Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Thumbs up Paypal & Ebay

On a different thread on this forum people were bad mouthing PayPal.

I have used Paypal for many different things over the years including about 500 transactions on Ebay and love it. I have never been scammed or the like. But I am also very careful, I check ratings and such.

I suppose the bad guys can be any where, but this is my experience.

BTW I am 71, a retired Professional Engineer, a Ham, etc.

Bob
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Paypal.....

Pay pal is a wonderful way to receive and give payments, it is even in the store's now on most credit card machines at the check out counter's as another option of payment. I also have never had one single problem and your transaction records are kept for 3 years online through them for your records.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
Community Administrator

I just googled paypal scams and got a lot of hits. Apparently it's an issue to be aware of. I'm doing a real estate closing this week and the title Co will not accept a certified bank check as they are no longer safe. The world is changing. :(

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #4

One thing to consider is never respond to a paypal email directly. For example if you get an email that says click here to sign into your account, don't. Instead go to the paypal site to sign in.

Never trust an email that asks for you information or "click here" if you did not start the conversation.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Post #4 hit the "nail" right on the head! A financial institution will never contact you by e-mail...... scammer's will! Don't click on them, delete them, if and when you open the e-mail like this it will "link" your info. to them.......to late if you opened a "bad"e-mail...... most of the time. DELETE THEM!
Old 12-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
PayPal is not a problem.

Selling your RV and accepting payment via Paypal can be very risky and is the preferred method of scammers.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The "Problem" with pay pal is that they are big, and as a result there are folks who will send you what looks like E-mail from them but isn't. as noted in post 4.

I have also gotten E-mails like that from several banks, INCLUDING one (just one) I actually have an account with.

To me it is kind of funny. My comments are in pren's)

"This is Bank of America security (no it's not) And we are having trouble accessing your account (I bet they are, I do not have an account with BoA) so can you please click on the link below....

Back to all my words:

And give us your log in data so we can clean your your account for you,, Thank you in advance.

Well, as I said, kind of funny, Closed my BoA account .... A long, Long time ago.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #8

I have used PayPal for years for buying and selling (mainly through Ebay) including some big-ticket items. Had a couple of bad sellers on Ebay and (eventually) got refunded by PayPal.
The big-ticket items I have used PayPal for a nominal deposit and paid/received the balance in greenbacks.
I certainly would not use PayPal for a multi-thousand dollar transaction (but have for a couple hundred).
As with everything... Let the buyer (and seller) beware.
I always check sellers feedback profile and rarely buy if less than 98% (prefer 100% but it's hard to please everyone). Also avoid those with less than 50 feedback (even if 100%).
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #9

Honestly, the problem with Ebay and Paypal are buyers. There are buyers who will purchase something then, file a complaint with Ebay such as "not as described". Paypal (since they are now owned by Ebay) will put a hold on that amount of money in your Paypal account until it is resolved. And, generally they side with the buyer, not the seller. This is why Ebay has taken away the ability of a seller to leave anything but POSITIVE feedback on a buyer.

This is why I hate Ebay.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #10

I have used PP for years also and have never had any problems. It is very convenient, especially for eBay and buying online.... You just have to be careful, as with everything else on the internet.

Google has something very similar now, called Google Wallet...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I am not sure how this happened to me.......

About 8 or 9 years ago I bought a GPS off of Ebay thru paypal and used my Amex card to cover the cost.

About 3 or 4 years after that I was getting collection notices informing me that a collection agency had been hired by paypal. I called paypay to inquire about it and they had no answer for me. It turns out that they (paypal) sold the debt to the collection agency. The only thing I can think of is that pay pal must have charged me fees that I had no idea about. I had paid for the paypal purchase with my Amex card. It really ruined my credit score and after all these years has not gotten back to what it originally was. The interesting thing is that my wife's credit score is just shy of 800 or maby a bit over and she writes the cheques.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Honestly, the problem with Ebay and Paypal are buyers. There are buyers who will purchase something then, file a complaint with Ebay such as "not as described". Paypal (since they are now owned by Ebay) will put a hold on that amount of money in your Paypal account until it is resolved. And, generally they side with the buyer, not the seller. This is why Ebay has taken away the ability of a seller to leave anything but POSITIVE feedback on a buyer.

This is why I hate Ebay.
Mark. I hear ya. I don't agree with the seller not able to leave negative feedback. As a seller, you at least get to respond to the negative feedback and present your side.
They also don't allow other Ebay users to see the ID of the buyer that left the negative feedback. That would at least give you the ability to verify if the seller is bad or the buyer is just a bad buyer.
That's why I don't insist on 100% feedback. If someone sells 10,000 items a year, they are bound to get the occasional 'bad buyer'. I like to research their negative feedback and make up my own mind.
I recently purchased a 'pair' of spare pins for my Blue Ox towbar and only received one. The description clearly indicated a pair. Turned out the seller had made a genuine mistake and he refunded part of the cost. I left him positive feedback and noted in the feedback that there had been a problem but it had been resolved quickly and amicably. So far, he has not returned the feedback.
BTW: I used the 'contact seller' link to send them a message but it opened up a dispute case which was not my intention.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velroc View Post
On a different thread on this forum people were bad mouthing PayPal.

I have used Paypal for many different things over the years including about 500 transactions on Ebay and love it. I have never been scammed or the like. But I am also very careful, I check ratings and such.

I suppose the bad guys can be any where, but this is my experience.

BTW I am 71, a retired Professional Engineer, a Ham, etc.

Bob
There always seems to be folks on both sides of a topic, but I regret to say I am on the other side of this one. I'm just not an ebay/Paypal fan. I used to absolutely love ebay and used to be on it regularly everyday. I remember the pre-Paypal days and it was not good.

A LOT of people have been seriously burned by Paypal (and ebay). This site was was formed by a lot of upset sellers about 5 or so years ago went ebay went through their big change. You can find how Paypal and ebay have treated buyers and sellers. Online Auction discussion Forum for Ecommerce, Selling, Marketing, and Alternative sites

Paypal charges a high transaction fee and they also profit from a currency conversion. You are far better off buying something online where you can pay by credit card. Besides being covered for theft or damage, we also get double the warranty on the item and we get 1% cash back annually. A claim via a credit card is hassle free. Have never once had a problem with any online purchase made with a CC. Can't say that about ebay/Paypal.

You have to watch the deadlines for filing a claim with ebay and Paypal. If an item is late in arriving due to Customs, out of stock, etc., you can be out of luck. And if it got damaged in transit by the carrier, you have to go through a claims process with the seller, which can be a headache and ebay/Paypal won't help you. The few times I've had problems with damaged or missing items from online vendors, they've just shipped out a replacement with no questions asked.

We won't buy on ebay unless the item is hard to find or it's the lowest overall price we can find. For us, it thanks but no thanks to Paypal and ebay.

Interestingly, just this morning, I went through the process of comparing the price on an RV item from two different sources. One had payment by CC and the other uses only Paypal. The base price was about the same and one source was in Canada and the other in the US. The cost with the vendor using Paypal was substantially higher, and by a shocking amount. (And no, shipping location was not a factor.)

You will find many independent online vendors also sell on ebay. Typically, if you go to their own website, prices are lower. It's simply because of ebay and Paypal fees.

The best thing about Paypal is that it has substantially reduced fraud. For a while, ebay was like the wild west until they brought Paypal in. Fraudsters were taking photos of other owner's vehicles and selling them to victims. They are easy for sending and receiving funds, but they aren't the only one doing that now.

BTW, I'm also a professional engineer. Not a ham, but I do have a shortwave radio. I have an MBA and am married to an accountant and certified fraud examiner. I've probably done well over 2,000 ebay transactions in total since before 2000. We've become pretty adept at searching around the 'net for the best deals. We both love searching around the internet to see what's out there.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
One thing to consider is never respond to a paypal email directly. For example if you get an email that says click here to sign into your account, don't. Instead go to the paypal site to sign in.

Never trust an email that asks for you information or "click here" if you did not start the conversation.
:i agree::iag ree:
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote