Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2016, 12:56 PM   #1

Personal Identity Theft

We got notified the other day that our VISA chip embedded card was hacked and the account was locked and we needed to get a new card. The replacement of the card went smoothly this time, but it brought up a memory I wanted to share.

While camping at a state park this spring, we got to talking to the park ranger and I asked where the dumpsters were located. She told us the location, and then added "I had to chase a man and woman from there just the other day, and banned them from the park". Curiosity got the best of me and I asked "Why?"
She went on to say the "man was tossing trash bags out of the dumpster onto the ground and the woman was going through them looking for something and scattering trash all around". She stopped and asked "what the HE (double toothpicks) were you doing" and they said "looking for aluminum cans to sell". She got very interested in their actions because they didn't have any cans around them, but the woman did have paper etc sticking out of her pockets.

The short of the story was, the man and woman were looking for personal information such as names and addresses, account numbers and anything that could be used to create a new identity and they were going to sell that information!!!! She said with bits of information from various sources and with computers sorting through the information, a complete ID can be gotten from you and then it's an easy matter to simple act as you getting new card etc ruining your credit.

I know a lot of people get bulk mail delivered to them once a month or so, and I doubt most of us don't carry a shredded around with us, so what are you to do?

Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2016, 01:01 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Too bad they don't have fire pits, or even a bbq stand in the park. You could burn them.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:02 PM   #3

Lock your account with the 3 credit reporting agencies. That stops a lot of the fraud - not all.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #4

Identity theft

We carry a small shredder in the RV.
Freeze your credit.
Use cash and credit routinely.
Keep bank account and checkbook secure and don't use for small purchases.
Monitor accounts online using your own internet connection. Be very careful when using free wifi.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:37 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
never thought it would happen to me

I am careful with my card. I keep it in a foil sheath. I always watch the person taking it and make sure they don't swipe it on another reader, etc. A few months ago, I got my statement. It was twenty five hundred dollars for one month. I said no way. I started looking through it and saw Eleven hundred dollars at Kroger. I will have to give Visa a thank you. They checked and took off the charges right away. The only thing I can figure out is that I used my card at Target and I read that their computer was hacked.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:46 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I started traveling with three Visa cards as at least one is the subject of fraud each year. I get email alerts every time my card is used , so I know almost instantly when this fraud occurs. They issue me a new one and thankfully wipe out the charges. I keep them in RFID protected sleeves and try to watch when transactions are taking place , however the thiefs are usually one step ahead :(.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:50 AM   #7

The new Costco card is much better than the old one.

Old one minimum transaction as 10 and it sent email that often was slow.

New one can be any am out and it can go to as many as 4 places 2 email and 2 text as either groups or singles.

The text comes in within seconds usually.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:13 PM   #8

Personal Identity Theft

We carry a shredder and we do not throw anything in the trash with our name or address on it. We have full timed for over 8 years and have always had a shredder with us. We also have our credit cards in a foil pouch and have a prepaid card with a low amount on it that we use mainly at restaurants where the card is out of sight. Our credit union recommended that we get one (no fees associated with it).
Old 08-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We went thru two years of identity theft and our life got turned upside down...literally. After our credit union called on Christmas Eve to let us know about a $7000 ticket to Turkey, the "fun" began. It took several days of all kinds of happenings when our credit union call and said you need to treat this as Identity Theft. Darn hackers even cancelled our secondary health insurance. IRS was our first stop, got a PIN number for all tax info/returns. Turns out, we were being key stroked on our home computers. Out with the HP in with the Apple products. This nightmare lasted just under two years. Just when we thought it was done, something would pop up...
I don't wish this on anyone. We check our bank/investment statements twice a day now.
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I started traveling with three Visa cards as at least one is the subject of fraud each year. I get email alerts every time my card is used , so I know almost instantly when this fraud occurs. They issue me a new one and thankfully wipe out the charges. I keep them in RFID protected sleeves and try to watch when transactions are taking place , however the thiefs are usually one step ahead :(.
We do the same by using the RFID sleeves. We do the same thing with our passports and Nexus cards. Can't hurt to be safe is my logic.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:02 AM   #11

We limit our cards to $500.oo a day. A friend was vacationing in France, got charged $18,000.oo in furniture in France on his card! My question was "what is your card limit"? He responded I don't know! Found out later it was $40,000.oo! A few months later he got it straightened out and reduced his limit.
We can always raise our limit in case of a emergency with a simple phone call.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #12

This is bad.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Twice I've had someone try and charge to our AMEX card at WalMart. Each time it was for $46,000 or so in electronics. The only reason it didn't go through was that it was over our limit!
We got new cards and now that Costco changed to citi I'm still getting notices from AMEX that the card is being used but denied. Some of the charges are from NY for food and I've never been east of the Mississippi.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:40 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use multiple credit cards:

PenFed for fuel, another for whenever the card is out of hand (and at the highest risk (such as with a waitress at a restaurant)), another for general swiped usage, and yet another for only recurring charges (If needs to be replaced the most hassle).

Also have crisscross shredders in the MH and studs and stucco.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote