Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #29
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
I don't always go to the pumps that are tied to our gas points, but as we had .80 cents off per gallon, I saved $28.00 on the 35 gallons I put in. On average we save between .50 cents to .80 cents per gallon when we use this program. For me, that's an average savings of $55 on a full 73 gallon fill - about 1/4 tank of fuel or ~130 miles of travel.

Please do tell us the name of that program that saves you 80 cents per gallon! Please?

================================================== ====

As for pulling away from the tanks, I guess if you are using the "gas" lanes it would look like you are "running" without paying. However, in the truck diesel lanes it is common courtesy to pull forward and leave the pump for the next person, and if you intend on eating, to go back out and pull into a parking spot.

Some common courtesy can go a long way.

Hamguy, you should have followed them into where they were going for the "show."

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
I wouldve pulled in so as to block as many pumps as I could, then waited for the gas station manager to come out and 'guide' me
That would make you "part of the problem."

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #31

When running with the toad and forced to use a less than ideal gas pump I have been known to unhook the toad and if need be, use it to run interference for the RV. We only had to do it once but using the toad to keep the RV from getting boxed in or just taking it off to make certain you're not blocking folks can often make for a smoother stop and calmer nerves all around. Now I wouldn't use the toad to block traffic mind you. But in the case where a well placed parking place just happens to get legally used and when said space just happens to empty out at the moment I need it to be clear for pulling out then hey, who am I to complain?
Old 10-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
The only reason to go inside to pay for gas is when paying by check or cash. Why would anyone these days want to do that? I pay at the pump - quick and ez.
Not all Flying j pumps or other truck pumps give you a receipt at the pump. Most will read your credit card so you can pump.

At those I always go inside and get a receipt to post in my PC later.
Also have it in case of being stopped and accused of leaving without paying.

They have been updating to the pumps that give a receipt.
Even then sometimes they are out of paper.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #33

Well, you have to admit that trying to maneuver one of those things in an area meant for normally sized vehicles during a busy time is a bit much. There are truck stops where you could have had freedom to move as you wanted.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #34

Jayco Owners Club
Getting the finger from 2 rude lesbians must have been unsettling. I think Doctor Galen Drake has some ointment for that.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Please do tell us the name of that program that saves you 80 cents per gallon! Please?

================================================== ====
It's the gas points program available at Stop & Shop - I would guess they have a similar program for their Giant food store chain also. We've also seen similar programs at other Grocery stores in our travels.

The way it works is that for every dollar you spend in the store, you earn 1 gas point. Every 100 gas points is good for .10 cents off per gallon. The store also runs bonuses if you buy certain things like:

- buy 5 cans of redpack tomatoes 22Oz size, earn 400 extra points

these bonuses are on specific items in the store. Some weeks the bonus items are things we use, some weeks not.

Your points expire 30 days after you obtain them, so you have to pay attention to your point balance. It's as easy as logging onto the website or the app on your phone. In our neck of the woods you can "cash in" your points at a Stop & Shop gas station or a Shell Gas Station. You enter your S&S card number at the pump and see the discount, and you can pump as much as 35 gallons at the discounted price

There were some bonus point programs over the past few weeks that we utilized that helped push our points balance up a little.

Last winter there were some excellent point bonus programs, as well as us stocking up on food for the holidays,etc and we built a healthy balance of 1237 points. I used those points to put in 35 gallons at a "street price" of $3.459, but with our discount we paid $2.259/gallon. We spent $79.07, saving $42.00 using our points.

To me, it's a worthwhile program when the store has items and pricing that is attractive to us. When I'm not using the points for the motorhome, we use them towards fuel for our VW Tiguan - it helps to knock down the cost of having to use Premium fuel in the car.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #36
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonavonP
Getting the finger from 2 rude lesbians must have been unsettling. I think Doctor Galen Drake has some ointment for that.
That fj is known for having an over abundance of that brain deficient garbage there. Cops called all the time.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
Well, you have to admit that trying to maneuver one of those things in an area meant for normally sized vehicles during a busy time is a bit much. There are truck stops where you could have had freedom to move as you wanted.
Quote:
No offense but you're little gas station looks just that - little. I'd find a place more suited to the size of your rig.

There's no truck stops close to where we are, and while the photo may seem it's too tight, it's really not. We're 32' long and I don't have any problems getting through the lot or getting up to the pump. I always make sure to swing wide coming in, and reverse and swing wide in the opposite direction so that I don't tap the pump or the concrete poles while pulling out.

As with any fuel station, there has to be enough room for the 18 Wheeler fueling truck to get in an out - so there's certainly enough room for many RV's up to a mid-size.

If we were much longer, say 39/40 feet or longer, I would likely not use this station. I could use the end pump on the other side, but that's actually a harder location to get out of.

At this station, I come on from the "long" side entrance where the tank fills are, stay along the backside curb and swing into the end lane. I've used this station a dozen times or so and have never had a problem.

And there are no signs at this station that say no Trucks, No Trailers, No RV's. We have seen signs like this in our travels at stations that just really do not have enough room to maneuver.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Guiding people in and out is not their job or responsibility. If they did that and you were run into or ran into something that would possibly make them or the company responsible.
Wasnt the point
Old 10-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
That would make you "part of the problem."
Exactly!
Old 10-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
whoops ... double post.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
The only reason to go inside to pay for gas is when paying by check or cash. Why would anyone these days want to do that? I pay at the pump - quick and ez.
We're one of those that prefer to use cash - no hassles with upper limits on cards; no worries about the card being refused, etc. Call us old-fashioned but pictures of dead presidents are still legal tender in this land and we'll continue to use them.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #42
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
One of the biggest hassles paying at the pump is the $100 limit per use on a credit card. The only way around this is to prepay inside.

Tags
gas