Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2006, 07:31 AM   #1

If you have a Pay Pal account and it seems like most of us do, and even if you don't you will receive some of the most realistic looking emails telling you that you account has been closed or about to be closed or for security reasons you must "sign in" and take care of the proplem.

HOW CAN I TELL IF IT IS FRAUD??

The following is from Pay Pal's website and this the best way to tell..

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Look for a PayPal Greeting: PayPal will never send an email with the greeting "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member." Real PayPal emails will address you by your first and last name or the business name associated with your PayPal account. If you believe you have received a fraudulent email, please forward the entire email"”including the header information"”to spoof@paypal.com. We investigate every spoof reported. Please note that the automatic response you get from us may not address you by name. </span>

The following are a couple of the screens you may see. Note how professional they look. Pay Pal <span class="ev_code_RED">NEVER</span>askes for info like this. So don't fall for it....EVER..

God Bless and Pleasant Journeys,
Dave Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2006, 07:31 AM   #2

If you have a Pay Pal account and it seems like most of us do, and even if you don't you will receive some of the most realistic looking emails telling you that you account has been closed or about to be closed or for security reasons you must "sign in" and take care of the proplem.

HOW CAN I TELL IF IT IS FRAUD??

The following is from Pay Pal's website and this the best way to tell..

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Look for a PayPal Greeting: PayPal will never send an email with the greeting "Dear PayPal User" or "Dear PayPal Member." Real PayPal emails will address you by your first and last name or the business name associated with your PayPal account. If you believe you have received a fraudulent email, please forward the entire email"”including the header information"”to spoof@paypal.com. We investigate every spoof reported. Please note that the automatic response you get from us may not address you by name. </span>

The following are a couple of the screens you may see. Note how professional they look. Pay Pal <span class="ev_code_RED">NEVER</span>askes for info like this. So don't fall for it....EVER..

God Bless and Pleasant Journeys,
Dave Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

I get these Paypal and Ebay emails from time to time and the best advice came from Paypal and Ebay themselves.....DO NOT OPEN ANY EMAILS, SIMPLY log in to your Paypal or Ebay and check there...
rebelsbeach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:10 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
It's a no-brainer never to reply to any emails asking for passwords, credit card and other confidential information.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Having a PayPal account; those emails sure looked real to me. But I never use the mails link to the site. I always log on to the site from my own link.
Thanks for the heads up.
Chet
Old 08-11-2006, 05:43 PM   #6

Wife had Pay Pal several years ago, but haven't used it for years. I get emails like that, but I don't open them. That is what the little red X is for!
Old 08-11-2006, 06:05 PM   #7

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have received phishing "requests" to update my account/security information for all these institutions:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>PayPal
<LI>National Association Federal Credit Union
<LI>National Credit Union Administration
<LI>JPMorgan Chase & Co
<LI>Educational Systems Employeers Federal Credit Union
<LI>The Independent BankersBank
<LI>Ebay[/list]
The amazing part of all this is....

I DON'T HAVE AN ACCOUNT WITH ANY OF THEM !

It just goes to show how ruthless they are to get confidential information out of you.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:42 PM   #8

frank,
since you dont have an account with any of them, answer them in a way that will let them know ya "got them".

the emails will stop then.

R

Class of 2005
Richard n Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:50 PM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
R

I never link, respond to, or even open these types of emails, or anything that looks suspicious for that matter. It's possible that the URL you link to can be "coded" in such a way that they can determine the email address it came from, which, in turn, will get you on more spammer's email lists because, by you responding, they know it's a good email address.

However, I will attempt to find out if the if the institution being victimized by the phishing scammer has an email address for fraudulent emails and if so, I forward the email to them. PayPal, for example, has their own which is spoof@paypal.com and some websites have an email address that begins with abuse to report fraudulent emails.

Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote