Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Please buy American!

Folks, I have copied an email to this thread for all to peruse. It makes one think.

I DIDN'T KNOW HALLMARK CARDS WERE MADE IN CHINA ! That is also why I don't buy cards at Hallmark anymore, They are made in China and are more expensive! I buy cards at Dollar Tree - 50 cents each and made in USA

I have been looking at the blenders available on the Internet. Kitchen Aid is MADE IN the US. Top of my list already...

Yesterday I was in Wal-Mart looking for a wastebasket. I found some made in China for $6.99. I didn't want to pay that much so I asked the lady if they had any others. She took me to another department and they had some at 2.50 made in USA . They are just as good. Same as a kitchen rug needed.
I had to look, but I found some made in the USA - what a concept! - and they were 3.00 cheaper.

We are being brainwashed to believe that everything that
comes from China and Mexico is cheaper.

Not so. One Light Bulb at a Time... I was in Lowe's the other day and just out of curiosity, I looked at the hose attachments. They were all made in China .
The next day I was in Ace Hardware and just for the heck of it I checked the hose attachments there.

They were made in USA . Start looking, people. In our current economic situation, every little thing we buy or do affects someone else - most often, their job.

My grandson likes Hershey's candy.

I noticed, though, that it is now marked "made in Mexico .
I don't buy it anymore. My favorite toothpaste Colgate is made in Mexico ... now I have switched to Crest..

You have to read the labels on everything.

This past weekend I was at Kroger. I needed 60W light bulbs and Bounce dryer sheets. I was in the light bulb aisle, and right next to the GE brand I normally buy -- was an off-brand labeled, "Everyday Value." I picked up both types of bulbs and compared them: they were the same except for the price. The GE bulbs cost more than the Everyday Value brand, but the thing that surprised me the most was that that
GE was made in MEXICO and the Everyday Value brand was made in - you guessed it - the USA at a company in Cleveland, Ohio.
It' s Way past time to start finding and buying products you use every day that are made right here.

So, on to the next aisle: Bounce Dryer Sheets yep, you guessed it, Bounce cost more money and is made in Canada . The Everyday Value brand cost less, and was MADE IN THE USA! I did laundry yesterday and the dryer sheets performed just like the Bounce Free I have been using for years, at almost half the price. My challenge to you is to start reading the labels when you shop for everyday things and see what you can find that is made in the USA - the job you save may be your own or your neighbors!

If you accept the challenge, pass this on to others in your address book so we can all start buying American, one light bulb at a time!

Stop buying from overseas companies - you're sending the jobs there. (We should have awakened a decade ago....)
Let's get with the program and help our fellow Americans keep their jobs and create more jobs here in the USA..
I passed this on will you?
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #2

Sadly, many American companies are owned by foreign interests, so Made in USA doesn't mean the money stays here.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:16 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble View Post
Sadly, many American companies are owned by foreign interests, so Made in USA doesn't mean the money stays here.

maybe true in some cases, but the workers are still here.

I'll admit that i don't always do my due diiagance on all products, but I do try, good points made by OP
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:19 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble View Post
It really does not matter much who owns the company so long as manufacturing work is paid for to workers here in the US and thus gets back into our economy.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Admirable, but I am afraid its a little too little, and a little too late. Just my opinion of course.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:48 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I try to buy American made products as much as possible. A little extra on the price is fine but as in the OP I see many times our products are actually less money and almost always better quality.

I have been buying Sperry Topsider shoes and flip flops for years. After they started making them in China the price certainly did not go down but the quality sure did. To quote Jimmy Buffet I "blew out my flip flop" too many times. Googled made in USA flip flops and found Okabashi. Yup sounds oriental but they are made in Georgia and come with a 2 year warranty. Maybe not as fancy looking as the Sperrys but tough and about 1/3 the price.

So yes, look at the label and save/make some work here!
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbs2320 View Post
It really does not matter much who owns the company so long as manufacturing work is paid for to workers here in the US and thus gets back into our economy.
Agreed, jobs are jobs. And it will take a lot more foreign investment to get us out of this slump we're in. I just get aggravated so many people think this is a recent phenomenon that happened within the last 2-3 years, when it's been going on for the last 20+ years.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Did anyone happen to notice in the news over the past few weeks what a study proclaimed as the MOST AMERICAN car available as measured by American content (including labor)? The Toyota Camry. The Honda Accord placed second. Source article.

The moral of this is that BUYING AMERICAN requires one to scratch beneath surface appearances.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #9

If "Buying Made in the USA" stuff makes your emotional condition improve, then by all means do it, but in reality it makes no difference in the least bit, emotions excepted!

This is a global economy and there is no going back unless we go back to times prior to jumbo aircraft/super ship carrier time periods.

All this does not stop me from patronizing some small American factories and their products, but not if they are Unionized, or vastly overpriced.

Ed
USN Ret.
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Uniforms for U.S. Olympic athletes are American red, white and blue -- but made in China.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Our answer to that is why?
Sightseer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #12

Way to late!!!!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
If "Buying Made in the USA" stuff makes your emotional condition improve, then by all means do it, but in reality it makes no difference in the least bit, emotions excepted!

This is a global economy and there is no going back unless we go back to times prior to jumbo aircraft/super ship carrier time periods.

All this does not stop me from patronizing some small American factories and their products, but not if they are Unionized, or vastly overpriced.

Ed
USN Ret.

Here Here !

Wake up people..... (moderator edit)

Next you'll be saying we should be buying these American Made Products at a Mom and Pop Store. Well if you want there useless son promoted and made wealthy over your head and not have any benifits to speak of, absolute min. vacation time, non paid overtime, with all the profits raked off into a private account than support your local Mom and Pop outfit. Thank god the one I worked for was bought out by a large company or I wouldn't have been ablet to retire..... ever..... But rest assured the Pop of the outfit got filthy rich while the rest of us got a new boss.

Dick
Old 07-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #14

While I agree it is very late in the game and many jobs are not coming back, LISTEN to eh op, do your part, it is NOT too late, we can make a difference but we have to care enough to read labels, comparison shop etc. Whats wrong with unions (I know the whole story and sure they got way overboard) that does not have similar transgressions by management. It really does take both to balance out the equation between management and worker, owner and labor. Well, blast away, I have thick skin and all of this is only my opinion anyway.

(moderator edit)