Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #1

Unhappy Pilot Flying J Scam WARNING!!!

BEWARE when buying fuel with your Pilot Card @ Flying J. We purchased fuel today in Fernley NV at Flying J 1005 for our RV using our Pilot Card for $216.00 and 45 minutes later a sale for over $762.00 was charged to our card at a totally different pump than the one we used.
Good Sam needs to do some homework here and check these folks out. RV Owners are requesting these cards because of Good Sam Stamp of approval. Needless to say our card will now be cut up! Been traveling for 15 years and this a first!
Bentley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #2

Wow! Do you have a Pilot credit card? I have a Pilot card but its just for points.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #3

That's horrible and there is no way to now prove which pump you should of been charged on. Bad enough we get robbed by the high prices as it is. Thanks for the warning.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:41 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
It could have happened in your local 7/11 or any other store including your favorite Starbucks.

Don't go putting out a scam alert on something that could happen anywhere, and don't blame Flying j.

Bet you haven't called FJ yet and let them find out what happened.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the card from and a Pilot/ flying J account. I have never used them because if their high fuel prices.
Thank for the heads up !
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:23 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Credit card fraud can happen anywhere. It just can't be blamed on Flying J/Pilot. All it takes is a simple call and report the problem and I'm sure it will get resolved. Do you have your receipt????? If so it should be a no brainer and I'm sure they have video cameras around that could catch the person that did this.
As far as the so called high prices they charge I have yet to be to any locations that are within a penny or two of what other stations charge. Come on fuel lanes that are easy access, overnight parking (no charge) if you want to stay, convenience store if you need it, a restaurant if you don't want to cook something and just off the highway to accommodate you.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:28 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just for clarification, was the card you used the Pilot/Flying J RVPLUS Charge Card where you have to enter a 4 digit "Control Number" at the pump?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:31 AM   #8

Scam

I agree with Steve N Sal, can happen anywhere. My son had cash taken out of his account from a bank at their debit machine while he was using it. Someone put a small wireless camera to catch his password, and they had a scanner to remotely scan his card while in his hand. Bank took care of it. Jut let them know and show them your receipt and they will do what is right. Do not travel near to many Flying Js, but if their prices are comparable and you can park there, then who would not mind paying more for the convenience. Just my opinion. Or is that JMO? Peter
jaminman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
We have used our P/FJ Good Sam charge card for the past 3 months from east coast to west coast with no problems. However, the only thing I do not like about the process is not getting a printed receipt at the pump. I always write down the gallons and total price and it has always agreed with what appears on the statement. But I would like to get a receipt at time of sale.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Call the manager at Fernley (775) 575-5919

Corporate Office:
Pilot Travel Centers LLC
5508 Lonas Drive
Knoxville, TN 37909
1-800-562-6210
Customer Service Call Center
1-877-866-7378

We have extended our customer service call center hours to better serve you!
We're now open 8:00am - Midnight EST Monday - Saturday.

RV customer related questions/concerns can be emailed directly to rv@pilotflyingj.com.

For the OP did you swipe the card at the Truck or RV Pumps?
Or inside at desk.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
It could have happened in your local 7/11 or any other store including your favorite Starbucks.

Don't go putting out a scam alert on something that could happen anywhere, and don't blame Flying j.

Bet you haven't called FJ yet and let them find out what happened.
X2. Fraud, theft, error, but NOT a scam.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We have used our P/FJ Good Sam charge card for the past 3 months from east coast to west coast with no problems. However, the only thing I do not like about the process is not getting a printed receipt at the pump. I always write down the gallons and total price and it has always agreed with what appears on the statement. But I would like to get a receipt at time of sale.
I have only had the problem of not getting a receipt at the pump maybe twice and if it happens just park in the designated RV area or off in the truck area go inside tell the cashier the pump number you used and they'll print you a receipt on the spot. I always get a receipt before I leave. The pump printers do run out of paper once in a while.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:15 AM   #13

I agree with you. I can't tell you how many times I have filled up at a Pilot/Flying J and then gone down the road to find another station that was .02 cents less a gallon. Of course with my card I think I get .05 cents a gallon off the advertised price and a clean restaurant and clean bays and easy in and out and propane if I need it. But I suppose that there is no cost associated with those conveniences.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:22 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I have only had the problem of not getting a receipt at the pump maybe twice and if it happens just park in the designated RV area or off in the truck area go inside tell the cashier the pump number you used and they'll print you a receipt on the spot. I always get a receipt before I leave. The pump printers do run out of paper once in a while.
Well there are a lot of pumps with no paper then. We've bought nearly 900 gallons of fuel at Pilots and J's and none of them printed a receipt. Frankly, one of the main reasons I have the card is for the convenience of not having to go inside and stand in a line for a receipt when there is usually only one cashier.