Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Pitfalls of Depositing Checks in Your Bank ATM

Are you familiar with the convenience of depositing checks in your banks' ATM? In the past, I have used the feature a lot. However, I probably no longer will be using that convenience, because of what happened to me this week.

Some banks (not all), use a subcontractor (could be a separate division of the banks' corporate structure), to handle the ATM operations. This means that the local bank, itself has no authority to open the ATM.

I know this, because last Saturday, I deposited $1513.00 into my banks' ATM and got a receipt, which includes a picture of the check, plus the amount deposited. When I got home, I looked at the receipt a little closer and discovered that the amount deposited was only $13.00! I called the bank immediately and was told that they would investigate.

The following Monday, I went to the bank and was told that because they subcontract the ATM operations, it could be 10 days, before my deposited could be corrected! That's 10 working days, or two weeks! I complained to the manager, that it wasn't my error, but theirs! Finally, I was able to get them to give me a "temporary credit". However they are usually reluctant to do this, because it requires an employee (usually a bank VP), to go into the system DAILY, for 10 working days, (or until the investigation is complete), to reissue the temporary credit.

Just think how it would affect you, if that money was to be used in a purchase of an RV, a toad, etc., with time restrictions on closing. Just thought some of you might want to know! Wow, was I upset!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #2

I prefer to use my banks app, which lets me take a picture of the check. Saves the hassle of trying to get my vehicle through their drive-thru designed for a Fiat, and I still have the check in case something goes wrong. With mine, I can deposite up to $5k per day, and it's generally in my account by the next morning.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
I prefer to use my banks app, which lets me take a picture of the check. Saves the hassle of trying to get my vehicle through their drive-thru designed for a Fiat, and I still have the check in case something goes wrong. With mine, I can deposite up to $5k per day, and it's generally in my account by the next morning.
I use this with my bank - great use of technology!
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I was considering using the banks app until I took at look and the "terms". If anything went wrong and others gain access to my phone, I was responsible for everything.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #5

Why not have direct deposit??? I don't go to the bank except to get a check register.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #6

I have not been inside a bank in over 15 years, and have not used an ATM in over 10 years.

I pay bills with Bill-Pay.

I get cash with "cash back" at stores.

When I am sent or given a check as payment, I use my credit union photo app.

And I do it all with my iPhone!

Easy-peasy folks!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #7

We always deal exclusively with our bank on an over-the-counter basis. One day they made a BIG mistake by misplacing a decimal point to the tune of $50,000 in our favour. One of our kids in the banking business, assured me that they will NEVER discover the error; so we played along.

Four months later, when they still hadn't clued in, we decided it was time to pull their chain. One day while we were in the bank, we questioned the accuracy of the four month old deposit, and asked if they would check their records.

TD Bank: Sorry, but if you want us to check the records, it will cost you $28 per hour for us to go over past transactions and check our records!!

Me: Okay, nevermind; it's just that we have an extra $50,000 in our account that doesn't correspond with our records.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripper View Post
Are you familiar with the convenience of depositing checks in your banks' ATM? In the past, I have used the feature a lot. However, I probably no longer will be using that convenience, because of what happened to me this week.

I know this, because last Saturday, I deposited $1513.00 into my banks' ATM and got a receipt, which includes a picture of the check, plus the amount deposited. When I got home, I looked at the receipt a little closer and discovered that the amount deposited was only $13.00! I called the bank immediately and was told that they would investigate.

Just think how it would affect you, if that money was to be used in a purchase of an RV, a toad, etc., with time restrictions on closing. Just thought some of you might want to know! Wow, was I upset!
When I make a deposit at an ATM, I have to enter the amount of the deposit and then verify it before I can insert the envelope. Doesn't sound like the bank did anything wrong except not take your word about your error.

Back in 1974 I deposited a check at an ATM and the bank claimed I didn't put the envelope in the slot. I asked that we look at the videotape. The manager and I agreed it Looked like I'd put the envelope in, so the manager checked the machine. Turned out the envelope had gone in the machine and fallen beneath the drawer. Didn't make me stop using ATMs.

The other day we ate at a fast food restaurant. When I paid, the amount was $8.08. I handed over a $10 and then fished in my pocket for the $.08. Meanwhile the lady had entered the $10 and the cash register had computed my change. With the $.08 in her hand, she looked for a minute like a deer caught in the headlights then handed me 2 dollars and 2 dimes in change. I just smiled and said, "Thanks." There's no fixing stupid.

Everyone makes mistakes, Remember; Every time they try to make something idiot proof, God makes better idiots. It's not worth getting upset about.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan.Birch View Post
We always deal exclusively with our bank on an over-the-counter basis. One day they made a BIG mistake by misplacing a decimal point to the tune of $50,000 in our favour. :
Cool!
That buy you that Newmar?
Your drivers license good in florida yet?

Old 10-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Used to use an ATM machine in front of a credit union. Requested $200 one day and it made some noises and then printed a receipt that stated it gave me $200. Nothing had come out.

Went into the credit union when it opened the next day and talked to the manager. He didn't even apologize, just said contact my bank where my debit card was from.

Went to my bank and did all the paperwork and then it took two weeks for my bank to credit the $200 back to my account.
I get cash back now every time I go to the store, no more ATM's for me.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Cool!

That buy you that Newmar?

Your drivers license good in florida yet?
Dave, you are SOOOOOO BAD!!

Nothwithstanding: Not wanting to keep you in suspense; we have finally settled on a Newmar Bay Star 3308, the two chesterfield thingy, and are currently in the process of filing out the final order/option sheet.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
I tried that, but my bank, has a $1000 limit per day. Doesn't do me any good.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
New scam I was notified about, this did not happen to me... yet, hopefull I will be alert enough to check. I like to use the self checkouts when I go to WM anyway....

PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR RECEIPTS - THIS IS IMPORTANT
AS YOU START YOUR SHOPPING FOR THE CHRISTMAS SEASON
CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS BEFORE LEAVING ANY CASHIER'S STATION!!!!!

THIS SCAM CAN BE DONE ANYWHERE, AT ANY RETAIL OR WHOLESALE LOCATION!!!

It happened at a Wal-Mart Supercenter a month ago.

I bought a bunch of stuff, over $150, & I glanced at my receipt as the cashier was handing me the bags. I saw a cash-back of $40. I told her I didn't request a cash back & to delete it.
She said I'd have to take the $40 because she couldn't delete it. I told her to call a supervisor.

Supervisor came & said I'd have to take it! I said NO! Taking the $40 would be a cash advance against my Discover & I wasn't paying interest on the cash advance!!!!! If they couldn't delete it then they would have to delete the whole order.
So the supervisor had the cashier delete the whole order & rescan everything!

The second time I looked at the electronic tab before I signed & a cash-back of $20 popped up. At that point I told the cashier & she deleted it.

The total came out right. the cashier agreed that the electronic pad must be defective. (yeah, right!)

Obviously the cashier knew the electronic pad wasn't defective because she NEVER offered me the $40 at the beginning.
Can you imagine how many people went through before me & at the end of her shift how much money she pocketed?

Just to alert everyone. My coworker went to Milford , DE Wal-Mart last week. She had her items rung up by the cashier. The cashier hurried her along and didn't give her a receipt.

She asked the cashier for a receipt and the cashier was annoyed and gave it to her.
My coworker didn't look at her receipt until later that night. The receipt showed that she asked for $20 cash back. SHE DID NOT ASK FOR CASH BACK!

My coworker called Wal-Mart who investigated but could not see the cashier pocket the money. She then called her niece who works for the bank and her niece told her This is a new scam. The cashier will key in that you asked for cash back and then hand it to her friend who is the next person in line.

Please, please, please check your receipts right away when using credit or debit cards!

This is NOT limited to Wal-Mart, although they are the largest retailer so they have the most incidents.

I am adding to this.... My husband and I were in Wal-Mart North Salisbury and paying with a credit card. When my husband went to sign the credit card signer, he just happened to notice there was a $20 cash back added. He told the cashier that he did not ask nor want cash back and she said this machine has been messing up and she canceled it.
We didn't think anything of it until we read this email.

I wonder how many "seniors" have been, or will be, "stung" by this one????

BEFORE LEAVING THE CASHIER'S STATION!!!!!
CHECK YOUR RECEIPT
BEFORE LEAVING THE STAND. I'VE SEEN PEOPLE DO JUST THAT. NOW I'LL START!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To reiterate... I am just passing this along, it did not happen to me... but this conversation reminded me of this new scam.
MartySQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #14

Sorry Martha and Bob. This is false stuff that has been on emails since 2004. Now is on Facebook too.

There are too many customer selection and approval points in the process to allow an error that easily.

However, it us certainly wise to review your receipt. I always have!

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/atm/cashback.asp

http://urbanlegends.about.com/librar..._cash_back.htm