Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Here is a simple rule: Keep 4-5 years of expenses in the bank, the rest in large cap dividend-paying stocks. You will NEVER be sorry. I fired my broker 6 years ago and never looked back. 5% returns are easy.
A much greater percentage of my retirement portfolio will be tied up in the stock market than I really wanted since, as you point out, dividend-paying stocks are one of the few income-generating sources left.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #72

Thor Owners Club
For those asking where the 5% returns are, the simple answer is dividend-paying stocks. You can easily build a diversified portfolio of solid companies with dividends in the 4%-and-up range. Look at companies like Verizon, AT&T, Pepco, Altria, many others ... throw in some lesser names like Regal Entertainment (movie theaters), AstraZeneca (pharmaceuticals) ... these are just a few from my current list. Google "best dividend stocks" or similar, you'll find many lists. Be wary, though, the crazy-high dividends (10% and up) are usually companies you've never heard of -- too much risk for me.

And if you don't mind a complicated tax return (or paying an accountant to do it for you) try some master limited partnerships, like Kinder Morgan (currently 5.6%). Lots more like that, many in the oil business (pipelines, gas processing, etc.)

Sure, there's risk, but to me it's manageable, and worth the tradeoff. But everyone has their own level of risk tolerance.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #73

Dividends are going to be subject to the additional 3.8% federal income tax and capital gains rates are scheduled to go up. Hopefully, both of these increases will be changed as I think they would be devastating to many seniors.
I might add that it is always a good idea to evaluate any risk associated with investments. Good Luck!
Old 07-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #74

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Dividends are going to be subject to the additional 3.8% federal income tax and capital gains rates are scheduled to go up. Hopefully, both of these increases will be changed as I think they would be devastating to many seniors.
I might add that it is always a good idea to evaluate any risk associated with investments. Good Luck!
The 3.8% tax will only hit individuals with over 200k of adjusted gross income (AGI), and couples over 250k. If I made that much money, I wouldn't be worried about it.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #75
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike
The 3.8% tax will only hit individuals with over 200k of adjusted gross income (AGI), and couples over 250k. If I made that much money, I wouldn't be worried about it.
Thanks for the divd. stock info. I was wondering if these are similar to bonds in respect to them trading at highs now due to the low interest rates and if so do they plummet like bonds do when the interest rates rise? I need to find another vehicle to invest in as a lot of my bonds are being called and the 5-5 1/2% that I was getting is not attainable any longer.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #76

Funny... what I think will be devastating is when theres no longer any social security. How can anybody receiving it justify that.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall

Thanks for the divd. stock info. I was wondering if these are similar to bonds in respect to them trading at highs now due to the low interest rates and if so do they plummet like bonds do when the interest rates rise? I need to find another vehicle to invest in as a lot of my bonds are being called and the 5-5 1/2% that I was getting is not attainable any longer.
Stocks do not act like that, the dividend, a dollar amount, remains constant or increases. In fact, when the financial crisis struck almost every dividend paying stock kept paying the same.

As far as the extra tax goes, it can't be taxed if it is in an IRA. My total IRA is up 70% from end of 2007. Mostly older large cap dividend stocks, and some energy trusts. All in my IRA. No tax paid until I start to withdraw next year.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #78
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1

Stocks do not act like that, the dividend, a dollar amount, remains constant or increases. In fact, when the financial crisis struck almost every dividend paying stock kept paying the same.
It wasn't the div'd amount I was questioning ( although now that you mention it, a lot of co's cut or eliminated their div'd after the 2008 fincl crisis ). My question was more geared to the stock price itself. A stock paying 5% will not be as attractive when other investments are paying more. Just as in the bond market. Prices rise and fall with interest rates. I was wondering if this has been true of dividend stocks as well.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #79

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I only wish that were true! Some of my biggest holdings were bank stocks, which mostly were forced to either suspend or drastically cut their dividends.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #80

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike
I only wish that were true! Some of my biggest holdings were bank stocks, which mostly were forced to either suspend or drastically cut their dividends.
Don't get me wrong, I had 2 banks stocks that hurt me, but they were not my biggest holdings. Tobacco, food, and energy trusts, like pipelines kept it all together. Sorry to get so far off topic. If I had 400 k, I sure wouldn't use it to pay cash for a MH, I would finance it.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #81
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm sorry too for getting off topic. I pay cash. Always have and always will. That includes my houses. Doesn't matter whether others think its wrong. I control my own sleep at night.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #82

Please explain, If you have a S&B house worth $400K (appreciating asset) and a $400K RV (depreciating asset) and a $300K loan at the bank. What difference does it make that the loan is tied to the RV as opposed to the S&B?
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #83

Quote:
If you have a S&B house worth $400K (appreciating asset)
Lots of people would really disagree with this assumption. You suffer the depreciation if you have a mortgage on it or if you don't. The best way to negate the depreciation is to keep it.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #84

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
Please explain, If you have a S&B house worth $400K (appreciating asset) and a $400K RV (depreciating asset) and a $300K loan at the bank. What difference does it make that the loan is tied to the RV as opposed to the S&B?
One difference, in broad brush terms, is that banks will almost always give you a lower interest rate on the S&B loan because it is better collateral than an RV, for several obvious reasons. The S&B will hold value better (and might even appreciate), AND no one can drive it away to an obscure location. There are other reasons as well.

steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote