Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Use your cell phone, take a photo of the pump before you leave. Almost as good as a receipt.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I have only had the problem of not getting a receipt at the pump maybe twice and if it happens just park in the designated RV area or off in the truck area go inside tell the cashier the pump number you used and they'll print you a receipt on the spot. I always get a receipt before I leave. The pump printers do run out of paper once in a while.
I have used my Pilot account for a couple years with no problems whatsoever. Printers do run out of paper and as Steve said, no problem to go inside and get one. I do not use them all the time because I tend to find lower prices with Kroger, etc., but I do use them. Matter of convenience usually as has also been stated.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #17

Just a thought. If you went through the trucking lanes, this could have just been a hold placed on your charge card. Later, the actual charge would be posted. This is common at truck stops going through the trucking lanes when they all charge up close to a $1,000 with a fill up. I have had that happen several times, but just a temporary hold.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:44 AM   #18

First person that has to go inside because the printer is out of paper, should trigger the clerk to send someone out to refill.. that does not happen.
Way too many people in line at register.. Clerk is overworked, and understandably grumpy.
For these reasons I avoid Flyn J Just not worth the grief.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley1 View Post
BEWARE when buying fuel with your Pilot Card @ Flying J. We purchased fuel today in Fernley NV at Flying J 1005 for our RV using our Pilot Card for $216.00 and 45 minutes later a sale for over $762.00 was charged to our card at a totally different pump than the one we used.
Good Sam needs to do some homework here and check these folks out. RV Owners are requesting these cards because of Good Sam Stamp of approval. Needless to say our card will now be cut up! Been traveling for 15 years and this a first!
Wait until you get fuel at a no name place and that night you receive a text message that a charge of $3,000+ was just made at a place about 200 miles from you. AND while on the phone with Discover trying to get the card canceled you get another text message that your account has just been hit with another $2,000+ charge at the same location. I know what happened though...I left the card at the desk of the no name fuel station so they would turn on the pump. My bad and will never happen again but it does happen.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:52 AM   #20

Thanks for the information on Flying J phone number and Saturday hours. The Rep took all our information and said we would be called on Monday.

To answer some of the questions: Yes, we used a Pilot RV Card and we paid inside. We did go back and talk to the manager and her reply was "Sorry and here is a 800 number to call". She did give us a copy of the receipt for the larger purchase and it was at a totally different pump 40 minutes after we left.

Thank you for all your help and support.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
First person that has to go inside because the printer is out of paper, should trigger the clerk to send someone out to refill.. that does not happen.
Way too many people in line at register.. Clerk is overworked, and understandably grumpy.
For these reasons I avoid Flyn J Just not worth the grief.
I agree Tom,.........the magic word is AVOID, which I also do!
Old 08-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
As far as the so called high prices they charge I have yet to be to any locations that are within a penny or two of what other stations charge.
Maybe it's just the Southeast, but when diesel at truck stops were $3.79, we got it for $3.42 at Sam's Club in SC. This was in June.

We use gasbuddy.com before we hit the road.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Use your cell phone, take a photo of the pump before you leave. Almost as good as a receipt.
Dang good idea . I should have thought of that. Certainly better than going inside and standing in line.

Others recommend Kroger, Sam's, etc and we do fill up at Kroger when at home and would do so on the road. However, I have not seen any of those in our nearly 7,000 miles of travel that I could get into. And, I am not sure it is worth the time and effort to get off your planned route to find those places to save a few pennies per gallon.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Almost happened to me.. I do not have a credit card (Well I do but it's a store card and a tad cobbwebby since I have not used in like a decade or more, may not be good anymore (See have not used)...

I use debit cards

Placed an on line order, it was properly processed and shipped and received, then I got a call from my bank's fraud dept.. Confirmed it was legit, they told me that someone had tried to buy 500 worth of stuff from overseas using my card and that seemed a bit strange (5.00 yes, 500.00 no) of course since I do "Zero balance" checking (Well not really zero but let's say 5.00 would have bouced) the transaction was declined.

I have a new card now.

Friend and co-worker rented a car.. .Got the call from her bank... Turns out the rental agent had a brother, Agent xeroxed the card imprint and took it to his brother who then ordered a bunch of stuff.. UPS trainee who delivered goods was,,, In reality.. A Michigan State Police Trooper.. One hopes they learned their lesson as they both landed in front of a judge.

How do they do it:

Many will simply place a small device over the face of the card reader. This device is also a card reader.. They may also position a camera to catch you entering PIN or Zip code.. then they make up their own card from your info and ... Well, they have all they need.

This can happen at a gas station, or an ATM or just about anyplace where you "Insert and remove" your card. Harder to do on a swipe slot but I suspect still possible.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I just got a call from my credit union. While my bank card had not been compromised it had been used at a business that had just been compromised and since there have been something like over 1,000 businesses that have been compromised over the last year I can believe that. Well the whole point to the call was they were sending me a new card and wanted to verify the address since it looks a little weird (mailing service, lol) and wanted to make sure that I knew the old card would get turned off in 2 weeks and to keep checking to make sure no unauthorized charges came across my account and if that happened they would take care of it.

Thom's had not only his bank card but his credit card numbers taken at various gas stations and no he did not hand off the card he used it at the pump it never left his hand and even had all of his cards and ID stolen. All within the last 2 years. I am not even sure right now how many times he's had to get new cards, lol. ID theft can happen at any time and anywhere.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #26

We got skimmed at a restaurant. Waiter ran our debit/credit card for our food and then through a skimmer to get the card number. Sold all the numbers he acquired for a couple months to someone back east where they reproduced my card and emptied my bank accounts. Bank eventually figured out we weren't in New Jersey and shut the card off. A couple days later all our funds were returned. Not fun but a risk we all take in this digital life.
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:22 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor1920 View Post
We got skimmed at a restaurant. Waiter ran our debit/credit card for our food and then through a skimmer to get the card number. Sold all the numbers he acquired for a couple months to someone back east where they reproduced my card and emptied my bank accounts. Bank eventually figured out we weren't in New Jersey and shut the card off. A couple days later all our funds were returned. Not fun but a risk we all take in this digital life.
For this very reason, my credit card or debit card never leaves my hand. I have only had 1 restaurant tell me I could not come to the register with them in the past 2 years & we eat out quite a lot. I asked for the manager & then all was fine with me going to the register. I started this after my card was not returned to me when we were having party at a restaurant, I forgot to pick up my card. When I remembered the next day I called and cancelled it. There had not been any unauthorized charges & my card was in the safe at the restaurant. The manager told me they have a stack of cards that you can not hold in one hand. As we get older or busier we sometimes forget or get side tracked. It won't happen again, as far as someone watching me or electronically walking by me & scanning my card, I hope it doesn't happen , but the odds are against me.

The credit card companies make the merchant liable for something like 65% of the loss, if my memory serves me right. In Europe I understand they use a chip in their cards which is harder to duplicate or read. The CC companies in the USA say it will cost more than they lose, so they haven't yet adopted this policy. In the meantime we are stuck with fraudulent charges made to our accounts.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #28

Gulf Streamers Club
Interesting that this "Pilot/Flying J Scam WARNING" was posted by a 'newbie' with less than 10 postings. Seen this same type of thing, warning of cheating RV dealers, service centers, etc. by new folks that seem to want to warn everyone of an issue.

First, it's not a Scam, one crooked employee. Can't blame it on Pilot or Flying J, it can happen at ANY place that accepts credit cards. Credit cards limit your liability to $50 and often not even that when you contest the bogus charge. My cards are quick to notify me of any suspicious use. In fact, traveling last summer the card was 'frozen' 4 times for suspicious activity when it was us, traveling, buying large quantities of diesel. A phone call each time cleared it up.

Debit cards are a lot more tricky. When used they often add an additional hold on your account so they can be sure to get their payment. The merchant might not go to the bank immediately, so the hold, and any extra amount held can tie up your account for days. If you use a debit card a couple of times in one day, you might find it denied because the additional holds put on by each merchant has exceeded you bank account.

As to Kroger stores, they have over 2,400 store locations under many names. We can use our Kroger fuel discount at their fuel stations. In Ohio, we can reduce cost as much as $1 per gallon. I know in Denver at King Sooper we only get $.10 discount. Their grocery names include:

In addition, Kroger has over 780 convenience stores, 720 with fuel stations. They are under the names, Kwik Shop, Loaf ‘N Jug, Quik Stop, Tom Thumb, and Turkey Hill Minit Markets. If in doubt a store is a Kroger owned store, look on the shelves for Kroger brand items.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote