Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #1

Pay for cash

There has been numerous post on ( I only pay cash).I'm just curious how many 400k and up and they did not sell their home. That doesn't count unless you did not have to finance it. I see absolutely nothing wrong using someone else's money. I think if you took a pole of millionaires you would find they us someone else's money (the bank ) and save their cash. So I guess I'm venting not everyone's finances are the same, not everyone's needs are the same. We all got to our life style on our on making decisions that we thought was best some have more and some have less happy rving.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm with you on this one Rooster.

My new DP didn't cost $400K but even though I could have paid cash I chose to take out a 90% loan and hang on to my cash. It didn't make sense to me to put cash into an expensive, depreciating asset.

Yes, it's under water but that doesn't come as a surprise to me. I knew that would be the case as soon as I drove it off the lot. That fact doesn't hinder how much I enjoy the rig one bit.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #3

Hey guys I understand your logic if....

1) You do NOT have the cash, but you have great "cash flow" which easily covers the house mortgage, health care, the kid's college fund, your retirement planning, etc. etc.....hey as long as the priorities are covered (?).....why not?

2) You HAVE the cash and you feel that in today's investment climate you can "comfortably" invest your cash and cover the interest and the taxes (?).....why not?

My only question is.....what happens if you loose that "cash flow" or your "investment strategy" goes south?

Not trying to be a jerk or start an argument...just curious....am I missing something?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #4

Pay with cash that you have sitting in a .05% savings account or borrow it at 6.5%. Boy. I'd have to give that some thought.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Pay with cash that you have sitting in a .05% savings account or borrow it at 6.5%. Boy. I'd have to give that some thought.
X2
Old 07-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Second Home

Don't forget that the sales tax and interest etc are deductions on your income tax.

I get 4 to 7% on my savings. I wouldn't put 100K in a BANK!
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
X2
X3
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
Hey guys I understand your logic if....

1) You do NOT have the cash, but you have great "cash flow" which easily covers the house mortgage, health care, the kid's college fund, your retirement planning, etc. etc.....hey as long as the priorities are covered (?).....why not?

2) You HAVE the cash and you feel that in today's investment climate you can "comfortably" invest your cash and cover the interest and the taxes (?).....why not?

My only question is.....what happens if you loose that "cash flow" or your "investment strategy" goes south?

Not trying to be a jerk or start an argument...just curious....am I missing something?
I hear you Jack and those are the questions one has to ask.

In my situation, I was newly retired and could go either way... cash or finance. I bought my new coach in April 2007. Everything was rosy in the financial markets... and while many here on the forum proudly proclaim that they saw the crash coming and cashed out of the market... I was not so insightful... so I financed. At the time my cash was doing a great job of providing a much better return than the 6% loan I took out.

Hindsight provides clarity and if I knew then what I know now... well, I wouldn't have purchased a new quarter million dollar RV in the first place.

But, IMO it's all about risk tolerance. To answer your question, my investment strategy went south... along with the strategies of a few other folks over the past 5 years. But, I did not put myself in a position where that would make or break my bank. It didn't turn out to be the smartest move financially but it hasn't changed my life one bit. I can still afford to do all the things I did when I first bought it.

What kind of makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up from time to time is when someone will post about how they NEVER finance anything and they save up until they can pay cash... followed by statements or implications that anyone who does otherwise is... well, fill in the blank: foolish, irresponsible, ignorant, etc.

I believe they start from a false premise that we are all in the same financial situation and hold the same values. We are not.

Just how I see my world.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #9

We pay cash for everything. I do not want to be in debt. Life has a different feeling for me when I owe no one. We are fans of Dave Ramsey who says, "The borrower is slave to the lender." I know there are those of you out there who manage your debt fine and probably won't get into financial trouble, but I just breathe easier knowing what I have I own. What we have may not be the best or most expensive, but it's ours.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Savings??? LOL
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
5% would be great... more like 1-2 % or pay 6.5 % interest. yep doesn't make sense to me either.

Dan
Old 07-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dance Chick View Post
We pay cash for everything. I do not want to be in debt. Life has a different feeling for me when I owe no one. We are fans of Dave Ramsey who says, "The borrower is slave to the lender." I know there are those of you out there who manage your debt fine and probably won't get into financial trouble, but I just breathe easier knowing what I have I own. What we have may not be the best or most expensive, but it's ours.

And THAT's what it's all about. Whatever makes each of us most comfortable in managing our lives.

Happy travels.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 07-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White
these POLLS on this site is a joke. People just being nosy.

Forget it it ain't worth the aggravation.
Perry.... Why would you say that? This is a general conversation forum where thoughts and ideas can be exchanged. If you don't like the conversation that's OK, but why be critical of people having a bit of relaxation and fun discussing things?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #14

The last time I financed anything was when I bought a new 1982 Mercury Lynx. The financing bit was a mistake. I had so many problems with the bank while overseas on deployment that I just came to the decision that I would never finance anything again. I'm not wealthy. Far from it. I'll just do without, save my money and pay cash. I've never even paid any interest on any credit cards until recently after I bought the motor home. I've discovered owning a motor home is a lot like owning a boat. I just keep pouring money into it.