Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2012, 09:59 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
If we want manufacturing to come back to the USA, we will have to do what it takes to make the USA the best place (from a business perspective) to set up factories. Reducing the corporate tax rate to 0% would be a start. Eliminating the federally mandated minimum wage would be another step. Are we willing to do what it takes?

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
(moderator edit)

Businesses move operations to other countries for one reason: because it makes good business sense to do so.

If Acme Co. can shave $1 per widget off their costs by closing a widget factory in Dayton, OH and opening one in Monterrey, Mexico, they would be remiss to fail to do so.

On the other hand, politicians DO affect jobs by making the USA a harsh environment for business. Want to blame a politician for sending jobs out of the country? Look at the ones who made the USA's tax and regulatory environment for business the worst in the world.

Businesses are not in business to provide jobs. They are in business to make money. There are those who demonize them for doing so. I think those people are misguided. If you want more jobs, you have to embrace business, not demonize it.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
(moderator edit)

Now on the OP question and the point of this thread. It's late in the game, but things can change it will just take more time and the dedication of the consumer
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

OK folks, I have deleted and edited a number of posts for being far too political. Hopefully we all know better so let's keep in objective and on topic.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I look at everything I buy and I buy American on everything I can, what I can't,,,,well either I do without or I bend over.
Just bought a new flag pole for at the house,,,American made flying an American made flag!
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
I do!

Well, when possible, anyway..

On that note, some tips:

"Made in the U.S.A." is an important marketing tool right now, so companies use it whenever they can. If no country of origin is listed, the product was more than likely made elsewhere.

Also:
Perhaps unbelievably, "made in America" is not the same thing as "made in the U.S.A.".

Products made/assembled in such territories as American Samoa qualify to be labeled as "America made", but those economies as more similar to China's than to ours in the United States.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
I do!

Well, when possible, anyway..

On that note, some tips:

"Made in the U.S.A." is an important marketing tool right now, so companies use it whenever they can. If no country of origin is listed, the product was more than likely made elsewhere.

Also:
Perhaps unbelievably, "made in America" is not the same thing as "made in the U.S.A.".

Products made/assembled in such territories as American Samoa qualify to be labeled as "America made", but those economies as more similar to China's than to ours in the United States.
I'd imagine Canadian made products could be Made In America. Columbian, Mexican, etc. All American made. Pretty much any country in North or South America could put 'Made in America' on their goods, I'd think.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I had heard a long time ago, and I'm not even sure if it is tru or not, but I heard that there was an island purchased and it was renamed USA. So anything that was sold there was legitimately made in USA. I don't imagine that is true or we would have heard more about it.
Has anyone heard that same story?
Old 07-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #23

COLA - Country of Origin Labeling Act - says all food products must list the correct Country of Origin. This has been law for a long time but the largest retailer in the world chose to ignore it while they paid the lobbyists to try and get it changed, which ultimately failed, a law is a law.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #24

snopes.com: Made in USA
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonchase View Post
I had heard a long time ago, and I'm not even sure if it is tru or not, but I heard that there was an island purchased and it was renamed USA. So anything that was sold there was legitimately made in USA. I don't imagine that is true or we would have heard more about it.
Has anyone heard that same story?
Edit OOPS!
I see someone beat me to it with the Snopes link!
Like it says there, that rumor is probably based on one that was around years ago (post- WWII) about a Japanese town called "Usa" (its longtime name).

snopes.com: Made in USA

That same Snopes article also notes, though, that the Mariana Islands actually are allowed to use the "made in U.S.A." label AND export to the U.S. duty free!
Old 07-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Uniforms for U.S. Olympic athletes are American red, white and blue -- but made in China.
Saw that as well. What a complete shame. Made by Ralph Lauren.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How would I classify this one? :
I bought Frozen Wild Alaska Flounder fillets at samsclub .. When I read the package at home, it said Caught in USA , Filleted and packaged in china .. what is up with that? Unless the processing ship was in Chinese waters.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #28

Our RV's are as close to a truly American made product as you can buy except for your house. Except for the TV's & radio almost everything in my motorhome is mfg'd, fabricated & assembled in the US. I am glad that it provided work for so many Americans!