Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Its NEVER too late to do the right thing.
x100

If we're going down, I'm going down swingin'. It's not easy buying "made in the USA" products sometimes, but I'm going to look more than I already do thanks to this little reminder.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #58
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark
Here's another source for 100% made in America. http://keepamerica.com/shop/

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #59

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I belive there are plenty of vehilces out just as much or more american than the camery or accord.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Belief is fine and you're entitled to believe anything you want. When you have some facts such as I cited, get back to me, OK?

Rusty
Did you read past the first sentance of my post?
The FACT is The Domestic Content sticker on the windows of new vehicles tells everything EXCEPT where the profits go.

Buying an automobile with large percentage of domestic content a good way to boost U.S. economy - The Denver Post

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/liv...bypercent1.pdf
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #60

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Did you read past the first sentance of my post?
The FACT is The Domestic Content sticker on the windows of new vehicles tells everything EXCEPT where the profits go.

Buying an automobile with large percentage of domestic content a good way to boost U.S. economy - The Denver Post

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/liv...bypercent1.pdf
Ummm.....yep, but buying high American content pays the American workers who assemble it and who manufacture the component parts that go into it, the tools that go into the plants, etc. It also pays the taxes on the assembly plants, the utility bills to run them and puts that local money back into the community.

If you want to make a play on the profits, buy some TM (NYSE) or HMC (NYSE).

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #61

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
As frustrating as it may be, if your potential customers are choosing based on low price, they evidently do not put near the value on this sentiment as you do. If your consumers opt for lower price, then that is what, to them, is more valuable than the fact that your product is better or that you live down the street. I had to learn the hard way that my businesses were not there to produce and sell the products I wanted to, but rather the products consumers would buy - there many times was a big difference.

Given two products equal in value and quality, I will buy the local one. I will not, however, pay more for local or buy extra product features that are not important to me.
Hi Jzick .. well said, and I do agree.

In just about every business there is a 600lb Gorilla that, due to its size, has the ability to change the complexion of, dominate and set the tone and pricing for that industry. In racing, it's NASCAR, inside NASCAR it's Dale Earnhardt Jr, in web hosting it's GoDaddy.

While we provide a great product and exceptional service, we're certainly not unique and MUST provide, sell and educate consumers on the value of exceptional service and support. What we, and other small businesses like us have an uphill battle with - especially with today's economic climate - is that customers *in general* value service less and price more. I won't say that I am any different, I'm certainly always looking for the best value for our dollars.

To this point, we certainly have - and continue to listen to our current and prospective customers to make sure that we're providing products and services that are relative to TODAY'S market. Along with that, we have to continue to find ways to reduce overhead so that we can weather changes in profit margins.

At the end of the day, we have to be just as good - if not BETTER - on the sales end, than we are on the delivery and support of products.

Would I love to be the 600lb gorilla ... certainly! It would mean a lot more zero's in the bank account, and surely a Newell Coach in the driveway

Good conversation, thanks for your opinion and insight
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
So....you would feel comfortable flying a Canadian flag made in China? I think you're missing the point of the OP's post.
Yes I would feel very comfortable and proud to fly the Canadian flag regardless of where it was manufactured. As far as missing the OPs point, I'm pretty sure I got it. I think you got my point to but simply don't agree with it. Thats the beauty of free market and freedom of expression.......
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #63

I have noticed lately that some products say ROC (Republic of China) instead of Made in China. Guess some in China have noticed that some people do check labels. So look for the "ROC" label.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

I absolutely refuse to buy any food products from China. I live on the Gulf Coast, and recently in the Walmart frozen foods department a package of "Broussard's Crawfish Tails" revealed that it is a product of China. What???? There are crawfish farms all over this area.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #65

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
I have noticed lately that some products say ROC (Republic of China) instead of Made in China. Guess some in China have noticed that some people do check labels. So look for the "ROC" label.
That label is for goods made on the island of Taiwan, formerly known as "Nationalist China", more recently "The Republic of China". They were sort of the "good guys" during the Cultural Revolution, etc.- at least as far as the West was concerned.
It's still a sort of code for "we're not exactly Communists..."

The Country of China itself is "The People's Republic of China".

See Taiwan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #66

One of the reasons I buy AMSOIL...American made by an American family owned company!
Damon Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
Hi Jzick .. well said, and I do agree.

In just about every business there is a 600lb Gorilla that, due to its size, has the ability to change the complexion of, dominate and set the tone and pricing for that industry. In racing, it's NASCAR, inside NASCAR it's Dale Earnhardt Jr, in web hosting it's GoDaddy.

While we provide a great product and exceptional service, we're certainly not unique and MUST provide, sell and educate consumers on the value of exceptional service and support. What we, and other small businesses like us have an uphill battle with - especially with today's economic climate - is that customers *in general* value service less and price more. I won't say that I am any different, I'm certainly always looking for the best value for our dollars.

To this point, we certainly have - and continue to listen to our current and prospective customers to make sure that we're providing products and services that are relative to TODAY'S market. Along with that, we have to continue to find ways to reduce overhead so that we can weather changes in profit margins.

At the end of the day, we have to be just as good - if not BETTER - on the sales end, than we are on the delivery and support of products.

Would I love to be the 600lb gorilla ... certainly! It would mean a lot more zero's in the bank account, and surely a Newell Coach in the driveway

Good conversation, thanks for your opinion and insight
You are correct, and one of the best ways to reduce overhead is to cut out as many human employees as possible, reduce the wages, eliminate health care and retirement benefits for those that don't take an early buy-out. And then next quarter when you're told your quality has slumped and your prices are still out of line, sell your brandname to an importer, close up the plant, and go into politics.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble View Post
You are correct, and one of the best ways to reduce overhead is to cut out as many human employees as possible, reduce the wages, eliminate health care and retirement benefits for those that don't take an early buy-out. And then next quarter when you're told your quality has slumped and your prices are still out of line, sell your brandname to an importer, close up the plant, and go into politics.
There IS an alternative, a person can always become an uninformed ass!

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #69

Quote:
one of the best ways to reduce overhead is to cut out as many human employees as possible, reduce the wages, eliminate health care and retirement benefits for those that don't take an early buy-out.
Good business owners and managers know that this is not a good plan. Having hard working employees with a good work ethic is the key to being a successful business. Your plan is short term thinking and is rarely successful. Now there is no requirement to provide healthcare, but most companies do to recruit and retrain great people. Employees generally have the option of taking the healthcare options that they need and skipping the ones they don't need. Business owners are not the enemy, they are the solution.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #70

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well said, Lindsay
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote