Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What are your thoughts about the new law requiring a passport at the USA-Canadian & Mexican border
I AM FOR THE NEW LAW 64 73.56%
NO OPINION 5 5.75%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-16-2005, 11:55 AM   #29
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Borderbuster:
However I am in favor of an universal Identity card with embedded transponder that would trip database sensors containing biographical information needed by border authorities as well as any others with a need to know. The catch is to figure out who should issue it.
Randy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
universal Identity card? and isn't it presently called a PASSPORT? The key word you said is UNIVERSAL. It sounds like you are saying our passports aren't really that good and if that is the case, then improvements should be made there rather than to have some other card. You know yourself that most countries will not accept an ID card for their citizens that is made/issued in another country ...if so, it would be the first ever, right?

iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2005, 01:33 PM   #30
Rich&Zara, others

No, I mean Passports are a pain in the butt to carry for ID purposes only. If the passport had the transponder and was the size of a credit card, then they would be Okay.

I see no advantage in carrying a portfolio of documents to identify myself with the electronics and communication systems we have now. Less is better the way I look at it.

My opinion changes if either the electronics and communication are not available, but this is not the case when you enter the USA and Canada. Homeland Security has one of the best if not the best electronic communication systems in the world.(You paid for it

I also realize countries other than the USA do not have the technology in place for the transponder ID card and until that happens Passports will still be used. I just don't want to carry a suitcase of documents just to get back into my own country.

By the way, most new passports issued have data strips that can be read by a document reader however that requires the passport be manually swiped and if that is done to every person that crosses the border you can bet the lineups will be huge at the major US border crossings.

Wouldn't it be nice if by the time you reached the border, the borderguards would already know if you were admissable? This would be possible with transponder ID.

I would like to remind everybody that the 9-11 terrorists were admitted legally to the USA with genuine documents including passports and state department issued visas.

ps. I have a passport and carry it!

Randy, Karen and a couple of mangy cats
93 Hawkins 36DP, 03 Explorer
Borderbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 01:54 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you really want to get folks cranked up, consider a microchip like you have put into your dog or cat. With a simple hand scanner, they could pull up your life history.

Just food for thought.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 02:24 PM   #32
TXiceman, others

Nice website, you in any of the pictures?
Yeah, nothing stirs people up more than gun control or proof of citizenship. After 34 years of looking at ID and matching it to the person I have become somewhat opinionated about it.
Never did get tired of talking to the people though. When you meet a new person every 30 seconds or so it can get interesting.
I always liked the RV'rs best, they usually were the happiest travelers and had the best stories.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:46 PM   #33
Lets see, theres over 3000 miles of unguarded border between the USA and Canada that stretches from Maine to Washington state, and thats not including all the Great Lakes, where if a terrorist wanted to, he could row a boat across to get into either country undetected, now lets move South, where every waking moment hundreds of people everyday are walking across unguarded borders that stretches from Texas to California, now would someone please tell me how a $98.00 passport is going to stop undesirables from entering the U.S. from Canada or Mexico.
cpo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:27 PM   #34

Couldn't've said it better. And what about ALL those people who are trying to get in THE RIGHT WAY? Talk about cutting in line!

Amen, brother, Amen!
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:38 AM   #35
Well said cpo3
PhilnJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:14 AM   #36
Cpo3 is right, those who are determined to get across are getting across and will continue to do so, regardless of the documentation required to do it legaly. The only thing a passport might be usefull for is to identify people who are already in the country.
Wilber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:12 AM   #37
If I trust the local newspapers, recently there was an article on how there were 1600 drive-throughs at the Candian border going into the States in 2004. This was due to the fact that the customs people do not have enough resources to adequately protect the entire length of the border.

As for passports...never leave home without it. I have a Golden Age Pass and Québec licence plates and upon entering some Nat'l Parks, there is quite a question on how this could be. Of course, once my U.S. passport is shown then they let me pass.

Also very handy for changing travelers checks, banking..yeah banking. I stopped at a bank and the teller asked me for an ID, so I showed her my passport and then she asked me if I had anything else, like a driver's licence. I showed my licence, but at that time there was no photo on it. LOL.

Even though there always have been drive-throughs, would I try it? No way!
The Roadrunner

2Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 09:44 AM   #38
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Val:

"I traveled to Alaska last summer through Canada-- as a retired law enforcement -- I was really shocked at how slack the border check was.
The border guards did not come in the motorhome -- they just asked questions. Checked our personal ids.-- did not even check the dogs health certificates. "

Every time we cross into the USA. The Customs Officers are more concerned if we are carrying BEEF or CHICKEN than who we are and the purpose of our visit. They didn't even ask if our dog had it's rabbi shots.

On both sides of the border the officers are busy typing in your licence number as you squeese your way towards their booth. They know a lot more than you may think just by your plate number. The only time a US Custom agent entered our motorhome was to see the layout as he was shopping for a unit.
2006 Itasca Suncruiser 38T
W24 Chassis.
2012 Toyota Corrola XRS
Suncruiser Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 03:40 PM   #39
Steve is right and their computer systems are linked. When the border guy types in your licence number when you are returning, he knows when and where you left the country.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:22 PM   #40
Send a message via MSN to FatDog
They type in your license number while re-entering the U.S. from Baja as well, but don't enter it while leaving. But I presume it does give them a lot of info.
F350 PSD 4x4 SRW, BanksBrake, FOX res shocks, MagHytec, DP tuner, JohnWood tranny;
'63 hog; ChrisCraft Launch VP8.1 ;
3 hound dogs
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:03 PM   #41
Don't know about Mexico but the Canadian and US computer systems are linked.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:31 PM   #42
Actually, the US and Canadian systems are linked via the human system, not electronically. Most of the shared info comes from a phone call, some from fax, some email and all require some permissions and a lot of responsibility.
Quite a lot of the database information is subject to the Freedom of Information Act, Privacy Act, and half a dozen other Laws and Regulations.

CPO3, were you ever in Blaine,WA. in the 70's? send me a PM if you were, There are a couple of ex CPO's still here that I hang with.