Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #1

personal property taxes

I live in Missouri and its going to getting close to the end of the year to pay personal property taxes on all my cars etc. I own a ace 30.2 and was wandering if any of you were shocked at the amount of taxes you had to pay.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 11:26 PM   #2

Our taxes are rolled in to our bi-annual registration and is not that bad. This way we are not hit with a big tax bill for everything all at once! I do not remember but I think that the tax on our MH was about $170 for two years.

R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:37 PM   #3

Seems like we have many different taxes here in wash state but we don't have that one THANKFULLY.!!!
Old 07-25-2015, 12:03 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smbuddy46 View Post
...wandering if any of you were shocked at the amount of taxes you had to pay.
YES, I was shocked when I got my personal property tax bill!

$4,627

In fact, I got that tax bill before I took delivery of my 2009 Monaco Diplomat. I live in Virginia and purchased the coach from a dealer in Pennsylvania. When I completed the purchase, the dealer agreed to store the coach until I could arrange storage close to my home. I returned to Virginia with the necessary paperwork to register the coach with DMV.

Being somewhat nave of the implications (DMV notified my county tax assessor of my purchase) I was surprised to receive a tax bill less than 2 weeks after the purchase (the coach was still in storage in Pennsylvania).

$4,627

As I shopped for a storage facility, I stopped by one in an adjacent county, 7 miles from my home. When I spoke with their representative about availability of a site, I mentioned my surprise at my tax bill. She shared with me that, in Virginia, for a motor vehicle in excess of 10,000 pounds GVW, the tax is based on the location the vehicle is garaged, rather than the residence of the owner and that the storage facility was in a county that did NOT assess recreational vehicles any personal property tax. There was only a $24 county registration fee.

Guess where I garage my coach?

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-25-2015, 12:05 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren Rice View Post
Seems like we have many different taxes here in wash state but we don't have that one THANKFULLY.!!!
YET!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:06 AM   #6

Stu, I feel your pain. Chesterfield County south of Richmond loves our coaches and extends a hand clear into our pockets!
Old 07-25-2015, 08:11 AM   #7

No property tax on vehicles in Florida.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:42 AM   #8

Surprisingly no personal property taxes in New York.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:48 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
YET!!
Exactly!
tomckeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:03 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I lived in Missouri for a while. Property tax on my 25 acre home was $250 a year personal property tax ran $125 if I remember correctly. I would not buy a new car so I could avoid the tax that went with it. Sold the home and live in Oklahoma, Bought a new car and now have a MH. NO personal property tax
Old 07-25-2015, 11:48 PM   #11

Personal Property Taxes - r u mixing with sales tax?

If it will be taxed in the State of registration as personal property, but you live in the motorhome, I guess you can pick which State - like Florida or Oregon - think there are 2-3 others, right? I think we're mixing personal property with sometimes whopping sales tax. Personal property in KS is base rate and so much per pound, depending how old it is. Sales tax is one time you've got to think about big time up front.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:50 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolfully View Post
If it will be taxed in the State of registration as personal property, but you live in the motorhome, I guess you can pick which State - like Florida or Oregon - think there are 2-3 others, right? I think we're mixing personal property with sometimes whopping sales tax. Personal property in KS is base rate and so much per pound, depending how old it is. Sales tax is one time you've got to think about big time up front.
Personal Property Tax a Local Tax Missouri
Personal property taxes on items like cars and boats are local taxes and usually levied by local government, at the municipal or county level. The property tax supports local education, police and fire protection, schools, and other local government services. Individuals pay the county or city directly for personal property taxes.

Depending on what county or municipal you live in you can get a whopping tax in addition to the sales tax when applying for your plates. Buy a new car in St Louis county for 30K and your personal property tax run about $2400 the first year. As the value of the car drops so does the tax for next year. Buy a MH for 100k PPT could run 8k I think the PPT in St Louis is 8.109