Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Here's another example:

We can't talk about this here either, but it OK to advertise it here? In this case, I was logged in, so hypocrisy isn't just for guests anymore .
You can totally get rid of the ads on the right hand side...

1. Click on User CP
2. Click on Edit Options under Settings & Options
3. Scroll all the way to the bottom to Miscellaneous Options
4. Click the button beside OFF under Turn off Right Column

Presto, right hand column and the ads that are displayed there are gone.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #30
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's very difficult to understand if you chose not to do so.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Here's another example:

Attachment 16506

We can't talk about this here either, but it OK to advertise it here? In this case, I was logged in, so hypocrisy isn't just for guests anymore .
Don't you think it's pretty cool. Your cookies cause that you see gun ads. My cookies cause that I don't.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Why is it so hard to understand? Google purchases blank ad space. They don't even know what the selling host's (iRV2's or anyone else's) rules are. When you see the offending message, just consider the source - if it's not iRV2, then it can't be hypocrisy (two conflicting statements or actions by the same group or individual).
Google gives webmasters the ability to specify ads that are not allowed on their site. If iRV2 is going to ban topics for discussion, they should also tell Google those categories are prohibited. Not hard to understand at all. If your webmaster needs help understanding, my consulting rates are reasonable.

Google has to give these controls to webmaters. Imagine seeing ads for KMart while browsing the WalMart site. You won't, because WalMart would have told Google not to display competitors ads. (Maybe a bad example, I'm not sure WalMart uses google ads, but the point is the same.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
If one hangs around gun forums or gun-related topics, the tracking cookies will trigger gun-related ads from Google. How exactly is that iRV2's fault?
Rusty
I have never (ever one time) visited a gun forum or googled gun-related topics on this PC (it's my work PC), other than the conversations I have had here. Google is pervasive, and I don't doubt they have gleaned my gun advocacy somehow and stored it in their database. That's what they do, and they do it better than anyone.

I'm done harping on this. If iRV2 wants to take the position that topics of discussion that are RELEVANT to the focus of this forum should be BANNED just because they are difficult to moderate, that is iRV2's prerogative, and they are well within their rights to do so. I think its lazy, and a disservice to the RVing community.

Just my $0.02
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:04 PM   #33

Jayco Owners Club
These are not your grannies cookies.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Put Ghostery on your computer and you won't see anything.
Ghostery only blocks trackers, you need Ghostery + Ad Block Plus on Firefox. Those two together make the web a far better place.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #35

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
It is most likely "tracking" cookies. Some browsers have provisions of telling advertisers to not track. One of them is Firefox. Also, adblock is a Firefox plug-in that blocks those ads. When I log in I see no ads using Firefox and adblock.
We also have changed over to Foxfire and seen a reduction in ads....Our "blue space" is now blank. But during the Nov. elections I did see political banner ads for Ohio's Issue #2 / We are Ohio.....On IRV2.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #36
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Google serves ads based on a number of parameters including your past browsing history, your location and also based on the page content that you are currently viewing. So... If you are viewing threads about towing, you are likely to see ads for e-trailer. If you are viewing (or have recently) a thread about handguns you are more likely to see ads in that vein. If you have recently viewed a news source that had political stories on it, you may see political ads. Google seems to be unable to determine your personal stance on many of these issues (yet) so may serve you ads from the 'other party'

Keep an eye on this - it's actually very interesting. I've just been doing some last minute online holiday shopping and am seeing ads for a better deal on the thing I just ordered at amazon

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:21 PM   #37
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't see any ads at all on iRV2.

Plez, what am I doing wrong?

Oops! Never mind, I don't want to know. But I have posted previously what actions I have taken. Firefox, ad-block plus, do not allow tracking cookies, and I also run a HOSTS file.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see a lot of critics of how this forum is run and I can't believe it. You have a choice, abide by the rules or don't use the forum. It is not mine or your forum and therefore we have no say it how it is run. What is so difficult to understand about that?

I have my fireproof suit on, so flame away,.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:41 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I don't see any ads at all on iRV2.

Plez, what am I doing wrong?

Oops! Never mind, I don't want to know. But I have posted previously what actions I have taken. Firefox, ad-block plus, do not allow tracking cookies, and I also run a HOSTS file.
The only problem with running a large local HOSTs file is that it slows down your DNS response time and can cause internet lag. I have one seriously major HOSTs file I used to use that blocked everything. Also caused by browsers to be glitchy because of DNS timeouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I see a lot of critics of how this forum is run and I can't believe it. You have a choice, abide by the rules or don't use the forum. It is not mine or your forum and therefore we have no say it how it is run. What is so difficult to understand about that?

I have my fireproof suit on, so flame away,.
In a general sense, alot of folks come from alot of other forums, in some cases, forums with single sub-sections that are bigger than the entirety of iRV2. Spend enough time in one environment with a standard of moderation that is in some places, far more loose, to one with a far more strict and can be possibly interpreted as extremely "Clique-ish", form of moderation, and you will have more people butting heads with those in charge.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
This is a very interesting thread and I have read it from beginning to end. First of all let me qualify what I'm about to say by stating the general goal of any website, which is to get people to not only visit it, but to come back again and again. Growth is what sustains any forum and irv2 has excelled at that.

Speaking as someone who has been a moderator and still is an admin on a family friendly gaming forum and has served as an admin of 11 family friendly gaming servers, I will state unequivocally, it's all about consistency. When there are inconsistencies in the administration of a forum that forum will fail. Right now, like it or not, irv2 has some inconsistencies and the membership has pointed them out to the admins. The resolution is simple. Make the inconsistencies go away.

This thread is not about whether or not anyone's browser will or won't block the ads. It's about making the ad content consistent with the rules that have been defined by the administrators or making the rules consistent with the ad content. You guys solve that and we can all get back to helping each other out.

Just to be clear, I am not on either side of the gun issue if we're going to talk about them, fine, if not, that's fine too. My only interest here is consistency and the preservation of irv2 as the best RV forum on the internet.

Just my 2 cents
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Weird...I am impervious to ads. Probably because I had not watch much Tv for many years, and when ads were on, I always muted them. I think my eyes must mute them too.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Let it go...................
173dave is offline   Reply With Quote