Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #15

As an RVing board, I personally feel IRV2 has the opportunity, if not the absolute DUTY to encourage revealing and discussing political happenings that DIRECTLY and ADVERSELY affect RVers!

Instances revolving around degrading economy, rising fuel costs, and more, are a very REAL threat to Rvers - especially those of us who are retired and living on limited fixed incomes.

Sticking our heads in the sand, and censoring discussions like these directly affecting Rvers and RVing, might soothe board owners, operators, and advertisers - but do absolutely NOTHING to challenge or counter political activities that most of us certainly DO oppose - regardless of political party!

Rather than Draconian censorship of these issues, I'd far rather see a new forum opened up on this board that not only allows exposure of these political RV threatening activities, but encourage them (under REASONABLE limitations and control!) as at least one focused means we have as RVers to make our voices heard.

After all, where ELSE can RVers as a collective entity express themselves on issues we are directly and adversely affected by?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Moderators are volunteers and iRV2 is a big forum.
I'm not sure what you're saying -- there aren't enough moderators? They're overworked? If it's the former, get more of them. If it's the latter, they can un-volunteer.

Quote:
Moderators are cautious about removing content.
I'm sorry this is the case. Personally, I'd like to see them nuke more, and I don't think I'm alone.

However, I think the bigger issue is with moderators who insert their own political beliefs into threads or dominate a thread.

For example, here's a thread that does both: "Was Irene Overblown?'
  • Out of 119 posts, 38 were from Moderators. That's about 1/3. (This does not help the moderators overworked argument.)
  • Most (33) of the Moderator posts were from RayJ who started the thread.
  • The thread's premise is that the Media misreported hurricane Irene. Mmmm . . . another left-wing-Media-bending-the-facts-to-suit-their-liberal-masters thread? Not at first. But by post #71, we're heading that way:
Moderator RickO posts:
RJay, you seem to separate the role the media played from the role played by elected officials. Is that your intent? What I'm getting at is the image I still have of Gov Christie looking into the cameras (speaking to the citizens of the Jersey Shore areas) and yelling "get the hell out!"

To which Moderator RayJ responds in post #74:
Absolutely, If not the media what source of information do regular people have to get weather information. NOAA weather is excellent but not everyone can receive it.
I don't think the people of Louisiana and New Orleans were served very well by their politicians during Katrina.

And by post #85, chasfm11, apparently emboldened by these Moderator posts, makes the "magical" political leap:

It seems that one of the lost arts today is the accuracy to which you refer. For different reasons, the groups involved (governmental, media) have their own agendas and those agendas apparently trump the public's desire for accurate, factual information. Blah Blah Blah . . .

For the coup d'etat, Moderator-Thread Dominator RayJ is back in post #108 with a Google link to the "was irene used as a stimulus": was irene used as a stimulus - Google Search

In only 119 posts, the "innocent" distrust the Media thread becomes the liberal-Media-misreported-weather-so-that-some-states-could-get- stimulus-money thread.

Quote:
In a perfect world members would exercise some self restraint surrounding this topic - but you can help by reporting problem threads. you can click the little red triangle icon to send an alert to moderators
In the example thread above, I'd be alerting the moderators to themselves. How would you rate the chances of my success?

You have some foxes guarding the hen house Janet H.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #17

If you don't like some threads, don't read them. Seems simple to me.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #18

LOL where's the popcorn, this COULD get GOOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
I'm not sure what you're saying -- there aren't enough moderators? They're overworked? If it's the former, get more of them. If it's the latter, they can un-volunteer.

I'm sorry this is the case. Personally, I'd like to see them nuke more, and I don't think I'm alone.

However, I think the bigger issue is with moderators who insert their own political beliefs into threads or dominate a thread.

For example, here's a thread that does both: "Was Irene Overblown?'
  • Out of 119 posts, 38 were from Moderators. That's about 1/3. (This does not help the moderators overworked argument.)
  • Most (33) of the Moderator posts were from RayJ who started the thread.
  • The thread's premise is that the Media misreported hurricane Irene. Mmmm . . . another left-wing-Media-bending-the-facts-to-suit-their-liberal-masters thread? Not at first. But by post #71, we're heading that way:
Moderator RickO posts:
RJay, you seem to separate the role the media played from the role played by elected officials. Is that your intent? What I'm getting at is the image I still have of Gov Christie looking into the cameras (speaking to the citizens of the Jersey Shore areas) and yelling "get the hell out!"

To which Moderator RayJ responds in post #74:
Absolutely, If not the media what source of information do regular people have to get weather information. NOAA weather is excellent but not everyone can receive it.
I don't think the people of Louisiana and New Orleans were served very well by their politicians during Katrina.

And by post #85, chasfm11, apparently emboldened by these Moderator posts, makes the "magical" political leap:

It seems that one of the lost arts today is the accuracy to which you refer. For different reasons, the groups involved (governmental, media) have their own agendas and those agendas apparently trump the public's desire for accurate, factual information. Blah Blah Blah . . .

For the coup d'etat, Moderator-Thread Dominator RayJ is back in post #108 with a Google link to the "was irene used as a stimulus": was irene used as a stimulus - Google Search

In only 119 posts, the "innocent" distrust the Media thread becomes the liberal-Media-misreported-weather-so-that-some-states-could-get- stimulus-money thread.

In the example thread above, I'd be alerting the moderators to themselves. How would you rate the chances of my success?

You have some foxes guarding the hen house Janet H.

Glad to see I'm not alone out here on this limb....
Old 09-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #20

I'd like to make a modest but practical suggestion (which admittedly only addresses a part of the issue).

I presume the forum software already has a list of words (profanity) that are blocked. Why not simply add to that list those juvenile delibrerate misspellings of political figure's names. They are invariably a political statement, and never contribute anything constructive (not even to a political discussion). They are simply gratuitous insults to the political figures, and his/her supporters.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #21
edj

I was a member of another RV forum that allows political posts. There is one topic area where political posts are to be placed. The problem was that the forum is predominately 'right-wing' type of people. The 'left-wingers' are in the minority and are quickly attacked when they express their views. I was in the latter category and would post arguments to start discussions of different views. Unfortunately, a lot of people can not seem to handle 'logical' argument and discussion. It quickly sunk to name calling and attacks. I argued to ban the political topics several times, but was outvoted by the "free speech" people who wanted a place to post their right-wing views and generally attack all their perceived 'liberal' problems.

I eventually was kicked out of the forum for posting too many liberal arguments and stirring up trouble. Actually, I was glad to be gone from there. I was too stubborn to ignore the silliness that was posted by some.

While I enjoy a calm discussion of opposing views, it quickly degenerates into 'hate' of the opposing view. For that reason, I would oppose opening this forum to political discussions.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'd like to register my disagreement with some of the assessments here of the way this Forum is moderated.
I don't have a lot of experience with Forums, but in my opinion the Moderators of this one are better trained than average.
I think they're very skillful at editing comments that interrupt the flow of discussions, which is how I pretty much see their responsibilities...
Sometimes they have to eliminate whole posts and groups of posts just to get things back on track!
It's no small thing to do that instead of just locking down the thread at the first "whiff" of controversy, as less well-trained Moderators are sometimes inclined to do.
I got mixed up in one of those sweeps not too long after I joined up here. That was a real take-no-prisoners Mass Edit.
Seems to me that about two whole pages of the thread got taken down, and if I remember right I'm not the only one posting in this thread that had their posts thrown out!
But that action returned the thread pretty much to the friendly discussion that had been going on up until then...
It takes skill and training to do that effectively, not to mention the Patience of Job.

And I see nothing wrong- or political- in RJay's starting a thread about Irene.
Besides being a Moderator, he's a member, too-why shouldn't he post a thread?
I followed it with some interest, and think that his continuing posts helped to keep the discussion going.
I wish more O.P.'s stuck with their threads that way- sometimes we go days before realizing that the O.P isn't part of the conversation any more!

Francesca
Old 09-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Too many ARMED members to even think about opening a political site in which to post your views. Not a good idea in my opinion.

Dieselclacker
Old 09-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
This is kinda funny. A thread about not having political threads gets peoples blood boiling. Any wonder why we should not have them?
Old 09-02-2011, 04:13 PM   #25
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I read irv2 to learn and share about my life as an RVer. If I wanted to discuss politics, I would join a political forum. IMHO, it is wrong to expect one forum to meet all needs.

HOWEVER... there is an "ignore" tool on each forum and each thread. Scroll up to the top and click on forum tools or thread tools and choose from the drop down menu.

If the moderators decide to add a politics forum, I'll simply mark it IGNORE.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Veterans Forum

Since we are suggesting different forums for this thing I have a suggestion
LETS FORM A VETERANS THREAD.....
A forum for the Vets to get together and shoot the bull. Swop stories and talk about our time in the military. Honor buddies we lost in service to this country. Talk about Veteran benefits that are available to the guys that gave so much and are getting so little. Talk about wounded Vets coming home missing legs and arms and what we could do to help them. Maybe how we could raise money for these men that gave all while we sat on our ''duff'' and poked at a computer key board and grumbled about the price of gas or we could not park at Wally World because of some ordnance.
If you wanna start another FORUM .. OR A NEW THREAD ....
MAKE IT SOMETHING FOR THE VETERANS. Everyone would be welcome but it would be primarily for the Vets that gave so much to this great nation....

this is me getting off the soap box now.....
( I have asked for this before but it never went anywhere, wish it would now)

Fly the flag on 9/11 please...... NEVER FORGET .... N E V E R ....
Old 09-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #27
Community Administrator

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
We are going to close this thread in the hope that we can move on to RV related topics.

Several points however need to be addressed.

Regarding moderators: If you have a criticism or conflict with a moderator, please take the matter up privately. We do not publicly discuss moderation matters especially where one individual is concerned. If you have a conflict with an individual member the same holds true. Do not engage them in a war of words or public fingerpointing - take it up privately.

Regarding the addition of a new forum for politics: No. We are an RV forum. There are plenty of great forums where you can discuss politics to your hearts content - iRV2 is not the venue for those discussions.

Regarding censorship: We hope that members who have been told repeatedly that political discussions are not permitted will remember this before they post. Sadly this is not always the case and we do sometime remove content. Repeated posting in opposition to our forum rules sometimes results in account restrictions. It's important to remember that this is not an open forum - it is privately owned and members are expected to participate in the manner in which they agreed to when joining.

Wouldn't it be lovely if everyone did?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Closed Thread