Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #1

PenFed

Looks like the 5% card has been discontinued..... haven't confirmed if those of us that have it are grandfathered. If someone knows post, if not I will confirm on Friday.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2017, 05:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
Looks like the 5% card has been discontinued..... haven't confirmed if those of us that have it are grandfathered. If someone knows post, if not I will confirm on Friday.
We have one and I can't see that they've changed anything. You can still apply for one and all the percentages are the same. Don't see a problem.
Misty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I believe that the cash back PenFed card was discontinued. They now offer points instead which you can redeem as a visa card or other gift card.
Florida Panhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Dang it! I was just getting ready to change over to them as Citi card went to Master Card from Visa.

Now I have to start all over again.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #5

Mine still works. Fingers crossed now.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Dang it! I was just getting ready to change over to them as Citi card went to Master Card from Visa.

Now I have to start all over again.

Citicard did what? When?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for posting this. Yeah, I'm curious about grandfathering but I doubt it as it never works that way ...and, we are sort of grandfathered already as they really wanted most of their gas rewards card customers to change over to that new Platinum rewards card based on points when it was initiated several years ago.

If not sooner, terms will usually expire when your card expires. My expiration date is in October of this year. I'll have to call them tomorrow to get some light shed on this. I thought this card was almost too good to be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty123 View Post
We have one and I can't see that they've changed anything. You can still apply for one and all the percentages are the same. Don't see a problem.
Well, there were two types of gas cards. There's the card you have that's based on points and there's also been the old carryover card --the one that I'm using now-- where you get an immediate statement credit of 5%. There's no having to accumulate points ...just an immediate 5% cash credit on the statement for fuel purchases. That's ideal for me. On my card there are no rewards for anything else except a very low fraction of a percentage for anything else aside from gas. We only use our PenFed card for fuel.

Since it's a VISA card, it can now be used at Costco gas stations which sell top tier gas with some selling diesel and get the immediate 5% off --and since Costco fuel is usually the cheapest around, it's the best bargain going for fuel purchases in my opinion.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:30 PM   #8

^^^
pertaining to my previous post above:

The PenFed VISA card that apparently will be discontinued is officially called the "Platinum Cash Rewards VISA" and looks like this:

Old 02-27-2017, 09:16 PM   #9

Good news for those of us who have the old "Platinum Cash Rewards VISA," preliminary investigation is leading me to believe that we will be grandfathered.

They are telling me that it's just not being offered to new applicants.

Again, this is NOT their VISA card that gives "5-points" for fuel purchases but it's the one that gives an immediate 5% statement rebate to those who have qualifying PenFed products (checking accounts, CDs, loans, etc.).
Old 02-27-2017, 10:15 PM   #10

Spoke with them this morning, if you have it you have it for life. They are honoring their commitment to those that have it and keep it. When it comes up for renewal they will honor their promise. Nice!
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Spoke with them this morning, if you have it you have it for life. They are honoring their commitment to those that have it and keep it. When it comes up for renewal they will honor their promise. Nice!
Great news! Still the best card around for gas purchases.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #12

I never got around to getting the card.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

FANTASTIC!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:44 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
I never got around to getting the card.

Procrastination caught up with you this time!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote