Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
OP please give us a update on the outcome with this issue. I use the RV plus card requiring the 4 digit code and always go inside afterwards to get a receipt printed out. If there is a scam I'm hoping it's corrected for you, but like many have said, could have happened anywhere.

Funny how when you mention Pilot/FlyingJ you always get those that seem to know what's best for YOU and where YOU should purchase your fuel!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #30

I know this could happen anywhere, but I would feel I got scammed like Bently1 did. Even when they went back in and the customer service they got was "heres a number to call"...Most likely some trucker probably got free gas, or it paid for the gas while somone pocketed the money. We've had this happen to the tune of $7,000 before it was stopped and it wasn't fun. Either way to to those who scolded Bently1 for putting out a scam alert, it is definately a scam by someone and they were just letting you know to be aware. I would bet if it happend to you, you wouldn't just say"oh well". Since we got burned I carry alot more cash to pay for gas and only use my credit card at the counter and pay for what I think I will need and do not leave my card with the clerk. Hope you get reimbersed Bently1...Good Luck
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #31

Flying J

My post about the Flying J was about one stations actions only and that is why that information was provided. It was not a blank statement about Flying J. It was simply to warn others.

We talked in person with the manager of that truck stop. She never offered to help or assist with a remedy. She did say she was sorry. Corp was already closed when we called.

To answer another question: We did use our four digit number at the pump and pay inside. The young lady did swiped our card twice because she seem to have a problem. I don't think that in its self is uncommon, but may have been in this case.

I have been a member of this forum for sometime and appreciated and used the information offered by its members. Over the years many of our travel problems have been answered here. I don't post until I have something of use to say!
Bentley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #32

Appalachian Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to GunnyClark
A little over a year ago I lost a visa credit card at FOB Sharana Afghanistan at the base bazaar - discovered it was missing within an hour contacted my wife and had her call Chase and report it as being missing and to cancel the card and have a new one issued - about a month later the wife gets a card from Chase - the missing card was used the night before at a hotel in Rhode Island (which for some reason they approved) and earlier the day they called and the reason for the call was someone tried to use it to buy a $98.00 inmate care package for a inmate at a prison in Mass.

I do not know the outcome but figured it would not be hard to find a relative of the inmate who happened to be based at Sharana when the card went missing.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #33

It can happen anywhere.

We've used Flying J more than most people (since when we lived in Wyoming it was our local fuel station for cars as well) and have never had an issue. But we've certainly gotten our card numbers stolen more in recent years. Moral of the story is that you should always have a card that you don't use whilst traveling as a 'backup' -- arguably, it should even be in your wallet/purse in case that gets stolen.

Steve
Old 08-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
if my memory serves me right. In Europe I understand they use a chip in their cards which is harder to duplicate or read. The CC companies in the USA say it will cost more than they lose, so they haven't yet adopted this policy. In the meantime we are stuck with fraudulent charges made to our accounts.
This is incorrect, I have two chipped credit cards. If you have had a credit card for a long time call your bank and ask for a chipped version. I know both Wells Fargo and Citibank have chipped cards.
Orangepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #35

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post
This is incorrect, I have two chipped credit cards. If you have had a credit card for a long time call your bank and ask for a chipped version. I know both Wells Fargo and Citibank have chipped cards.
It's not the expense of putting the chip in the card, it's upgrading EVERY credit card reader in the U.S. That's why we don't have the security of other nation's cards.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
It's not the expense of putting the chip in the card, it's upgrading EVERY credit card reader in the U.S. That's why we don't have the security of other nation's cards.
You may want to read this article. Cards will be chipped by October of next year and there will be liability shifts.

http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intel...n-credit-card/
Old 08-23-2014, 06:28 PM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangepeel View Post
You may want to read this article. Cards will be chipped by October of next year and there will be liability shifts.

October 2015: The End of the Swipe-and-Sign Credit Card - Corporate Intelligence - WSJ
Interesting article. Last time I read up on this topic the reason I gave was cited by the major CC issuers. With the mass fraud and CC security breaches, I understand the accelerated time line. That's good news for CC users. My 'antique' cards created extra steps on every transaction in Australia and New Zealand last February.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #38
Community Administrator

My new Visa is chipped. It's a pain to do at the register as you have to leave it in the machine till the transaction goes through. The clerks invariably punch something into their side prematurely and you have to start over. Hopefully they'll get used to it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #39

Pilot Flying J Scam WARNING!!!

I am betting once it becomes standard and both shoppers and clerks get used to the new method it will go smoothly.

I imagine there was a similar transition period from when cards went from carbon copy imprint to the current swipe method we use now. I barely remember the carbon copy imprint method when my mom went shopping.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #40

Pilot Flying J Scam WARNING!!!

Quote:
Interesting article. Last time I read up on this topic the reason I gave was cited by the major CC issuers. With the mass fraud and CC security breaches, I understand the accelerated time line. That's good news for CC users. My 'antique' cards created extra steps on every transaction in Australia and New Zealand last February.

Yup, we had the same issues in Tokyo a number of years ago. We also would also have fraud alerts on our Wells Fargo card every time we left our state. While I appreciate their vigilance it was a bit of a PITA since we live on the border of two states.
Since getting the chipped cards we have not had any more false fraud alerts.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:34 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Interesting that this "Pilot/Flying J Scam WARNING" was posted by a 'newbie' with less than 10 postings. Seen this same type of thing, warning of cheating RV dealers, service centers, etc. by new folks that seem to want to warn everyone of an issue.

First, it's not a Scam, one crooked employee. Can't blame it on Pilot or Flying J, it can happen at ANY place that accepts credit cards. Credit cards limit your liability to $50 and often not even that when you contest the bogus charge. My cards are quick to notify me of any suspicious use. In fact, traveling last summer the card was 'frozen' 4 times for suspicious activity when it was us, traveling, buying large quantities of diesel. A phone call each time cleared it up.

Debit cards are a lot more tricky. When used they often add an additional hold on your account so they can be sure to get their payment. The merchant might not go to the bank immediately, so the hold, and any extra amount held can tie up your account for days. If you use a debit card a couple of times in one day, you might find it denied because the additional holds put on by each merchant has exceeded you bank account.

As to Kroger stores, they have over 2,400 store locations under many names. We can use our Kroger fuel discount at their fuel stations. In Ohio, we can reduce cost as much as $1 per gallon. I know in Denver at King Sooper we only get $.10 discount. Their grocery names include:

In addition, Kroger has over 780 convenience stores, 720 with fuel stations. They are under the names, Kwik Shop, Loaf ‘N Jug, Quik Stop, Tom Thumb, and Turkey Hill Minit Markets. If in doubt a store is a Kroger owned store, look on the shelves for Kroger brand items.

Warning to Newbies, read above post !!!!!!!!! ( Somebody's not happy with Newbies )
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:41 AM   #42

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Warning to Newbies, read above post !!!!!!!!! ( Somebody's not happy with Newbies )
I love new folks, I just have noticed a pattern on many different forums on many topics. A person signs up to warn or complain about a business. It's often a one-sided tale and a bit over the top. This OP has done this, "Pilot Flying J Scam WARNING!!!" It's not a scam, by one definition as, "A fraudulent business scheme; a swindle." giving the idea it is a widespread practice of this business. This was a theft by one employee at one location. A warning is unnecessary, a person using a credit or debit card should always take precautions. No heightened awareness of problems at a Flying J than a wise person would take using credit/debit at any business, from the Waldorf to the 7/11.

The rest of my posting was to inform that Kroger has many stores, under many names, many of which participate in the fuel discount program. Another poster had wished he could use his Kroger fuel discount while traveling, I was just letting him, (and others) that it is possible.

Bob & Donna