Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: What are your thoughts about the new law requiring a passport at the USA-Canadian & Mexican border
I AM FOR THE NEW LAW 64 73.56%
NO OPINION 5 5.75%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-24-2005, 09:32 AM   #43
As already mentioned, this will be a requirement at the US-Mexico border as well.

I work in Mexico and have absolutely no problem with this law - set to go into effect 12/31/07.

Most of the complaints I've heard seem to be regarding the expense involved with getting a passport. IMO, $97 for something that'll last 10 years is a pretty good deal.

2007 K-Z Spree 320BHS
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3 PSD
Photo Gallery
Between Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2005, 09:38 AM   #44
I predict a bureaucratic red tape backlog of UNPRECEDENTED proportions! The Border Patrol will be laying off agents because they won't have any cars to inspect of months, maybe years, until all the Passport Applications have been processed. The Mexican Tourism Board is already in a panic. The border towns alone have sooooo many people that 'cross-over' daily just 'to do lunch' or visit Grandma it's rediculous to think of how many people are going to have to get a U.S. Passport. AND, not everyone that wants a Passport, gets one. Do you owe more than $5000.00 in back child support? BUZZZEEERRRR, you're not getting a Passport!!! A Felon? There are lots of reason that you might not be able to get one. So, if you're even contemplating EVER crossing a U.S. border....you'd better get that application filled out and turned in NOWWW!!!! Oly1

Alden, Cindy and Ryan Oliver
'87 Ford F-350 CrewCab 4x4 DRW with ATS Turbo on 7.3 liter IDI Diesel pulling a 29ft 5th wheel, 1988 Fleetwood - Wilderness - Cimarron
Oly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 02:27 PM   #45
Send a message via MSN to FatDog
maybe the felons won't be crisscrossing the borders as much,
but something tells me that the Border Patrol will still be busy, already there is talk about speeding up the Baja crossing with paying a couple bucks each passing for 'rapid cross' priveledge,
who IS going to get even busier though, is the post-stations in making passports. I bet this is going to turn from a 6 week process to half that time as the popularity of this idea catches on.
a lot of people wanting to spend a few days at Estero Beach Resort AND visit grandma for the day.
streamline the crossing and streamline the passport process,
unite the north American continent as much as possible for the law abiding travelers, they will keep on coming
F350 PSD 4x4 SRW, BanksBrake, FOX res shocks, MagHytec, DP tuner, JohnWood tranny;
'63 hog; ChrisCraft Launch VP8.1 ;
3 hound dogs
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:44 PM   #46
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you owe more than $5000.00 in back child support? BUZZZEEERRRR, you're not getting a Passport!!! A Felon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And there is something wrong with this? Why would we want people that refuse to support their children being able to leave the country? IMHO, if you made 'em, support 'em. The kids didn't do anything other than be born.
Sorry, my sopabox.
Ken and Fran

2006 Mobile Scout 31 BWKS
53 Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:23 AM   #47

It sounds to me like we are retrogressing in having to use a century old system of identification in the tech age!

The European Community caught on and literally eliminated borders and visas.

Systems like Nexus or other high tech method would seem to make a lot more sense.

As to Canadian border agents being too lax, I have seen no difference between the two countries in our many, many crossings. Sometimes you breeze through and sometimes you go through the third degree.

As to a "drop dead" secure form of ID, you have to wonder who the heck really opposes the implementation? To me, it's folks with things to hide or fraud on their minds.

Retical Scan anyone?

Bob and Lois, Snowbirds!

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:50 AM   #48
I don't see a problem with a Passport being required, this is something that should of happened a long time ago. I've had a passport since I was 15, and the expense isn't so great. It lasts 10 years.... unless you are under 18, which it is 5.
Jason, Noi,Nikky (23 month old) and Jaycee (2 months) and Lady(our spoiled 6 year old Lab-Chow)
K2bikerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 06:14 AM   #49
Send a message via MSN to FatDog
the Baja, and i believe also the Canadian, border have some degree of automated entry called SENTRI (secure entry .?..?).

The system at the southern border near where i live, which has an overwhelming border crossing traffic level, IS undergoing growing pains, but at least is a hint of ideas to come.

it involves a speed pass type card AND module for the car, both of which must match each other electronically upon use.

i don't know how an 'old-fashioned' paper passport will blend in with a new digital 'speed pass', but again I don't see the harm in having one either.

there is some degree of screening of those people issued the SENTRI passes. maybe the inherent risks in 'this degree of screening' is what makes having a backup passport necessary?

i would wonder if any of the people who cross the border to and from Canada have heard of or use the SENTRI system
F350 PSD 4x4 SRW, BanksBrake, FOX res shocks, MagHytec, DP tuner, JohnWood tranny;
'63 hog; ChrisCraft Launch VP8.1 ;
3 hound dogs
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:55 AM   #50
This is a very interesting topic. I am all for passports - for goodness sakes, Canada and Mexico are foreign countries! We don't want foreigners coming to our country without proof of who they are and how long they are staying, do we?

Also, I think a National Identity card would be useful (though, as it was stated earlier - it is replication of a passport) to have in your wallet. America is the only country I know of that doesn't have some sort of program like this.

I would like to say something about the form of ID many Americans use - a drivers license. It is a license to drive, nothing else! It does not confirm your nationality in any way. In my state all you need is a birth certificate (from any country, my own American child was born overseas)and some sort of bank statement or utility bill showing you live in the state to take the driving test.

We lived in Taiwan for several years, and I had a Taiwanese Drivers License - certainly didn't make me a citizen.

I never leave town without my passport. It is in our coach right now - you just never know!
tgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:47 AM   #51

Canada for one has no real valid National I.D. system other than the outmoded easealy forgeable passport.

Many Provinces have toyed with the idea of a foolproof card, carrying photo, fingerprint, bar code or whatever but have always regressed because of the wails from the civil libertinians who saw it as an invasion of privacy.

Bob and Lois, Snowbirds!

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:07 AM   #52
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cpo3:
Lets see, theres over 3000 miles of unguarded border between the USA and Canada that stretches from Maine to Washington state, and thats not including all the Great Lakes, where if a terrorist wanted to, he could row a boat across to get into either country undetected, now lets move South, where every waking moment hundreds of people everyday are walking across unguarded borders that stretches from Texas to California, now would someone please tell me how a $98.00 passport is going to stop undesirables from entering the U.S. from Canada or Mexico. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is no way a passport or ID card will stop infiltration if a terrorist wants to get into the US. Once again it will only prove an honest man HONEST, and provide another tax grab for respective Govs.
PhilnJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 03:44 PM   #53
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: Since my wife's mother lived in Calgary (she died about 1 1/2 years ago) we have been to Canada many times. We have driven the car and motorhome and flown our little airplane. Generally, the crossing proceedures are simple and reasonable. Flying there is interesting. You simply file a flight plan (Canada requires this) with a note to notify customs. In Calgary you simply stop at a little building on the apron which has a telephone and let them know you arrived. They ask a couple of questions, and in less than 60 seconds give you a number and tell you to go about your busines. The US has a procedure to simplify things by having you file a questionaire in advance giving informationn about who you are and how you may be reached. Otherwise, a customs agent comes to the airplane and checks your luggage. (How much can you carry in 200 lbs on a Turbo Arrow?) We carry passports because we travel to other places that require them. But the point is that if you have reason to cross the border between Canada or Mexico on a routine basis there could be something on file that expedites the procedure. If you go only a few times a year what difference does it make? I for one would appreciate any effort that makes terrorism more difficult. The problem is that more effort costs more money and someone has to pay for the effort.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:06 PM   #54
passports, just a thought in 02 we got a passport as we travel from alaska to the lower 48 and if, god forbid, another 9-11 happened we did not want to get stuck in canada. just went to the local post office with our birth certificates, they took our picture wife wrote them a check and in about two weeks we had our passsports. just my thoughts.
mcgillagorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:29 AM   #55
Hello Zara, Welcome to the rest of the world. Our first class P.O. in Longview, WA, has a big sign just inside the door that says Apply for your Passport Here, 10AM to 3PM, Mon thru Fri.
The small rural P.O.s at Vader, Winlock, Napavine, etc. dont mention it. But the PM will tell you where to go , if asked.
Dick and Joanne,

Cisco and Pancho,
DickNJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #56
Many Post Offices in Washington offer passports, Aberdeen, Bremerton and many, many others. Nationwide the Post Offices are the single largest source of places to go for Passports.

2001 40' Beaver Thunder
2007 Chevy Silverado
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote