Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
People are so RUDE - Gas Station Craziness!

I took the motorhome out today to get some fuel. We're at our place in RI and will likely see some of the effects of Hurricane Sandy. I wanted to make sure that we had enough fuel to run the genny for a few days if we need to.

I use one gas station in particular in town here .. we earn gas points at the Stop&Shop which translates to money off at the pump. As I was pulling up to the station it was pretty packed with cars constantly going in and out of the pumps.

I pulled up along the back side like I always do, so that I could get in and out of the pump at the end. I waited patiently, letting other drivers get in and out in front of me so that I would not block them in. As the 2 drivers in front of me finished at the end pump I started pulling up to it and a "lady" in her SUV flew in the entrance - could definately see me creeping up - and pulled a U Turn right in front of me to get to the pump.

I kept my cool and didn't lean on the horn and she just kind of looked at me when she got out of her car. So while she went up to prepay for fuel, I just creeped right up to her rear bumper - there was no way anyone but Twiggy would be able to walk between her SUV and the motorhome.

After she pulls out I start the motorhome again, put it into drive and then get 2 other cars trying to squeeze between the curbside of the motorhome and the back edge of the gas station. Now I'm blocked in again without enough room to swing out a little ...grrr. They finally back up and go the other way.

A little while, and 35 gallons later, it's time to pull out. To safely get away from the pump I have to back up and swing the motorhome so that I don't hit the pumps on the swing out. Of course people can see me creeping slowly backwards, but do you think they would stop - of course not - they can't wait a few seconds for me to backup and just have to drive behind me *right now*.

Finally I'm positioned in the exit and yes, I am taking up most of it and am situated to the left side so that I can make a clean right hand turn into the single lane and BOOM a van comes blasting from the opposite direction that I am heading towards to squeeze on my left side and jumps the curb just to get in. He was only inches from hitting the front drivers side of the motorhome.

Geez ... I mean it's a hurricane yes, but it's not going to be here in RI for a couple of days and the track might even change. Total craziness at the pumps today ...

Hey check it out ... google even got me while I was pumping today. HA - no I just superimposed the RV from another satellite shot onto the gas station satellit photo, but this is where and how I have to pump here. Yes it's tight for drivers when I am there, but I don't block both the front and back.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With lower gasoline prices, it is like a feeding frenzy. All they want is to be FIRST and to H with everyone else. I would have not been so easy not given in.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The more people I meet... the better I like my dogs.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I wouldve pulled in so as to block as many pumps as I could, then waited for the gas station manager to come out and 'guide' me
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
I would've pulled in so as to block as many pumps as I could, then waited for the gas station manager to come out and 'guide' me
I agree, but you would probably have died of old age waiting for that to happen. Most attendants have problems giving you 25 cents change from $40 presented, let alone guiding an RV anywhere. Any unusual situation arises and many of the public absolutely freak out. You can just imagine what actions they'd take in a true critical situation.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
I agree, but you would probably have died of old age waiting for that to happen. Most attendants have problems giving you 25 cents change from $40 presented, let alone guiding an RV anywhere. Any unusual situation arises and many of the public absolutely freak out. You can just imagine what actions they'd take in a true critical situation.
Wouldve been half the fun
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #7

You did the right thing 2Labs... I deal with that stuff 5 days a week.. Try to be nice, and they treat you like an idiot. But at the end of the day, you feel ok knowing you tried to do the right thing. At least in the time I was brought up anyway..
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

The more people I meet... the better I like my dogs.

Rick
Ya,,, same here !!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
I wouldve pulled in so as to block as many pumps as I could, then waited for the gas station manager to come out and 'guide' me
No habla Engles'
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are dumb people out there.

There are stupid people out there.

There are idiots out there.

Take your pick.

It used to really amaze me how everyone is in such a hurry. Traveling the freeway to Houston, doing 68-70 keeping up with traffic in a 65 mph zone, cars fly by zigzagging only to be slowed down to the speed everyone is traveling at - five car lengths up. Some of the maneuvers are frightening. I really marvel at the dumb, stupid idiot exiting from the 3rd left hand lane.

Unlike you I have not had any problems at the diesel pumps, most likely because I will not let it happen, carefully.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #11

It appears that your courtesy was mistaken for weakness. The other customers may be unable recognize a display of manners when they see one.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Our last holiday, we were about to cross the border into the US just south of Abbottsford BC. We were already in a line up for about a 1/2 hour and slowly moving towards the crossing. At this particular crossing, there is a road that goes through the line ups so you have to set outside the intersection till you have room to cross and be in the line. In any event while I was waiting, this punk with his cap on sideways and his GF in the truck, cross the intersection and do a U-ball into the turning lane and butted into the line. I blew my top! I cruised across the intersection and came right up to his drivers door about a 1/4" from his window and layed on the horn for about 3 minutes. Everyone saw what had happened and understood what I was doing. I called him out, he ignored me. His GF sunk into the passenger seat in embarassment. I wouldn't let him move with my horns blaring about 3' from his ears untill the line moved. I eventually let him in, but I think I got my point across. I'm usually not that agressive, but being a punk he thought he could take advantage.

He'll have to listen to his music a little louder from now on and hopefully he will think about what's right the next time.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I typically don't go into tight places like that...
the few cents off are not worth the hassle...

AND, I would probably make a few drivers upset when I ran their "petooties" over

or at least blocked them in...

just like with a St Bernard puppy,
you have to teach them to behave before they get too big to handle....
I'm just doing my part !!!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #14

Dunno - the absolutely RUDEST we have seen at the fuel pumps - especially the diesel pumps - are the RV owners. Many of them are totally oblivious to the line of other customers behind them, and AFTER they finish the 30 minute chore of filling their 150 gallon tank, LEAVE their rig blocking the pumps, THEN proceed to wash ALL their windows, check all 10 or 12 of their tires, then a casual walk around inspection of their rig, THEN another casual walk into the register to pay for their fuel purchase...

As everyone BEHIND them are forced to WAIT...

ALL this, EVEN WHEN there are obvious open parking spaces close by where they could courteously move away from the pumps to do those chores, to allow the long line behind them to move up...

"RUDE folks" at the fuel stations?

RVER's too often TOP that list!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas