Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #15

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
I don't care what others say or feel about Flying J/Pilot.

I like the Flying J's RV Islands and they have some at the newer Pilot's also. Easy in & Out.
Plus I can park in a RV spot and get a $2 breakfast in the Denny's at many of them. Also while there I can Dump get water, air or LP if needed.

Try getting all that at other nearby stations.
All the folks upset with Pilot/Flying J didn't get hurt a bit by the thievery of P/FJ. It was the commercial truckers who were getting 'points' for their company purchasing fuel. Much like people who earn flight miles for the tickets their company buys for their travel, it was a way to get off book income that they don't have to report. An RV CC doesn't earn points, so no RVer was harmed. While I watched this story developing, I just figuring once again corporate thievery would be allowed off the hook with fines instead of jail for the crooks that perpetrated the crime and damage to their customers. Just like the banks, mortgage and investment companies that got away with billions in 2008. If you commit small crime, you go to jail. You commit large crime you get away with it. Think big.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
When we travel we use at least 4 different apps to look for diesel prices along our route. Why 4? Well it seems there is not just one app that has every station listed nor every price listed. If Pilot / Flying J has the lowest price without discounts added in then that's where we go.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #17

Does Fj show their RV Island locations on their website? I'm new to the Class A DP RV life style, but am anxious to hit the road soon.

Thank you,
dvkiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I tend to agree with my fellow RV'ers wherein FJ/pilot, TA, Love's, truck stops have totally lost their appeal to me. I will no longer stop at these locations until they offer regular, petroleum fuel without the bio additive. It is common knowledge that the components that are subjected to diesel fuel in these engines prior to around 2003 were not designed for BioDiesel fuels. Therefore, I do not want to subject my expensive 2001 Dynasty ISC-350 engine to biodiesel fuels, regardless of the blend percentage. Nor do I want to add more additives to offset the negative effects of bio-diesel fuels. Further, there is less thermal energy in bio-diesel compared to regular diesel fuel.

As a result I now spend a little more time contacting potential fuel stops so I can plan my fuel stops based on anticipated locations where I can find regular petroleum diesel fuel without the BioDiesel additive. I was a little surprised, with assistance of internet search features, as to how easy it is to find fuel stops that have regular diesel fuel, and are adequately sized to accommodate large trucks and RVs with toads.

I am sure there will be some who question my judgement, but every one is entitled to their own opinions.

Jack
Old 07-15-2014, 04:37 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
I've not seen ANY evidence that biodiesel harms ANY diesel engines, especial as a blend with dinodiesel. 100% biodiesel works fine in most cases. The only problems reported (I've found) are some older TDI VWs that use 100% biodiesel then have to go back to ULSD diesel sometimes suffer seal leaks. The old formula of dinodiesel and 100% biodiesel tend to swell and keep seals tight, the ULSD does not and can allow fuel pumps to leak when switched back from biodiesel to ULSD.

The biodiesel cleans out crud in the tank that has perhaps built up over years, sometimes a filter change needs to be made after running a tank or two of 100% biodiesel.

Biodiesel also has more lubricating properties than ULSD so it prolongs mechanical parts of the fuel system. Using a blend of 5-10-15% biodiesel with ULSD seems to be better for the engine than pure ULSD.

That being said, Jack, you are certainly welcome to your beliefs. If you can provide links to information about the harm of biodiesel blends to pre 2003 diesel engines, I'd like to see it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:26 AM   #20

The damage was done to big trucking companies that contracted with Pilot/Flying J to purchase fuel. Now they're going to pay the price.

And the owner of Pilot/Flying J is the current Governor of Tennessee, Jimmy Haslem and his brother.

It sounds as if a bunch of their management were paid bonus', etc. based on sales and profits, as the 10 individuals coping a legal plea (mentioned above) were not Haslems--but management employees.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #21

Hard to make hard and fast rules. I know the prices from Gas Buddy before I get off the exit and look around for ease of entry and exit and choose the best for me. I don't mind paying a few cents more if it is easy in easy out. I really don't have any loyalty to any of them and in all likelihood will never be back.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvkiel View Post
Does Fj show their RV Island locations on their website? I'm new to the Class A DP RV life style, but am anxious to hit the road soon.

Thank you,

Download the Pilot/flying J app. The app has a travel part. It will list all stations on your route, if you click on the station it will give you all the info on the station to include pricing.
I use it for all my trips
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #23

I have been using Flying J/Pilot stations for years. I have always gotten my meager .03 per gallon discount. Now they are hooked up with Good Sam, so I suspect even more RVers will be going there now. I do base my fuel stops on their price. I always look at "Gas Buddy" before pulling into Flying J. On the other hand, I also use their overnight RV parking while traveling from point A to B. That being the case, I will purchase fuel, even at a higher price to "pay" for my over night stay.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:34 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
BFlinn181,
As mentioned in my initial post, I have been involved with Cummins and other major diesel engines and diesel fuels for a number of years and there are some definite side effects of using higher percentage biodiesel blends, especially in the older Cummins engines, ie older than 2002 of which would include the Cummins ISC350 in my 2001 Dynasty.

As you likely seen, there are many postings on various RV forums wherein it is discussed about the more recognizable obvious concerns, reduced fuel economy and fuel filter plugging, etc, but not much mention is made of the more serious side effects can slowly take place to the wetting components inside an engine and fuel system, including fuel pumps and especially hosing when using biodiesels that exceed the B5 blend threshold for pre-2002 Cummins engines.

As you requested, I have included a PDF document that includes a variety of extracts of information from various Cummins documentation that I found in doing some extensive internet searching that further supports my personal belief that it will continue to be to my advantage to search for fueling stops that continue to sell regular petroleum diesel fuel for my prior to 2002 Cummins engine.

Further, I knew this could be somewhat of a controversial & emotional topic but in my opinion there is significant evidence as documented in a variety of Cummins publications that further support and solidifies my concerns about using biodiesel in engines prior to 2002, as I had noted in my earlier posting.

Hope this information provides some of the answers you were looking for.

Have a great day and Happy RV'g

Jack
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Biodiesel Use in Cummins Engines.pdf (235.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 07-17-2014, 01:50 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
I had a FJ charge card for a few years, but never had the opportunity to use it.....Early this year I cancelled the account......I use gas buddy to find stations in the area where I am heading.....Hope all the folks that were ripped off get compensated fairly.