the money and paid-off the RV loan ......you would realize an immediate & guaranteed return of 6.25%....(no more loan). Wouldn't this be better than taking the "risk" that you investment portfolio was going to return better than 6.25% year-in & year-out for 10yrs.?

In hindsight, I probably would have been better to just ask the question in this fashion. Regardless, It is now clear from many of the responses that no one is paying anywhere near " true borrowing costs" of 6.25%... So the question is pretty much meaningless. In fact, I now pretty much feel like a dope for paying cash for my MH!
Old 07-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #136

Fleetwood Owners Club
I love the different opinions expressed in these posts. My father was an all cash person and said many years ago that when we need to pay for a drink of water society is in trouble. His words are correct and after many years of doing other things I learned to manage money so my family is not a slave to debt, not rich but no debt and a certain freedom that provides. The number of toys one owns can indicate success or envy, unfortunately envy generally indicates someone else owns your time. Love that the lessons my father taught me in spite of my youthful skepticism have made my sunset years less stressful. if my wife reads this she will tell me I am becoming a person like my father, so be it!
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #137

Freightliner Owners Club
Well to buy one these toys that go down in price of $10,000 a year is crazy any way and we all are crazy and Spoiled ever last one of us wheather we can pay cash or finance,just be thankful we live in USA and still have right to be spoiled and enjoy our labor,but this could change in near future.When i drove off lot I ask the wife what she thought this thing was worth now she looked at me like I was crazy and I told her it was worth$0 cause thats the only way i could justify such a purchase.and besides when i leave this earth i can't take nothing with me,but my Sole!
God bless and enjoy what the Lord allows you to have!
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #138

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL
Well to buy one these toys that go down in price of $10,000 a year is crazy any way and we all are crazy and Spoiled ever last one of us wheather we can pay cash or finance,just be thankful we live in USA and still have right to be spoiled and enjoy our labor,but this could change in near future.When i drove off lot I ask the wife what she thought this thing was worth now she looked at me like I was crazy and I told her it was worth$0 cause thats the only way i could justify such a purchase.and besides when i leave this earth i can't take nothing with me,but my Sole!
God bless and enjoy what the Lord allows you to have!
This sure sums it up
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #139
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post

Kathryn
I'm in a 48% tax bracket. Us Canadians are WAY over taxed!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post

Kathryn

We have an excellent tax attorney, and still pay the top federal rate, plus top rate California taxes, plus a myriad of other taxes and "fees". Make a lot, pay a lot. No way I would live anywhere else to save a few thousand on taxes. It's just about perfect right here...