Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #43

National RV Owners Club
I lived and worked in the US Virgin Islands (a US territory) for over five years. There may be a little misunderstanding of who is a US Citizen. I copied this from wikipedia:
By acts of Congress, every person born in Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, and the Northern Mariana Islands is a United States citizen by birth.[31] Also, every person born in the former Panama Canal Zone whose father or mother (or both) are or were a citizen is a United States citizen by birth.[32]
Other acts of Congress provide for acquisition of citizenship by persons born abroad.[33]
There is a small class of American Samoans, born in American Samoa, including Swains Island, who are nationals but not citizens of the United States,[34]

So if you are buying products from these places you are supporting US Citizens but not necessarily the US economy.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray ghost View Post
I was wrong about the citizenship, but being a US National is a far cry from being a foreigner. I brought up Puerto Rico because they are also a territory, are their own taxing authority, so residents do not pay federal income tax. There are many territories, they all have the right to place "Made in the USA" labels on goods manufactured in their territory. But since they also have citizens in our active military and reserve and national guard units located on their islands, I think that is entirely proper.

Short civics/linguistics lesson:

--- The "U.S.A." is a political and economic unit made up of a confederation of States. Hence the moniker The United STATES of America.

---There are fifty States.

---Only products manufactured/assembled in one of those fifty States has been "Made in the U.S.A."

The several territories are free to petition for Statehood if they want to join this Union and assume the same responsibilities as those that are borne by citizens of the other Fifty States . (Including wage/hour/working conditions/taxation laws, which are the real dividing lines between economies, and the basis for the unlevel playing field that's proving so daunting for industries here in the
United STATES of America. )

Until the assumption of these and all other responsibilities of Statehood, products from the territories can only truthfully be labeled as "Made in America", which I think was my original point.

As for the "military service" argument- say what???? I'm mystified as to what this has to do with product labeling....
BUT
By this logic individuals' service in the U.S. military entitles their birthplace to use a "made in the U.S.A." label. Please consider this chart showing the place-of-origin breakdown of immigrants serving in the various forces as of 2008 (approximately 65,000 troops):

Chart Source: http://www.migrationinformation.org/...lay.cfm?ID=683

Just about anyone can enlist in the all-volunteer American Military, regardless of citizenship. Only legal residency is required, whether by birth, immigration, "American National" status, or even by out-of-Country recruitment by the Military itself. This last only requires a declaration by the Pentagon that nationals from certain Countries/areas are necessary to the Forces for one reason or another. There's been a bit of an uptick in that department since 9/11, especially as regards personnel from Middle Eastern countries. (See: Military may Recruit Foreigners
and
Army Recruiting Soldiers That Can Speak Native Middle Eastern Languages | ABC 6 WJBF-TV)
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am well aware that anyone who is either a legal resident or citizen of the US can enlist in the Armed Services. (I have attended Basic Training graduations in support of former Iraqi translators.)

The difference is that when you go Samoa, or Puerto Rico, or the Virgin Islands you can see US Army National Guard armories and US Army Reserve Training Centers. And the units that are stationed at those facilities have deployed in support of the present conflicts. Oh, and we have military recruiters who work in those territories, whereas we don't have them in foreign countries. We entered into WWII because the Japanese attacked a US territory (Hawaii). In a story filed in March of 2006, MSNBC reported that American Samoa had the highest per capita KIA rate of any US State or Territory. So, they fly the US flag, have US military units home based there, use US currency, do not have to get a visa to enter "States", and in general have most of the rights and privileges granted to citizens, so in my opinion, I would say that they should be able to use the label.

Oh, and if we are going to exclude the territories because they aren't states, do we also exclude the District of Columbia?
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #46

I don't think they actually make anything in Washington, DC except rules.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

They make a big mess.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #48

Solo Rvers Club
My MH is so American, it's named after some of the 'original' native peoples of this country -- the Itascas. And the manufacturer is named after the Winnebagos.... How American can you get?? Uh-Ohhh, wait... don't look at my toad....
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Admirable, but I am afraid its a little too little, and a little too late. Just my opinion of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav5942 View Post
Way to late!!!!
Its NEVER too late to do the right thing.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
Hi Dick ... I am going to rebut your statement and suggest that consumers do look to and support their local businesses. I too have been a part of WAY too many corporate buyouts, and always got stuck with the short straw -- contrary to what you may read - sweat equity in a tech company does not equal riches!

After the last corporate buyout, the DW and I used all our savings to buy back part of the company that was just sold - a division that over years we had worked hard to build in revenues, customer trust and excellence.

It's been almost 6 years now, and we're still fighting an uphill battle competing against giants in the industry that have the ability to undercut pricing, provide marginal service and yet still sell their companies for billions.

We belong to many local business associations, groups, etc .. but time after time end users seem to be looking for the cheapest solution. Our local business association has a great tagline - "Support the businesses that Support Southbury" and I feel that is a great statement.

We support local business, local funds and provide a great rock-solid platform and service and we *KNOW* all our customers by name.

When you support a local business you're not helping another CEO to get another vacation home, luxury car or stock options - you're supporting a family in your community.
Well stated! We totally agree with your statement. We will pay more if we can buy a product made in the USA or America. I guess we both feel like we can't seem to control what the politions do and say; but we can d something and that is to support our local business! It does make a difference.

If we give up hope what is left?
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:25 PM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Did anyone happen to notice in the news over the past few weeks what a study proclaimed as the MOST AMERICAN car available as measured by American content (including labor)? The Toyota Camry. The Honda Accord placed second. Source article.

The moral of this is that BUYING AMERICAN requires one to scratch beneath surface appearances.

Rusty
I belive there are plenty of vehilces out just as much or more american than the camery or accord.
The way to really tell is to look for the Domestic content sticker or its section in the regular window sticker.
It shows the US/Canada parts and labor content as a percentage of the total. It also shows engine and trans contry of orgin since they are a large part of the money content.

Many consumers are mislead by advertising. (no shock there)
I have seen Hynd ads showing one of thier american built vehicles. I have spoken with people who thing that all hynd models are built here when in fact Last I saw it is 3 models out of the 11 they sell are built here.
One of my co wokers was shocked to find out his Chevy aveo was built in Korea. He said he thought it was a american car becasue it was a chevy.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #52

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Its NEVER too late to do the right thing.

If by "doing the right thing", you mean one should purchase made in USA products, I do so when possible. But the plain fact is, made in USA products are not available in many, many cases. My next door neighbor owns and operates two True Value hardware franchises in two adjoining towns. I would bet upwards of 70% of the products sold in these stores are imported, not made in the USA at all. Even name brand products that have been around for decades are manufactured abroad, and have been for many many years. I mention this, because I was there yesterday shopping for some parts to repair and maintain my lawn sprinklers. Guess where the parts I purchased were manufactured? If you guessed China, you are correct.
As I have said before, if one insists on using and purchasing only goods that were produced in the USA, get used to doing without, cause they just aren't available for purchase.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #53

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I belive there are plenty of vehilces out just as much or more american than the camery or accord.
Belief is fine and you're entitled to believe anything you want. When you have some facts such as I cited, get back to me, OK?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Admirable, but I am afraid its a little too little, and a little too late. Just my opinion of course.
It's never to late for us to make changes, even a small one can lead to bigger things. We try to buy AMERICAN as often as we can. While on our vacation, I think (in CA alone) 1 out of 10 cars was American brands. Just think what we could do we'd buy home products.

When in a store in OR to purchase food, we grew up on wildgame in my family, my brother an I saw "Rabbit" so we got one for lunch...ON THE PACKAGE IT SAID..."A PRODUCT OF CHINA" WOW...We can't even grow rabbits anymore!
Old 07-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #55

Quote:
We belong to many local business associations, groups, etc .. but time after time end users seem to be looking for the cheapest solution. Our local business association has a great tagline - "Support the businesses that Support Southbury" and I feel that is a great statement.

We support local business, local funds and provide a great rock-solid platform and service and we *KNOW* all our customers by name.
As frustrating as it may be, if your potential customers are choosing based on low price, they evidently do not put near the value on this sentiment as you do. If your consumers opt for lower price, then that is what, to them, is more valuable than the fact that your product is better or that you live down the street. I had to learn the hard way that my businesses were not there to produce and sell the products I wanted to, but rather the products consumers would buy - there many times was a big difference.

Given two products equal in value and quality, I will buy the local one. I will not, however, pay more for local or buy extra product features that are not important to me.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Made in America Store
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote