Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2015, 07:53 AM   #71

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You know, Ken....you keep saying you're not amazing, but anyone willing to put themselves out there and be so transparent about their personal struggles, is pretty awesome, no matter what they think. Like others, I just stumbled across this thread only very recently, and I wish I had found earlier. I'm being treated for prostate cancer myself, and while it's too early for me to know any results, there's been enough cancer in my family that it's difficult for me to be overly confident that this will be the last I'll deal with it. What's been nice to see, in your writing, is your positive attitude and concern about your loved ones as well as your own health. Should my own future bring similar challenges, I hope I have learned something from your model. Good luck in your fight, and know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 03:24 AM   #72

So, since last we spoke, things have taken a change for the worse.

I believe that I mentioned that I now have a hernia. I wondered why a man's hernia was not called a "himnea", but discovered the answer to that. A himnea would never treat his host so badly.

Anyway, this thing has gotten so bad that at it's peak, it about paralises me where I am at the time. Can't move. Can't sit up/down, stand, lay down or anything. Finally, on Monday, I called the VA's General Surgeon. Told the nurse my situation and as much as I appreciate the VA's help and support, something needed to be done NOW. Well, she informed me that I already have an appointment mid January to which I replied "if you can find me a definition of "NOW" as two months down the road, I would wait. So she offered December 10th and I countered with "never mind, I woud hitch-hike to Boliva and have it done there" finally agreed on November 19th (tomorrow). In the mean time, Hospice (since they don't need to justify ANY medication so long as it is used to reduce pain and increase comfort.) So, they have been keeping me pretty much juiced up on Morphine and a few other things I can't pronounce. Problem is, as long as I am on the juice, can't do much of anything, especially drive. Been pretty much of a circus ever since, trying to get two vehicles from point "A" to point "B" and back with A one stuborn and old woman, B a cranky yet refined elderly gentleman trying to figure out A and C through a thick drug induced fog. and C a redhead that can't understand why B keeps trying to tell her how to do things she has never done before, involves a 40,000lb motor coach and 20,000 Texans, 90% of whom never knew a driver's manual existed, much less opened one.

So, at precisely 9:35 tomorrow morning, I will be getting some answers I want to hear or I am telling Mother.

Anyway, gotta go find me some more Morphine.

OH, and just to show you how bad things are getting, yesterday, while home alone, I get a call from what sounded like a very nice yound woman, claiming to be from Hospice, and wanting to get a time when she could come over and give me a bath. I just said, I really don't need that yet, thanked her, and hung up. It was about then that I realized what I had done. A guy just has to pay attention to his health concerns.

Gotta go

Ken Gasbarri

Old 11-19-2015, 08:09 AM   #73

Tiffin Owners Club
Hang in there Ken. Keep the good attitude.
We're still praying for you.

By the way... I've learned that not all phone voices turn out to be what you thought they would be.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #74
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Still praying!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:45 AM   #75

Well, made my Doctor's appointment. Left about an hour later with a whole new approach to my life.

First of all, the surgery thing is just not going to work. If I should survive the surgery itself, I would be trading one set of issues for another. So, long story short, what I jokingly refer to as "my life" now consists of staying as comfort as possible, with as little pain as possible. All the doctors agree.

AND, I am pleased with my lot in life at the moment.

It is strangely comfortable to have a better insght to what awaits. I think first of all, I need to get a better handle on my commications skills, or lack there of. (I spent at least an hour trying to type this). Soon as I learn to talk and type, the first thing I am going to try is sitting around doing squat. It appears that if I am to be successful at the latter, I will need to get better at the former, but that won't happen until I get better at the latter.

Anyway, it appears I have anywhere from One to three months to experience the things that I am no longer interested in, able to, or can afford to do. Sounds like fun.

Gotta go

Ken Gasbarri
Old 11-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #76
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Ken, so sorry you didn't get a better report! Please think about the things we talked about. Still praying!

Old 11-21-2015, 06:41 AM   #77

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ken, I believe that feeling is God's grace. I don't know squat but have seen peace come into my loved ones demeanor. We all walk this bridge and are met on the other side by crossing guards. It's ok, all is well.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:27 AM   #78

God bless Ken
Old 11-21-2015, 09:36 AM   #79

Yes. God Bless you Ken.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:52 AM   #80

Watching the world begin to come apart each night on the news, I get depressed...then I read your latest posts...Ken, you continue to remind me that the world has humility, grace, beauty, goodness, hope, fellowship, good cheer, friendship, honor, bravery, duty and love. You have given me a gift I can never repay - the gift of quiet relfection - thank you from the bottom of my heart for your postings, and the life you are living. Thank you for serving your country and serving the RV community, both of which I am a part of. God is still here, teaching me about goodness and courage through you. I am lucky to have found you through these portals - I came here not too long ago hoping to find some tips on my fiver. As you say, I got my nickel's worth...

You say you're no hero. Ken, you're my hero...God Bless You and your family.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:32 AM   #81

Well, the world seems to keep turning, so I guess that is good. I am doing not so very bad. Between the VA, and Hospice, I am comfortable. Not much pain, and still able to get aroun and do things (just not drive).

Our eldest Daughter (ShannOn) moved down here about a year ago. Her Mother is picking up most of the tab, so that is nice. And, it really is nice to have her near by. She is an insane red head, but like Peg, she always comes through.

Then Saturday, our younger Daughter (Dani) and Grand Daughter hopped on a plane an flew down from Denver for the Thanksgiving week.

Our youngest Son lives in Georgia, and was packing up ready to make the trip, but we asked him not to. Too much of a trip with 3 kids, and they have a very tough attendance policy for the kids where they live.

Saturday night, we all got together (with the kids in Hawaii) on some kind of program on the computer and had a grand time. The grand kids took turns putting on skits about a grumpy, demented, silly old "Papa", and then we all made some kind of lip sync thing, and of course, Papa and Gramma stole the show on how not to do that stuff, so we all laughed hard and had a grand time.

Today, my ladies took me to "Hooters" to watch the Broncos' game. Lots of fun, and attractive young ladies as waitresses, but it's the girls that are Broncos fans. I was pretty smart. I didn't eat too much, or drink too much iced tea, so didn't have any issues. Again, lots of fun. Tuesday, Dani's husband drives down, and Wednesday, ShannOn's boy flies in for Thanksgiving.

I did get a bit stupid and didn't wear my hernia truss, and about half way through the day, I started paying for it. I think I have a pretty good routine down. Now I just have to stick to it.

I have a couple "useless" appointments at the VA tomorrow and then, we are pretty much "astranged" unless something big changes.

There are times when I feel I will live forever, and then, sometimes I just want to crawl into a hole and pull it closed over me. I guess it is no different than what others in my situation are going through.

I've got most all of the important things on the "honey dew" list complete. The rest are fairly easy, and Peg is perfectly capable of doing herself, or conning someone else into doing it for her.

OK, gotta go. Fingers still working, but the hernia is getting a bit unruly, so, I am going to do some meds and head back to bed.

Sorry to be so long winded. I'll be better next time

Ken Gasbarri
Old 11-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #82
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the update Ken! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Old 11-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
Just found this thread... and can relate to the hernia...

I had a double one a few years back...
a sportsman all my life, did all kinds of stupid things, and blew them both out by getting tired of sneezing from my allergies and trying to hold a sneeze in !

Something had to give and wow... I can sympathize with your pain... I was able to get the surgery and started taking allergy medicine most of the year so as to never feel that pain again

Attitude is 90% of the battle Ken... my prayers have been added to the groups and I KNOW they can be answered. maybe not on our timetable, but on His.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:25 PM   #84

Wow, if anyone out there is thinking of dying in the not to distant future, you might want to reconsider.

Dying is hard work, and busy work.

We have been on the phone, had Dr. appointments, being visited by someone in the health field, or trying to explain to the girls why we don't answer as soon as they call, or be where we are suppose to be since 7:00 this morning.

Good grief. We've had people call to comfirm an appointment that was cancelled two weeks ago, so they have their supervisor call and ask why we cancelled our appointment. When I explain it is a bit silly, a waste of the VA's time and money to find out why the front signal light is not working, when the whole damn car is about to be dumped in the crusher. So then the Dr. calls and tells us it is the right decision, and she will have the scheduler call in a month or so to see if anything has changed. These are all well meaning people, trying to do their job and provide the best care they can, but it sure does get overwhelming at times.

The girls are getting along just fine, and life is good. Feeling very good today. Wearing my truss, taking my meds, and just staying out of everyone's way is working well for me. Oh, and it doesn't hurt that those "stumble bum" Green Bay Packers finally won a game.

OK, gotta go. Dinner at ShannOn's house and we are invited.

Ken Gasbarri